“Nice Little Hotel for a good price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawaii Hotel

Hawaii Hotel
Ranked #200 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hamilton, ON
“Nice Little Hotel for a good price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2008

There is nothing special about this hotel other than it was one of the cheapest compared to everything else on Miami Beach over the weekend I was there.

It had very small rooms, I cannot emphasize this enough, so if this is an issue, stay away. And it had very little else in the way of amenities, not even a working clock. However, it was clean, and the bed was very clean, new, and comfortable with a very plain but functional bathroom.

It's location couldn't be better as faces the water and in 100 yards from a public beach. Other than that, it's simply a nice place to stay for cheap near the beach, and close to a bus line.

• Liked — Clean and cheap.
  • Disliked — Very, very, very small rooms.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rrakoczy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

Look, in fairness to the hotel:

- It was reasonably clean and I did not see any cockroaches, rideable or otherwise.
- I paid around a hundred bucks for a room in a pretty convenient area of Miami Beach at the height of spring break.
- It had some pretty darn nice features for a one star hotel. First time I've ever stayed in a Rodeway Inn but I can't imagine many of them are full of tile and granite and marble like this place. It looks like it was renovated to be a boutique style hotel, not a chain motel. Excellent bedding and super quiet split system AC units (though some of the neighbors were not as quiet.)
- It is a really nice location in my mind, a good alternative to South Beach. It is right across from the ocean, parking is always available on the same block (impossible in South Beach) with a pass, and it is an easy drive or bus ride to Sobe.

That being said, the upkeep on the place is a little rough, and we had to switch rooms twice due to problems. Water is too hot or too cold sometimes, pressure is OK on first floor but not so great on second, that kind of quirky stuff from an old but renovated infrastructure. Front desk staff also vary from sweet and friendly to indifferent. Continental breakfast is almost nonexistent and a stretch to even call it that, but I was OK with a glass of juice and a couple mini-muffins. You need to go to one of bigger properties nearby for a proper breakfast.

Anyway, for my dime, this place is an interesting find and if it is in your price range, there is a lot to like for the money.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank gil123
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

Absolutely the filthiest hotel I have ever seen.
Stayed one night and they charges us for two saying there was a two night minimum.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — ser5vice, cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

We had a reservation for five nights but told the hotel we would only stay for 2 nights when we checked in. At the time of checkout they claimed we signed up for 3 nights and insisted on charging for all 3. In addition, rooms were dirty and there was no maid service during our stay. Stay away from this place!!!

Stayed January 2008
East Mesa, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

I chose this hotel because of the price and the great reviews and when we first arrived we thought we had made a mistake, however we fell in love with this location and can't wait to go back! We arrived at night and were concerned about the homeless people wandering around, the obvious drug dealer with his backpack hanging out in front of the abandoned hotel next door. We watched him making a sell to three nice cars that drove up, paused long enough to exchange hands and then leave.
I wasn't sure what the parking situation was from the reviews so we ended up waking up at 7:30 every morning, running to CVS or Walgreens to get quarters to feed the meter (they would not let us buy a roll of quarters). This was a chore the first 2 days but then became a nice ritual as far as enjoying an early morning smoke on the beach while watching the sun rise. (We didn't notice the bank down the street from CVS until the 3rd night) Next time, we will definitely buy the $6.50 pass from the front desk or simply go to the bank the first day to get a roll of quarters. There was always an open parking space anytime we returned to the hotel, day or night.
The first room we went in the main light in the room was out so they moved us to another room where the TV remote and the main bathroom light didn't work, but we didn't want to move again so we lived with it and notified the front desk when we checked out.
The 1 queen bed room was tiny but when you're in Miami Beach, who wants to hang out in the room? It was perfect for my husband and I, but you wouldn't want to share a 2 bed room with another couple, not enough space to move around in.
My husband was disappointed that there was no dresser, we had to live out of our luggage but this wasn't a problem for me. I think it's best described as a minimalist hotel. If you like the bells and whistles, go elseware. A microwave was the only thing I really wanted and didn't have.
It took a little time to learn how to use the A/C remote, but we finally got it figured out and it cooled the room very quickly. Haveing the remote was AWESOME, when you wake up freezing you can simply raise the temperature or turn it off while still in bed!
The bathroom was clean, however as the other reviews mentioned the water pressure was insanely low and it took 45 minutes to shampoo and condition my long curly hair and when I was done the entire bathroom was wet because of the lack of shower door.
I loved the character of this small hotel. There are only 40 rooms and it's beautifully decorated. It felt like our own little world with the short little off street of Ocean Terrace, quiet and almost private beach literally a few steps away. Right around the corner is the best little restaurant called "Rockys", the owner is extremely nice and friendly. We ate there twice and the food was DELICIOUS! Interestingly enough the Subway restaurant directly behind the hotel, also on Collins was delicious too, I don't know what it was about the food in Miami Beach but everywhere we ate was tasty!
This was the perfect hotel for us, we had a rental car and drove to different parts of Miami (Coconut Grove, SOBE) for the night life and enjoyed coming back to our quiet hotel. We didn't mind the few characters wandering the street, they never bothered us and we didn't bother them. It was a unique place to stay and we will definitely go back!
I took a few photos of the room and hotel, I'll post them as soon as I get unpacked.

