“Wonderful place to relax with a great beachfront location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott Stanton South Beach

Marriott Stanton South Beach
Ranked #24 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place to relax with a great beachfront location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it was lovely. It's right on the beach and also has a nice pool and jacuzzi area. Our room had a small balcony with a view to the ocean so we had a great view of the sunrise. The breakfast area is very nice with a great buffet and we sat at a table on the terrace outside. The hotel is within walking distance of
several nice restaurants (Devito is right across the street.) and we enjoyed lots of fresh seafood. Because it lies about 2 blocks south of where the nightlife starts (The main drag is always packed with people sitting outside at bars and cafes and watching other people and all kinds of outrageous and expensive vehicles roll by at a snail's pace.) the
hotel's location is not noisy in the evening but still close to the action. They don't have an airport shuttle, but there is a flat-rate for taxis between the airport and South Beach.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Long Island NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2010

Went down for a wedding. I can not find a negative thing to say about my stay. The rooms are beautiful and very well appointed. The airconditioning was the best of anywhere I have ever stayed. Ice machine was broken but they brought ice 3 times a day to my room without even asking. The enter staff and waitstaff should be complimented.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

I'm usually a fan of Marriott hotels, and am a Marriott rewards member; however, I will never stay at this particular Mariott again. My friends and I originally picked this hotel because it was right on the beach, but a lower price than some of the other hotels right on the beach. Don't let the initial lower price fool you. By the end of the trip you'll have paid the same price as you would for a much nicer hotel that has all the amenities included.

While we enjoyed being able to walk out the door and onto the beach, the beach chairs and umbrellas are not included. It's an extra $40 for two chairs and an umbrella per day. And you have to be at the pool before 7 am to get a chair, otherwise they are all gone. The service on the beach is pretty good although it can be somewhat slow. Just make sure you keep an eye out for the one or two servers who come around to take orders.

We ordered a movie one afternoon, since the weather wasn't cooperating. At the time of purchase we were told one price; however, at checkout, the price was much higher. After 5 minutes of back and forth inquiring as to why the movie was so much more expensive on our bill, they did take the movie off the bill entirely which was a nice gesture.

I would recommend going to the convenience store to buy snacks and drinks to keep in your room. It's a much better deal, and there's a pharmacy a few blocks away. However, make sure to pick up some utensils while you're there. We tried calling down to room service two mornings to get silverware for breakfast. We were told no problem they'd be right there; however no one ever brought us the requested silverware, either morning.

The bathrooms look really nice, and except for the first day we were there were relatively clean. However, I did find hair on the shower wall and around the drain before any of my friends or I took a shower, which was unpleasant (to put it nicely!).

Our room was facing Ocean Drive, and even though the hotel is located at the far end of the strip, you still have noise from the clubs and restaurants. However, the balcony door was extremely solid and the noise was at an absolute minimuim which was a surprise. You could hear faint street noise but only if you were listening for it. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but I've definitely slept on worse.

Also, I left my iPhone charger on the nightstand next to the bed at checkout. I called the hotel 15 minutes after we'd checked out and explained exactly where it was and asked if I could pay to have it sent to me. The person on the phone told me they would check and call me right back. I never heard from them the rest of the day. I called the hotel the next day, explained the situation and was told they'd call me right back. They never did. I called later that same day, hoping a different person would be there and could help me. Same thing, said they'd call me right back, they never did. I called the hotel the second day, same thing. Said they'd call back, never did. Finally on the third day I was able to find someone check and call me back. Only to be told nothing was ever turned in. When I asked if someone could call me should it turn up, i was told quite rudely that they didn't expect that to happen, but "I guess I can do that."

All in all, our stay at the Marriott South Beach wasn't the most pleasant one. The custom service needs a lot of improvement, and the hotel should do a better job of disclosing the extra fees it charges. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family just because it ended up being a lot more expensive than we'd anticipated and it was quite a headache dealing with the custom service and checkout issues. I know it looks a lot cheaper on paper when comparing prices, but make you sure double check the amenities you get at this hotel versus others. I went back and did the math after we got our final bill, and it worked out that we could have stayed in a 4 star hotel on the beach for the same price.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

I booked this hotel because it was one of the only hotels that allowed 4 guests without charging extra fees and had good reviews. I booked a city view room for Sat and Sun night for four people, two double beds. A week before they wrote me an email saying they only have King rooms available. When i got there i spoke with the girl about the issue, that I had 4 people so we needed two beds. Right away she found a room with two double beds and it was ocean view, for the same price! Also, because we are Marriott rewards member they allowed us to check out an hour later.

