“We loved the Blue Moon and can't wait to go back!”

Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #50 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 13 December 2005

My boyfriend and I just spent four days at the Blue Moon. We loved every minute of it and can’t wait to go back! The staff couldn’t have been more kind, courteous or helpful. During our stay the hotel was fully booked but we felt like the only guests there. The hotel is very charming, the room was a little on the small side but we only sleept there. The bathroom was very nice and the air conditioning was freezing. The pool was small but we spent a day hanging out there anyway. The beach is one block away and gorgeous. If you’re in to going clubbing make friends with the hotel bartender, we did and she gave us passes to all the hotspots, never paid a cover or waited in line. Everything is within walking distance and it is such a great place to stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 5 December 2005

I thought this was a very nice hotel, and I was very happy with the room and didn't really hear a lot of street noise. But later in the evening, the one problem became evident.

I would rate this hotel higher except for one thing - it is amazing how well we could hear the neighboring room. When they turned the TV on, I thought my husband had turned ours on - it was clear as a bell. Even earplugs didn't quite solve the problem. Eventually, we called the front desk, and they asked our neighbors to turn it down (we heard that conversation as well).

Perhaps you could ask for a room without an adjoining door and see if that keeps the noise down. But if you are a light sleeper, you might avoid this one.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank DValkyrie
Reviewed 4 December 2005

The positives:
- Location. One block from Ocean drive.
- Size of rooms.
- Attentive front desk staff.

The negatives:
- Old building, looks nothing like the pictures on their main site.
- Thin walls – one couple was having, you know what, and it was as if they were right next to us.
- Smelly hallway – it smelled like toilet, thankfully not our wing.
- The street the building is on is old and ugly
- Elevator scary, from the 50s or something.

Additional comments:
There was something terribly wrong with Miami when we were there. Ocean Drive, the world famous street was nothing like we expected. It was dirty, messy, trees all messed up, park by the beach like those from poor neighborhoods. This city must has taken its toll from all the hurricanes. The streets were almost empty and there were little insects flying around during lunch. At one point I was wondering if it was safe to walk around because the place looked so bad. Something was wrong, we arrived around noon and decided to leave the same day instead of staying for a few days as planned. Perhaps it was because of the time of the year (but the weather was sunny and warm) but this is the worst city I have ever visited in my entire life. The hotel didn’t help either!

Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank FirstVoyager
Reviewed 20 October 2005

I did a lot of research on the different South Beach hotels, and based on price, location and the reviews I chose Blue Moon. It was my girlfriend'd first time in South Beach and I wanted to make sure her experience would be as positive as possible. It turned out that Blue Moon was a great choice. I feel I got my money's worth, and we can't think of a single complaint. I think some of the reviews that were critical of this hotel were nit picky. The place was clean, modern, comfortable, and had many amenities that added to the over all experience. The staff was friendly and very responsive to our needs. The bed and linen were very comfortable... -I have a bad back... so I know a good bed when I sleep in one. The air conditioner was quiet and effective enough to make the room arctic, which is how I like it when I sleep.
Some advice: One of the most common complaints about South Beach hotels is the street noise. Our room was located in the back of the building, so it was very quiet. But then again I made reservations 2 months in advance and I requested a quiet room. The bottom line is, no matter what hotel you stay at, if your room faces a busy street; it will be noisy regardless of the hotel. I recommend if you can, to make reservations early enough so you can request a quiet room.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank firelennon
Reviewed 14 October 2005

We liked the hotel very much. We spent 2 nights for around $100/night, which is incredibly cheap for such a nice place.
The location is great: right in the Art Deco area. We had a room looking out on the street, but it was too noisy, so we asked for another room and right away we got a back room with a view on the (tiny) pool. There was some noise since our room was close to a back door that the employees slammed early in the morning, but not for too long.
The room was small, but not tiny, the furniture and the "art" on the wall were tasteful chosen. The bathroom had marble floor and sides. Everything was superclean. The employees were great. Got free drinks for filling out a questionaire.
The hotel is Art Deco, and it looks very nice from outside as well as inside. If ever I go back to Miami, I will stay at the Blue Moon with pleasure.

4  Thank josieWashingtonDc
Reviewed 30 September 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Moon from September 23 through September 27. We were originally booked at the Winterhaven Hotel (which is a sister hotel to the Blue Moon). What a disaster that was. We had booked and been guaranteed a king-size room and when we checked in the room had one twin bed, was extremely small and the bathroom had no tub -- just a shower that was only separated from the bathroom with a shower curtain. After being told they had no other room for us, they asked if we would like to stay at their sister hotel, The Blue Moon. We took the offer and what an improvement it was. We got a king-sized corner room in the extension building. (You had to go to the second floor and walk outside for a three-step distance -- a little annoying but not a disaster.) They room was very spacious, clean, colorful and well-decorated with a full size bathroom, a TV, CD player, refrigerator and safe. The only downside is that the room faced a back alley and it got quite noisy at night (when it seemed they picked up the trash) and in the morning as they were doing construction. But the hotel was centrally located, had a nice lobby, a pool and tables outside the entrance where you could enjoy a cocktail. Valet parking was extremely expensive ($25 per day) but there was a parking garage across the street where you could park for $18 a day and go in and out as many times as you wanted. Also, keep in mind that the parking meters on the street are only from 9:00 a.m. to midnight. So if you park after midnight you are safe until 9:00 a.m. or if you park before midnight you just have to feed them meter quarters until midnight. The hotel was not perfect but for the price and the location it is a good choice when you are visiting South Beach. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank mmc916
Reviewed 22 September 2005

We arrived before 3pm and asked if it would be possible to check in. The staff seemed indifferent/confused and asked us to wait. I parked the car in the street unloading area, but no valet/porter ever came out so we moved our bags into the lobby ourselves. After waiting about 20 mins, the desk clerk gave us a room. The room was small and clean. Everything work well. We didn't have a problem with hearing our neighbors through the walls, but we could hear everyone that walked down the hallway. At one point we could hear one unhappy customer yelling about a reservation problem with the staff. Eventually we had to turn the A/C fan on and kept it on all night to drown out the noise. Location was very good for South Beach. Easy walk to the beach. Parking is $25 (+ valet tip), and I tried to park in the municipal garage down the street but it was full (on a Monday afternoon), so most likely you will have to valet park.

• Stayed: August 2005