“Mixed feelings”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #78 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Ok, so i have mixed feelings about this hotel. The great things about this place is the location, right on ocean drive, friendly staff, clean rooms. The not so great stuff: hallways need major improvement, new lighter carpets, better lighting and better door numbering. The rooms were actually very clean, white walls with nice decorative painting, comfortable bed, great AC, nice closet, clean bathroom, great water pressure and temperature control. Had an iron and board, sink, etc... The price was great great given the location. However, the lobby could use some work, and so can the complementary breakfast. All the served was toast, cheese, some pastries, and orange juice. I would stay again, would like the hallways to be updated to match the look and feel of the rooms. Suggestion: stay away from back rooms!!! Garbage pick up its around 7am, and the noise will wake you up!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

We are very happy that you loved our location, we love it here! It also makes us smile that you found our rooms so great. We have been working on improving our rooms and it feels good to have the improvements appreciated. Your comments about our hallways and breakfast are greatly appreciated. We are continuing to work towards improving our hotel and our guests’ comments help us know what to focus on first. We can’t wait to see you again when you next visit the area, we expect to amaze you with our ongoing improvements.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Booked hotel due to excellent location and amazing price.
At the check in greeted warmly by Florencia at the front desk. Warm welcome and friendly service. At first she couldn't locate my reservation. I let her take care of other guests to avoid the line. Finally she found my reservation and after pleasant chat she gave me room with the view, which I was very happy for.
Hotel is charming art deco historic building in decent shape. I see it has been renovate at some point, but they could renovate it some time in the future again. Nice mix of art deco and trendy minimalistic boutique style. Penguins all over.
Staff at the bar also very friendly and cool! Nice bartender lady from Madrid, Spain and also two other waiters who chatted with me while I had two very good complementary cocktails. Thank you Miss Madrid!
Even my reservation stated no extra fees and charges, I was imposed, like all other guests, "Resort Fee" of $19 a night. You get for that two welcome cocktails which I enjoyed very much, decent complimentary continental breakfast served at the even nicer Hotel President right behind, on Collins Avenue, which i also enjoyed, and they also offer very good wireless internet. The signal was excellent. Breakfast staff was absolutely amazing, lady from Switzerland!, also housekeeping lady and doorman! You also get beach towels, but make sure you return them, otherwise you get charged $20/towel.
You also get offer of 30% off full breakfast if you decide to order or 20% off lunch and dinner of you order. Once again, most of the staff are excellent. They were very friendly, cool, efficient, polite and professional providing 4 star service.
Location is amazing, right across the street from the beach, right on the Ocean drive, one of three main tourist strips at the famous South Beach(other two are Lincoln Road pedestrian mall and Espanola Way just two blocks west down the street).
Room was 1930's smallish, all in mirrors, so at first it felt sort of weird, but also sexy, very bright. Bathroom was small, but nice with pretty trendy design sink. Water pressure was excellent, but the shower handler fell off few times. Sink drained slow. Reported to the front desk with excellent morning lady. She was incredibly pleasant and professional. Engineer came promptly, unclogged it, but it still later drained slow. In the room you have also phone, nice closet, iron and ironing board, plenty of plastic cups and tones of mirrors, flat screen TV, around 30 TV channels. My biggest complaint, no nightstand lamp. So you either have very bright gaudy chandelier light above the bed, or almost dark with lights from the bathroom and/or the closet. Loved the pull out desk in front of the very nice art deco sort of bay window.
Not the most comfortable bed, and not the quietest bed, but if the rate is right would definitely stay here again.
Best features are location, great service and charming art deco minimalistic boutique style, also very, very clean! Bed was so so, slightly too soft. Gets little nosy in the evening due to being on the main strip.
Would stay again and would recommend if you like stylish, charming, historic boutique hotels.
Real Miami!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are bright with the nice view, but they get little too bright in the morning due...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologize for the initial difficulty finding your reservation, but it sounds like Florence did a fantastic job making things right. We are thrilled that you loved our historical Art Deco style with our own modern twists. Your praise of our bar, housekeeping, doorman and breakfast staff is much appreciated. We will be sure to pass your compliments along to them and we know it will make them smile. Amazing how good a wonderful cocktail and a yummy breakfast can make you feel, isn’t it! We hope to see you again the next time you visit South Beach.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our first trip to South Beach and just a quick getaway. We wanted to stay as close to the beach and South Beach vibe as possible. After doing some research, we settled on The Penguin. The price was right, the location was spectacular, and the stay was great. The hotel is basic. The rooms are no frills: a small space, a bed, a chair, a tiny bathroom. If you are looking for luxury it is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a clean, quiet place to stay with a friendly staff then this is is a great place. The restaurant is basic as well but I am happy to say that they had enough selections for both me (a vegetarian) and my boyfriend (non-veg).

A couple of mild negatives: The continental breakfast that is offered is pretty lame; I wouldn't bother. Also, housekeeping comes very late in the day.

Room Tip: Our room in the back corner on the second floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

It sounds like you had a great beach getaway! We LOVE our location and we are thrilled that you love it too! We are very happy that your room and our cleanliness met your expectations. Your praise of our staff is greatly appreciated and I’m sure they will be happy when we pass along your comments to them. I’m sure that dining out can sometimes be a struggle for you, but I’m glad that we offered a wide enough selection that both you and your boyfriend could enjoy. We hope to see you again the next time you crave some fun in the sun!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had a really great experience in Peguin Hotel! It was more than I expected.A great value for money. Fantastic location, its near to everything you need ,just cross the street to the beach , the restaurants , coffee shops, pharmacy ,groceries, shopping malls ,bars and clubs are just walking distant.Love the hotel and the rooms too are soo pretty and clean with there stylish designs. Best service ,wonderful staffs ,friendly and helpful specially to Karla.Totally enjoyed my stay and definitely be back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks, you made us smile! We are thrilled that you had such a great stay with us. We too LOVE our location. There is so much to do right here in South Beach and being in the heart of it all is very exciting to us. Your praise of Karla and the rest of our staff is greatly appreciated. We will pass your kudos along to them and I’m sure they will be grateful for your praise. We hope to see you again the next time you visit South Beach.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night and we decided to move to the hotel next door which was cheaper, much cleaner, and staff could speak English!!
I have booked this hotel through lastminute.com and paid in full before I travel, when I arrived they asked me that I have to pay extra $22 for breakfast and welcome drink, I have explained for the receptionist and showed her my confirmation email that I have fully paid for breakfast and I don't want a welcome drink. She was so rude and she says I don't care this is our rule and you have to contact lastminute. I had to call lastminute and they said you have fully paid and they shouldn't charge you, I have asked them to explain this for her, he has explained everything for receptionist and after they have finish the conversation, receptionist told me that I am only working here and I can not check you in before you pay. I have asked for a manager and she says there is no manager! I have asked for someone who can speak english and she said its only me here. Meanwhile they had another gust who has booked sea view room but they gave her normal room and she was complaining that she paid $530 to get a sea view room and now they are telling her the room is not available, they told her as a favor the only thing we can do is refund your money back!!! The staff were very rude. We hd to pay the money because we had no choice! The day after I have asked for a manager and receptionist called him and he says I can not come if they have any problem tell me over the phone!!! For breakfast we had to go to another hotel and they have had not enough seat and the breakfast was only tea, coffee, toast and cheese, anything more than that we had to pay extra!!!! The lift was broken so we had to use stairs and when I asked them to bring me my welcome drink to my room she said you have to pay $5 for someone to bring it!!! And when I went down stairs to claim the welcome drink voucher they said voucher is only valid between 3-7. Room was very noisy and the hallway was like a prison!!! We had to leave for the second night!!

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank Daneshash

We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We will look into the problems you spoke of as they are very unusual concerns for our hotel. All our staff speaks English fluently and our breakfast menu offers far more choices. We would love for you to reach out to us personally by emailing us at vsuperno@penguinhotel.com.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is well located, yes. But the hotel and the rooms need to be greatly refreshed. Frankly the rooms have been refreshed but we had the feeling they never finished the work. As for the bed, I can only say that if you are in the business of selling "sleep and rest" make sure the beds are comfortable. The personnel was very nice on all shifts. For our next visit in SoBe, we will consider another location, sorry!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michel L
Jenny K, Public Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed our location, we know that it is one of our best features. We value your comments about the rooms needing to be refreshed and the beds not being comfy. We are sorry that they didn't meet your standards. You comments will be taken into careful consideration as we strive to continue to improve the quality of our hotel. We are very happy that our staff offered you quality service and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great location, great atmosphere, excellent room service and beds!!!! This hotel helped us to have a dream holiday!!!! Don't miss it!!!! The restaurant has everything you need, including a veggie menu. The rooms and the hotel in general are very clean. The best of this pearl in the value between quality and price. It wil me my choice next time I come back to FL. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuciM78
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

What a heartwarming review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. We are so happy to know you enjoyed our location and accommodations. We always like hearing from our guests. We hope to see you again in the future.