• Liked — Cheap price, quiet like a private beach location.
  • Disliked — Shower water pressure way too low.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joey J
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2007

We had a smooth stay in this hotel. Rooms are small but clean and very conveniently equipped with fridge, safe, hairdryer and a quiet air conditioning. The beds were extremely comfortable. As Europeans we are used to small rooms and little breakfast, so we didn't bother much about that. Location is in the Northern part of Miami Beach, so the hip South Beach is a 15' drive further south. The beach is just across the quiet little street, however the rooms do not have sea view. Convenient shops and nice restaurants (all different kinds) are in the immediate area.
The area felt safe to us - there are some homeless people in Miami Beach but we saw them in most large US-cities and they did not bother us. However, I agree that some of the hotel's reception staff do not seem to care that much about guests problems - we did not have any problems but it just felt like that sometimes. Parking is about $ 6.80 per day and there is no other option.
After all, a reliable budget stay in Miami Beach, I would definitely go there again.

• Liked — Location, clean and convenient rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nyc2008
Utha
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2007

I saw how many good reviews this hotel had in this same webpage at the moment of booking, hoping to write my own good feedback too later on, unfortunally it is not as I hoped for, this hotel its completely Fake.

It was by far the worst experience i had in my life, i got stressed the 5 nights i stayed there and i felt treated as an idiot.

I stayed with my husband and 17 years old son in another room, we had to go to the walgreens around the block to buy towels,the front desk said they are always low on towels on the weekends, i couldn't dry myself after showering!

"Continental Breakfast"????-I notice breakfast it is just to catch up people on the net, the "continental" breakfast it is served in the lobby, in a 8 feet table where coffee, orange juice and some sort of sticky cheap pastries lay besides an empty pot, where the cream it is supposed to be. You either eat standing up with all the rest of the guest in the lobby, like if you were in a elevator, or just go somewhere else with enough coffee and cream, at least.

I have to say the good thing about this hotel is that you have the beach right in front,besides, don't even think to walk a block away without seeing homeless people everywhere and more, i did not feel safe at all,the hotel next door and the one in the corner it's abandon, however, you still seeing some activity inside those during the night.

I tried to switch to the days inn in the other corner, but i couldn't due it was pre paid through expedia and i did not want any more trouble, im a very optimist person but this was too much for me. i felt like and idiot every time i said anything to the front desks and they told me their problems were a normal thing, i just cant understand it.

Meryl.

The Mimosa Hotel
The Mimosa Hotel
#146 of 207 in Miami Beach
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside

Been to Hawaii Hotel? Share your experiences!