“Best customer service from a hotel...ever”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff at The Surfcomber was absolutely wonderful. I stayed at this hotel for my bachelorette party and the staff treated it as a special event. I was given champagne on check in and then a whole bottle was delivered to my room while I was at dinner the first night with a handwritten note from the concierge. The pool wait staff were fun and very attentive. After my first night, most everyone addressed me by my name and asked how my party was going. I will return to the Surfcomber the next time I'm in SoBe no matter what the occasion.

Room Tip: I did not have a choice whether I wanted a courtyard view or not but lucked out with one. My friends...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Lenore M-

Thank you for spending your bachelorette weekend with us! We are honored that we could be a part of the occasion, and happy we helped make it memorable. Don't forget about us for the honeymoon!

-Nick

Write a ReviewReviews (3,553)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My daughter and I travelled to SoBe to celebrate her 16th birthday. From the moment we arrived at the Surfcomber we were made to feel welcome, comfortable and important. We arrived at noon, as we had an early morning flight from Montreal, and were promptly checked-in and upgraded, no questions asked; no waiting until check-in time. The rooms are smallish, but very well appointed and lets face it, we were not there to hang around in the room. I know that many people get irked by resort fees charged by hotels, but I think for $20 per day you get a lot for your money. The chairs are comfortable and include cushion covers and BIG beach towels, both of which can be changed upon request. There is food and drink service at the beach; there is no pressure to order and the lunch service we received from Christian was fab! We were there during the World Cup and it was really nice to watch the games on one of two huge outdoor screens. Poolside is lively with lots going on, We especially liked the cold fruit-infused water and available sunscreen. The location of this property is wonderful, it truly is beachfront, with no other properties in front of it. You are right next door to the SLS (check out the cool cars in the parking lot) and steps from the Ritz Carlton and Lowes hotel. Two blocks to Lincoln Mall and a few more blocks to Espanola Way. We did not have a car and were able to walk comfortably every where we wanted to go. I can't say enough about the staff at the hotel, it doesn't matter who you asked the response was always attentive and prompt. The loyalty program at Kimpton gives some really nice perks, like free Wi-Fi (a must when travelling with teenagers), in room mini-bar credit and spa discounts, no reason not to sign up, it's free! We had a continental breakfast included with our room rate, the breakfast consisted of either toast/bagel/croissant and some fresh fruit along with fresh OJ and coffee. There was also complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby, so I got my additional fix on the way to the pool or beach! There is complimentary wine served at 5pm in the lobby for those who like to indulge. We stayed at the property from Tuesday through Friday the highlight for my daughter would have been when we arrived back to the room and found 2 red velvet cupcakes and big helium balloon and a birthday card signed by the staff.....a simple touch that makes one feel, important. A big shout out to Luz, who I'm quite certain had something to do with that! We had an early evening flight on the Friday and for a nominal fee were offered to keep our room until 4pm. This allowed us an extra day at the beach.....and we didn't have to pay an extra resort fee.....now that's a class act! No property is perfect and we were a bit puzzled as to why we didn't get turn-down service, when housekeeping specifically knocked on the door and asked if we wanted it, but these little things just do not matter when you look at the big picture. We travel quite a bit, and hope to one day return to the Surfcomber, in the mean time we've told all our friends about it!

Room Tip: We found the hotel to be very quiet, we had a room that looked over the courtyard. Not much of a vi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia H

Patricia H-

Thank you for choosing to spend your daughter's birthday with us at Surfcomber! It was great to hear that we made you feel welcome, important, and comfortable! That is exactly what we strive for. We will be sure to share the great feedback with the entire team and tighten up on the turndown service which we offer upon request. We can't wait to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

It's always a pleasure to enter the hotel and the staff to wish you a good day, or some other polite comment. Small things like this matter, and made my stay at the hotel very enjoyable. Iwill be back.
If you've forgotten something the hotel will get it, and the important stuff is free! The resort fee is a bargin, with tea and coffee available in the morning, and wine in the late afternoon. The only grumble I have is that the scope and size of the fitness center could do with improving.
A great hotel, with a great atmosphere. A must stay when in South Beach.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

