Lily Leon Hotel
Fontainebleau Miami Beach(Miami Beach)
US$441
US$425
  • Beachfront
Chesterfield Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$277
US$226
  • Bar/Lounge
US$221
US$204
US$345
US$314
  • Beachfront
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach(Miami Beach)
US$241
US$204
  • Beachfront
Gale South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$244
US$209
  • Restaurant
Dream South Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$604
US$417
galahotels.com
  • Pool
Red South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$271
US$209
Travelocity
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 January 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Leon for one night last weekend, thanks to a super-sweet woman who was in town for the Miami Marathon. Since the room and bar are fresh in my memory, I thought I'd share my take.

First, the bar. The owners, Rafi and Avi, were very service oriented, and Sharon the bartender was so nice. It's a petite bar, with seating for about ten people at the well. Another 10 or so can sit at raised tables and chairs, and another 10 can sit on the patio facing Collins Avenue. I'm from Boston, so I like a "Cheers" type of place, where "everybody knows your name."

The hotel is a small boutique in the Art Deco district, one block from the beach. In my opinion, it's a hidden gem. The room was clean and bright with two queen-sized beds. The design of the room was unlike a typical hotel with two beds side-by-side. This room featured two distinct bed areas, so there could at least be a modicum of privacy. The bathroom was nice, with a unique sink that as I recall, stood half-sunken in the counter. A nice touch.

I spoke with the front-desk man to see what rates were like, and they vary depending on the time of year. Off-season, rooms are modestly priced as low as $95. During peak-season - which is coming up - room rate spike considerably, with regular rooms going for around $200 and the penthouse suite topping out at around $450 a night.

I met a lot of great people at the "Leon" and the next time I travel to South Beach, which I hope is soon, I'll be staying there for my entire trip.

I will say, that the hotel and bar fit my personality. It's a quaint and friendly and in a nook on Collins Ave. And it's very convenient to the beach and ocean drive (one block).

Hope you found this helpful!

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank RendezvousLane
Reviewed 25 November 2005

We were so happy with this hotel. Was not sure what to expect after reading some reviews, but the room was very nice, and not far from the beach. We bought this hotel as a flight-hotel package on orbitz and got 2 nights with 4 to a room plus airfare for $250 per person. Rediculously cheap. I wouldn't pay a ton for this hotel, but if you can get a deal on this hotel, take it.

• Stayed: November 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
washington, dc
Reviewed 31 October 2005

After a long, mishap-filled journey that landed us in Miami (instead of our original location of Fort Lauderdale) right after Hurricane Wilma, we pulled up in front of the Lily-Leon, a supposed 3-star hotel. Having never been to Miami, but knowing how close the hotel was to the beach, I was shocked and appalled when our shuttle from the airport pulled up in front of the place. There were two "gentleman" who were about 20 long miles from sobriety and headed fast toward complete inebriation standing outside with a flashlight loudly trying to determine whether or not they'd bumped into the car in front of them or vice versa. Oh well, I figured, this can only get better. Boy was I wrong. We dragged our weary bodies into the lobby, which was "decorated" for Halloween. The young man who was checking us in was obviously not a multi-tasker as he tried, with varying degrees of success, to handle every interruption that came up while my tired friends and I tried to get checked in. In the midst of helping us, the befuddled clerk answered the phone, responded repeatedly to the other employee who kept popping in and out of the back room and interrupting him with questions, and answering the questions of various visitors who popped up at the desk. Had he not been obviously overwhelmed and had I not been so tired, I think I would have throttled him. I have to give him some credit because the hotel was still in the process of recovering from Hurricane Wilma, which had hit just days earlier. On the other hand, Hurricane Wilma had nothing to do with the interior surroundings in which I found myself.

There was a king size bed with a lovely down comforter on the bed and that was about the best thing there. It just didn't look to me like the 3-star hotel I was told it was. The furniture in the room looked like it came from a yard sale. I'm sorry, but I'm just not into the whole "charming, antique-y" look, especially for a 3-star hotel. The room was painted a hideous shade of brick red. The bathroom light switch was hidden BEHIND the bathroom door. Not one, but TWO lights blew out when I flipped their switches. The bathtub didn't exactly look clean either. The whole time I was there, I kept trying to tell myself that the place was cute in a different kind of way; however, now that I'm back home, I can stop lying to myself and say that the place grossed me out.

I agree with the reviewer who said that this is not the place to stay if you're looking for peace and quiet. If the late night booming car stereo systems don't get you, the early morning trash pick-ups will.

The pictures I have now seen on the Internet don't look like anything I saw when I stayed there.

To make this long story short, if you just want to have the privilege of saying that you stayed at a 3-star hotel on South Beach, stay at the Lily-Leon. If you want quiet, peaceful, modern surroundings, stay away.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 September 2005

Its all about expectations... Found a great deal on Orbitz, and needed a vacation so my boyfriend and I made the reservation w/out even knowing about tripadvisor.com. My girlfriend told me about the website, so I was really nervous about going, because there were alot of bad reviews. We were there from May 9 -13th. We were expecting it to be mediocre from what we read, but we were pleasantly suprised. Its not the Loews, the Ritz or any of those other fancy-shamancy hotels; but its in the BEST location. The pictures from the website are definitely decieving; but our room was very large, the bed was comfy, bathroom OK (bad lighting); overall it was fine. We walked to everything and spent our money eating, drinking, partying and shopping. The staff was very accommodating to us; rooms cleaned, provided towels when we asked for extra, they give you big towels for the beach which is only 1 block away! Never ate the breakfast, and the happy hour is only well vodka; but who cares - your in Miami, go to the other great bars, lounges, hotels, clubs that are all around you! Yes, I've stayed at better hotels in Miami, but would definitely go back for a quick vacation; it was definitely worth it. Had I traveled half way around the world and was staying for two weeks; then I probably would have thought different. If this is your annual vacation that you've saved up for, then chose another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank UgChiGirl
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 7 September 2005

Well, I have to say the room was very roomy, bathroom large, and clean and with all the necessary amenities! The floors could've been cleaner cause they were hardwood and tile, but I didn't mind one bit. I just wore my flipflops. I can't say anything about the continental breakfast, because we slept in every day we were there! The bartender was sweet and friendly and made some great drinks!! The shower was very nice and warm with good pressure! The bath robes were a nice edition too! My best friend and I, both females, stayed there and really can't think of one thing to complain about because we were accommodated by the staff for a larger room from the sister hotel next door, because they didn't have a 2 bed room available there...they didn't have to do that. Met the owner who was very pleasant....not often that you meet the hotel owner, who offers suggestions for things to do and is at his own hotel keeping an eye on things! I'm a very service-oriented individual with pretty high standards and I would definitely go back there. I wasn't looking for things to complain about. I would say that you not go to David's Cafe for coffee or breakfast though...it's a hole in the wall! Noise was never a problem for us! I will definitely go back there! Thanks Leon!

• Stayed: September 2005