The location was good, a block away from Nikki beach and a short walk to Wet Willies and News Cafe. It is a quieter location in the beginning of ocean Drive which was nice. We took a taxi to the clubs and bars and it was around $10. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was nice and the bell boy was very helpful. The pool area was nice...two pools with a Jacuzzi in the middle.

What I didn't like was the $34 Valet parking per night. Usually parking is free at other hotels I've stayed at. They offer a package where you can pay for parking, internet service and beach chairs that comes out to be slightly cheaper but we did not bring a computer. Also,other reviews people complain about the food prices. Yes the food was a little pricey. We went downstairs for breakfast and turned right around when we saw the prices on the menu. Also they do add gratuity but they do that in every restaurant and bar in South beach. And the beach chairs are $10 and an umbrella was $20, but other spots in South Beach charge the same.

To have a clean room with no bugs, an ocean view balcony and a pool for 220 a night is a great deal for an Ocean Drive South Beach hotel room.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

The hotel and rooms were nice. Service was excellent. Staff was very helpful. The restaruant and bar were highly expensive. $20 is wayyy to high for a burger, fries, and water for lunch.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

I am Marriott Gold Member and I had an interesting experience at the Marriott SoBe: I had late dinner at the Deco Blue because my plans fell through with some friends and after receiving a rather poor service this hotel forces a gratuity of 18% but interesting enough the tax applied was not the 7% by Florida State.
After a long discussion with the Front Desk and the Restaurant Manager they could not figure out the tax applied...will have to post an update once I hear from Marriott Corporate.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Somerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed at the South Beach Marriott with 4 girlfriends for my bachelorette party- the main reason we picked this hotel is because they'll accomodate 5 people in one room at a reasonable price (under $400/night), and because of the pools/hot tub/beachfront location. We booked a double room with a rollaway and called to confirm it with the hotel 3 times prior to our arrival. Upon checkin we were told that no room type is guaranteed, and that they had NO RECORD of us calling to confirm. They put us in a room with ONE king bed and after going back and forth with the management, were finally allowed to bring in 3 rollaways (though we were told this was generally not allowed). The guy at the front desk was very rude, saying that since we couldn't remember the names of the people we had confirmed with over the phone, there was nothing they would do to help us, saying that they were "overbooked". I was told the same thing by the 1-800 Marriott customer service people, who said there was nothing they could do to help. They all acted as though we were lying about confirming the reservation, and seemed suprised that we were dissatisfied with our room. I would have expected something more (atleast a round of free drinks?!) from a hotel chain like Marriott.

Other than our room fiasco (we had to climb from rollaway to bed to rollaway to get to the bathroom...good thing we're all young and limber) the hotel was very nice. The pool/hottub areas were great (though small), beach in front of the hotel is AMAZING. perfect location. The convinience of the Starbucks in the lobby is great, and the pool bar/restaurant was perfect for lunch and afternoon cocktails (also a plus that there are servers who come serve you drinks and food on the pool deck). Lunch food prices were more reasonable then I had thought they would be, and the quality was better than I had expected as well. Drinks were expensive but good. One annoying thing is that you have to pay $10/chair to rent chairs/umbrellas on the beach (from Marriott) which seems unreasonable since we're paying guests of the hotel. Good thing the towels/water were free! The hotel is in a fantastic location in terms of restaurants, shopping and clubs.

I do have to say that though the first front desk guy/management/customer service phone number were all rude and unhelpful, all of the servers/bartenders at the restaurant were VERY friendly, and Jennifer at the front desk was very sweet and did her very best to fix all of our room problems.

In terms of things to do: go to Big Pink (one block from hotel) we went for dinner and for brunch and both were awesome and cheap. Definitely go to Lincoln Rd to go shopping/eat dinner- lots of great options. In terms of clubs, stay as far away from BED as possible (small, cramped and hot- and $14 for a glass of water) but DO go to Mansion. Had a REALLY fun night dancing there. Worth the $25 cover charge.

Overall, I think the South Beach Marriott would generally be a nice hotel to stay in, but the awful customer service definitely put a sour taste in our mouths. Next time we go to South Beach we'll definitely try a different hotel instead.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends