“Good location but a few points let it down”

Marriott Stanton South Beach
Ranked #24 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2014

So here is where I have a dilemma about Trip Advisor ratings. If I rate it as three then it is deemed to be average and if I rate it as four then it is very good and the Marriott Stanton falls in between the two. Maybe time for trip advisor to drop the "poor" and "terrible" and put in a "good" category.
There are some real positives about the hotel so let me start with those. It is in a really good location at the southern end of South beach close enough to restaurants but far enough away from the "noise". It is also fit on the beach and has a very nice pool area. Catherine who worked at the pool is excellent. The rooms are also well designed although, by American standards, a bit on the small side. If you have access to the executive club lounge then use that. Breakfast was good and the views are great from the roof
In terms of things that need improving the gym is very small and in a room with no windows which is a shame given the location. It feels like an after thought and the equipment is a bit old. One side of reception is nice and modern while the other side is rather drab.
And then there are things that need to be improved. The internet is painfully slow. Not acceptable these days Marriotts. It is also expensive at $13/day. Secondly charging for sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach is ridiculous. It is$13/lounger and the same for an umbrella so $40 per couple for a day. That is just mad. And finally charging $14 for a glass of wine in your exec club is over the top.
This is a good hotel but there are just a few things that let it down. However, if you want a good location then worth staying here.
P.S. There is a lot of construction work going on near the hotel so there is a lot of noise and given these are new apartment buildings this will go on for some time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David J
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear guest

I’d like to thank you for sharing your experience at Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and our pool area, though we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day.. In reference to the beach, we would like to clarify that South Beach is a public beach and local vendors get special permits from the city to rent chairs and umbrellas. All hotels in the area are subject to the same situation; however, all chairs and umbrellas are free of charge at our pools. We are also going through a renovation of our spa, gym, and lobby area within the next couple of months. I hope that you will consider returning to Marriott Stanton South Beach to see our exciting renovations!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,569)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have not been to your hotel, but my son was there this past weekend for his birthday with friends. I called yesterday am and spoke with Brandon Cooke, and asked if he could help me with a surprise for my son. Not only was his personality sweet, but he was also very excited to help me as if he were helping someone in his own family. He went to his supervisor and got an approval to leave the hotel and shop for me. I asked for something specific, a giraffe. He went to the toy store for me, took pictures and then sent them to me. I picked the largest one they had. My son is an adult so this was even funnier. He then gave his phone to the Manager of the store and I paid for this giant giraffe. Brandon then hand delivered this giraffe that was over five feet tall to my sons room. It was a wonderful experience and I am thrilled. I have never experienced this level of customer service at any hotel I have stayed, and I have been to many. I am looking forward to my stay at this hotel due to this experience. So many people only do what they need just to get the job done, and then there are those who are far and few between like Brandon who add a personal touch that has so much more meaning. Thank you Brandon for all of your efforts in making this a fun birthday not only my son but for me. I appreciate all of your enthusiasm. You will never know how much this meant to me. You are a special individual who went well above and beyond what I expected, and I will never forget how much fun we all had with this whole thing because of you. This company is very lucky to have an individual such as yourself. I also want to thank you for using your phone and accepting my call the next morning when you were not at work, because I needed a suggestion how to wrap this giraffe so my son could take this fabulous South Beach souvenir home. You gave me suggestions and did not act bothered that I called you on your own time. I have never seen anything like it. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lise W

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for your feedback! Brandon was truly excited to assist you and make your son's stay brilliant. We will make sure Brandon's level of service is recognized. We take pride in going above and beyond for our guests. We invite you to visit the Marriott Stanton South Beach personally so we can show you all we have to offer!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I travel to South Beach this is the hotel of choice. Yes there are tons of other hotels to stay at, and I have, but this hotel is one of a handful that actually is on the ocean AND allows you to see the water! The pool is up high with minimal wire fence so you get un obstructed views of the beach and the all the people walking, jogging along the boardwalk. Staff is super friendly. Easy location to walk to everything, restaurants, shopping etc, yet just far enough away not to be crazy noisy. Great sun at the pool, which if you stay at other hotels you can notice some only get sun for a couple hours before the hotel next door blocks it. This locations allows you to turn your lounge chair at the pool and stare at the ocean all day or simply walk down to the beach and they have chairs and umbrellas for you. I've stayed at the W Hotel further North up the beach which was nice but you would never know you were next to the ocean as they wall off the hotel. Cant wait to return to the Marriott!

Room Tip: Email ahead of time to ask, nicely of course, for an upgraded room. They are happy to assist you pos...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter H

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Stanton South Beach Marriott! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you enjoyed our pool, location, staff, and found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review. We are anticipating your next arrival!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Marriott Stanton South Beach is a Marriott Rewards Category 9 hotel and everything about it lives up to that kind of expectation and level. The entire staff was very welcoming and courteous while doing their best to make sure you were comfortable and had everything you needed. As we had arrived via rental car, the valet service greeted us first and took care of our car, followed by the front door greeters. All welcomed us and assisted with our luggage. The front desk receptionist was very friendly and specifically thanked us for being Marriott Elite members and for our business. Although the hotel room was on the small side (which we knew about as it is a boutique-style hotel), it was very neat and trendy, with a private balcony view that overlooked the famous Miami South Beach. We headed to the pool and hung out there for a while. There are 2 separate pools with a hot tub right between them. Although the lounge chairs were all occupied, there is a constant churn of people and a pair opened up not too long after we got there. An active and friendly pool attendant then promptly prepared the chairs for us by putting down towels and asked if we had everything we needed. Great service. The evening was spent out and about South Beach. We decided to have breakfast at the hotel the next morning, and opted for the buffet over the a la-carte menu. The buffet spread was large and a custom omelette station was even available. We were very satisfied with the buffet's offerings. The gym provided a good amount of equipment, machines, and space, but it was nothing real exceptional, as it's just a hotel gym anyway. Upon checkout, we were thanked by all once again and we were on our way.

The hotel is definitely on the pricey-side, but then again so are all the other hotels located in South Beach. However, since it's a few blocks down from the famous Ocean Drive restaurant/bar district, it's quiet at night which was very relaxing and worth a stay. The private beach is steps away from the hotel. The service was great and the atmosphere fits the bill. We greatly enjoyed our entire experience there, and hope to re-visit sometime in the future.

1  Thank Justin R
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest:

We truly appreciate your detailed description of your recent stay here at the Stanton South Beach Marriott. We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We hope you visit again in the near future!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Clean and beautiful property with attention to detail and customer service. Elizabeth took the time to show us around & listen to our story.

The front desk was quick to call us when the room was ready, valet and bellmen unpacked and moved 3 carts with so much patience and care.

Elizabeth even sent a small gift and hand written card for our anniversary!
I will come here again over the big properties because of the level of attention.
Unforgettable!

Room Tip: It is more expensive for an ocean view but so worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on Elizabeth's level of service, we take great pride in her accomplishments. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Oceanfront at the best beach in the world. Most of the time the water in the Atlantic is 82 degrees. Visitors jump back and say, "That's hot water". More Hotels , Bars, Nightclubs, Restaurants, and incredible atmosphere for your happy. Your bed is the most comfortable, your room the most welcoming. The acomodations are luxurious. Cost $$$

Room Tip: Beachside great daylight view ocean & beach
1  Thank 387indy

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We truly value your opinion. We are delighted to know you enjoyed you stay here at the Stanton South Beach Marriott and enjoyed our "warm" beach water! We thank you for choosing our propery, we know you had many options. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Not a high rise so not your typical Marriott. Our room was oceanfront, but it seemed all rooms would have a decent view & small balcony. The room and bathroom were clean and spacious. Nice desk for working. The valet service was quick anytime we needed our car. Small, decent gym; but it had no view. Breakfast downstairs was super slow and unmemorable; I would suggest go elsewhere. My husband had a massage outside (on the side deck) and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Guys on the beach were quick to set up lounges, umbrella and towels for us. They had a play area for kids, with piles of sand for 'walls.' Front desk kindly gave us a very late check-out. The hotel is a bit of a walk from famous Lincoln Rd, but right across the street from some great restaurants (Prime, eg.). Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Request oceanfront.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your post about your great stay at The Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you enjoyed our rooms and massage outside from the spa! We apologize about the unmemorable experience in the restaurant. We will share your feedback to our team in order to improve. We hope to see you again soon!