AnthonyDB-

Thank you for the recent stay and great review. We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've stayed at a few places in Miami (the W, the ex-gansevoort, Loews, fountainebleau, canyon ranch, boulan) but opted to stay at the Surfcomber this trip as I typically prefer smaller, boutique hotels. This was my first and definitely my LAST stay at the Surfcomber. Nothing was out-right terrible but NOTHING qualified as great either.
The lobby / reception area is quite underwhelming. As many others have said, the rooms are very small but mine also smelled old & dank.The first floor hotel layout is unfortunate with a hallway of rooms located by the dining area. If you're unlucky enough to be in one of those rooms (as I was), you will have the distinct pleasure of feeling like you are in the dining area while trying to sleep. The saving grace was the air conditioner. The AC clicking on was akin to a 747 take off but at least it drowned out the noise!!
Speaking of drowning, the pool area leaves much to be desired. It's pretty much just a pool with some chairs. There is NOTHING fancy about it. Please be aware of the Saturday pool party prior to booking, it's truly a tawdry crowd. And because the hotel is so small & the party so loud, you're only refuge is to leave the hotel completely or retreat to the beach (for many hours).

Please don't be fooled by its trip advisor status. The Surfcomber has been GROSSLY OVERRATED! At best, it is an "average" hotel that is in need of real renovation, not just a coat of paint. There are so many better options for the same price in South Beach, don't waste you're money at the Surfcomber! Yuck, it's gross.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel instead
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Docpatz

Docpatz-

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I have reached out with a private message to further understand your experience.

Warm regards,

Nick

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We want to thank everyone again for making our stay in south beach a great one. The entire staff is second to none at the Surfcomber. Monty met us at the door with a smile and Kenneth at the front desk went out of his way to help us with nightlife choices that were so helpful and right on. Chris M. is the best at making you feel special as a guest and truly cares about whether your day is going well.. Chris B takes care of you at the pool and goes out of his way to make sure you get the spot you want around the pool. These people are the best we will continue to come back!
Parrish & Kristi Petry
York,PA

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Parrish & Kristi-

Thank you for staying with us at Surfcomber! We appreciate the glowing comments of our amazing team (yeah I like to brag once and a while)! We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Don't understand how This hotel had great trip advisor reviews. No access to the pool on a hot Sunday at the end of June. We ended up at the beach. Very difficult to get service there. Although the staff really tried but were overwhelmed by the amount of people.

Restaurant had mediocre service We had to go inside because pool was closed and we couldn't have lunch at the beach. It took 30 minutes for a
Sandwich.

• Stayed: June 2014

Ann G-

I am very sorry that we let you down during your stay with us. The pool has closed due to an unexpected mechanical issue. This is certainly not normal for us and we worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. This did create a much busier beach than expected, but have put some contigency plans in place to avoid a similar situation. Your feedback regarding restaurant service will be shared with our new restaurant GM so we can correct. My apologies again for the issues during your stay. We do hope that you give us another chance to show you the proper Surfcomber experience.

Regards,

Nick

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Although we only stayed one night, my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit at the Surfcomber. When we first arrived the valet was friendly and helpful. Even though our room wasn't ready yet, Alex at the front desk was very nice and helpful and offered to keep our luggage and call us when the room was ready. The location is wonderful--right in the Art Deco district and on the beach. The beach attendants, Vinny and Christian were cheerful, happy, and friendly. Our favorite thing was the Saturday night pool party and DJ. Security was present and only hotel guests were allowed to attend--we really liked that. For dinner, we walked across the street and ate sushi which was also wonderful. Although the room was a little small and the bathroom very small, my daughter and I were comfortable and it was exceptionally cleaned and well kept. When we visit Miami again we will definitely go back!

Stayed: June 2014

Bennirice-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Surfcomber. We appreciate you taking the time to share your great stay! We will be waiting for your return visit!