“Miami Vice the hotel”

Ranked #22 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Miami Vice the hotel”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Okay so its a bit old, okay so its a bit cheesy. But man this is the Miami vibe. The staff are great and the beach is of course Miami all over. Just down from the good part of South Beach you can walk out and have a great evening and its a good place to relax in the evening overlooking the sea.

This is a hotel to relax at and face that you are in Miami with everything that entails, just hire a convertible, put the Miami vice theme on the stereo and enjoy. There are things this hotel could do better, but that would only make the experience worse.

Room Tip: Get high and get on the south side where you are looking towards the cooler areas.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Seat62A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Turkish first
Treasure Coast, FL
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We usually stay further north when we go to Miami Beach however we had some family in town who were staying here and we wanted to be close. We had our kids with us so we got two rooms. Upon getting home (and a few days passing before we finished unpacking), we discovered that our kindergartner's iPod touch was missing. We figured we'd left it plugged into the wall and considered it long gone. I called the hotel anyhow and the nicest guy (Javier, I believe) answered my call. He said he'd check with lost and found and get back to me. No more than 20 minutes later he called and said indeed it was there and that they would UPS it to me. Two days later it was on our front step. A big thank you to the honest housekeeping staff and helpful front desk staff!

Room Tip: Ask if an upgrade is available when you check in. We had two regular rooms the first night and were...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LtCheeseWhiz
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night after returning from a cruise. We arrived at about 930 am, so I did not expect to be able to check in, but they found us a room right away. I am MR Platinum, and we booked a basic city view room using points, but they upgraded us to a Concierge Level Partial Ocean View room which was nice. It seems like all of the rooms had a balcony, and were very modern and comfortable. The hotel had two pools on the east side of the hotel (so no sun in the afternoon) and is right on the beach. I saw marriott umbrellas and chairs on the beach, but we just laid on the sand because it was so soft, so I'm not sure if you had to pay for the chairs or not. Towels were also provided.

For dinner we walked about 3 or 4 blocks to Joe's Stone Crab, which was fantastic. When we returned, we sat on the back deck where they had fire pits and couches. It looked like they also had cabanas you could rent during the day with individual tvs and a refrigerator. I really liked this hotel and was sad that we only got to stay one night. It would be nice to go back for a weekend.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keb1234
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed one night on points needing to pick up my parents from a cruise at the Port of Miami at 7am the next morning. First off, its location to the Port is great, about 7 minutes. We checked in an I used points and it was 35,000 points for a city view (meaning street view), which is pretty steep. I also belong to Starwood Resorts as well and their top tier properties are 20,000-30,000 points per night. We checked in and I asked the Mgr at the front desk if we could have a better view room and he was pretty accommodating since I am a Gold Member. He gave us a "partial ocean view, handicapped accessible" room. The balconies at the hotel are staggered so the partial view really ended up being a view of the balcony in the room next to us and its occupants standing on the balcony peering into our room. We ended up have to close the drapes all together. The room really had seen better days and since it was handicapped accessible the shower head was only about 5 feet high so my husband and I both had to crouch down to shower. Upon getting out of bed in the am the sheets had come loose from the duvet and there was blood on the duvet which totally grossed me out. IMO, not a Category 7 property at all.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sakjptk
Detroit
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed 3 nights at the Marriott SB over Thanksgiving. Since I am a Gold status Marriott member, we were upgraded to a partial ocean view, given concierge lounge access and given free internet access. The lounge is quite nice because you can get free breakfast, snacks and desserts throughout the day.
Unlike many hotels on Ocean Drive, the hotel is directly on the beach and has convenient access. The location is quiet which was important to me. The rooms are a little small, but served our needs just fine. Plenty of room for our items in the bathroom.
There was some nice seating outside near the pool for reading, etc. Only issue was that many people were smoking outside, even though Marriott is supposed to be 100% smoke free. I think they are lax on this because of the Miami culture of cigar smoking as the norm. I will be reporting my concerns to Marriott on this.
Hotel is only a few blocks away from Joe's Stone Crab which we ended up dining at for 2 nights. The hotel is on 2nd street, which is a bit south of all the heavy action, but worked great for us. A good stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Okapi
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 November 2011

What was once my favorite SB hotel is fast becoming a worn out, wanna be. With a great quiet location south of 5th street and a lack of pretension, the SB Marriott has always been a great choice. But my last visit was disappointing with Blaring music poolside, AstroTurf under the chaise lounge that was never clean, and chain-smoking Europeans. Inside, the gym has switched from full-size towels to little rags that are no bigger than a wash cloth. At the SB Marriott, Seth and the gang try to please, but the hotel feels out of date, shabby and cramped compared to the many other options nearby. For a start, I'd revamp the concierge floor, give the place a good cleaning, update the Restaurant and menu, and turn down the music.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank karolinakev
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The rooms were nice, nothing spectacular; but very nice and comfortable. The pool area was small; but beautiful. The staff was VERY pleasant and accomodating. ALL OF THEM. One of the front desk ladies actually help me staple some wings to my holloween costume. The location is cool. There is a Walgreens around the corner. The center of Ocean Drive is a couple of blocks down. There is a bike rental right outside the hotel is you don't feel like walking.
The food at the Deco Blue resturant was very delicious (but pricey the buffet was $23 ouch!) the view of the pool and the ocean are lovely.

Only con: The elevators were slow. It felt like i was waiting for a bus at times.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends