“Dirty rooms!”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #84 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I really liked the location- in front of the beach, but in a calm part of ocean drive. However, I hated the hotel. The room was dirty , the staff didn't try to make us feel comfortable either and the breakfast is a joke!!!I wouldn't go there again!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mayara C
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

We are very sorry that you were disappointed in your stay as our guest. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at vsuperno@penguinhotel.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.

There are newer reviews for Penguin Hotel

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked this hotel solely on the fact that I was getting an ocean front room, on Ocean drive before cruising out of Miami to celebrate my birthday. I had my heart set on an ocean view room so I booked it on expedia. I got there and was told that there were none available due to a renovation. It reminded me of the seinfeld episode where he told the rental car agent "You know how to take the reservation, you just can't hold the reservation, which is actually the most important part of the reservation". I actually paid upfront through expedia, so I purchased something that didn't even exist. They had to know that the room wasn't available when I booked, someone completely dropped the ball and didn't notify expedia. They offered me a room at the president hotel on Collins, which I declined because I didn't feel like dragging our bags through the alley. I took another room with a view of a building about five feet away. I see they found an ocean view room for someone else who had the same issue on this site, no such luck for me I guess. They waived my resort fee, and expedia refunded me the difference. The hotel was basic, but I'm not hard to please, I just ask that you do what you advertise.

The best thing about this place is the location, perfect. The next best thing Is the staff. They are amazing. Ms. Mohammed who checked us out was super helpful. The two waiters at the purple penguin were funny, nice and super cool. One was from Isreal, the other was from Cuba. Another waiter helped us with our bags when we left and I tipped him. There was a tall blonde that I think was some type of manager, she was super cool. They offered welcome drinks. I might actually stay here again, but verify by phone first. It was clean, the staff is friendly, and the money on the ceiling is gone. Please, please, please get reservations correct. It got my birthday weekend off to a horrible start. The service almost made up for it. The reservation, and the ability to keep it are very important, thus the 2 rating. I May have given five stars based on the value for the money I spent.

2  Thank mmill005
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

We are very happy that you loved our location, we love it here! We are truly very sorry that you didn’t get the ocean view you wanted so badly. We are looking into the booking. It is wonderful to hear that our staff helped make the trip better than it would have been. We are sure they will smile when we pass on your praise to them. We hope you will visit us again when our renovations are complete. We are sure we can wow you with the changes. Maybe an ocean view is in your future. ;)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We just returned from a week in Miami Beach, our new favorite winter vacation hotspot. We tried staying at the Penguin this time based on Trip Advisor reviews. While the hotel has much to offer, in the future we are likely to stay elsewhere.
What was good: unbelievable location across from the ocean/beach and near many good restaurants, comfy bed in a nicely-decorated and bright (though small, as in most of the art deco hotels) room, mostly friendly staff, great restaurant.
What needs improvement: lack of storage space in bedroom beyond a closet (just a nightstand with drawers would allow a place for books and socks/underwear), large group of stains on the carpet outside our room that never was cleaned, and housekeeping services.
We were most perplexed by the uneven housekeeping services. Every day we received fresh towels and our bed was made. But there was no attention to any other detail. Wet/dirty towels were often left behind, counters/sinks/tub weren't cleaned, we ran out of toilet paper twice, the toiletries were never replenished and we had to continually ask. After a couple days of this we mentioned it at the front desk. They asked us if we wanted our room cleaned every day. We thought this was an odd question since housekeeping services are offered at the hotel. We let them know we did, yet the poor service continued (even though we left a tip every day!). We had to complain at the desk again and asked to speak to a manager. He was not available, so she offered to leave him a message for us. The next day she politely told us she clarified with the manager that we "wanted our room cleaned every day." (?!) Even so, the service never improved. By that time, we were starting to feel like "that kind" of traveler that complains and the staff hates to see approaching, so we just decided to suck it up for the rest of the trip.
Like the title says, just a few changes could make this a hotel we'd love to return to.

1  Thank Susan H
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated our location. South Beach is such an exciting area, and we love being in the heart of it. We are glad that our comfy beds met your expectations. We are very sorry that our housekeeping failed to impress. We will look into the issue immediately. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at vsuperno@penguinhotel.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We stayed 3 days at the Penguins which is perfect located at the beginning of Ocean dr. Not too noisy but still the vibe of Miami beach you could feel! Make sure you have an ocean view room where you can smell the beach already in bed ;-) rooms are tiny but clean, staff very friendly and helpful while free breakfast is served at partner hotel "President" behind the block. Definitely werth to stay here and explore Miami from this great spot. We'll come back soon for sure!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for the great review, you made us smile! We LOVE our location; it is great to know that you enjoyed it too! We are very happy that you found our hotel clean and our staff friendly. We can’t wait to see you again when you next visit South Beach.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hotel is on Ocean Drive in South Beach Miami and we paid £60 for a room looking out onto the beach. There are the usual USA resort fees but here we got breakfast and 2 free drinks each included with those fees. I have to be honest and say I wouldn't want to stay for more than 2 nights as the room wasn't the quietest, could hear peoples doors slamming and the traffic on ocean drive. Breakfast was very bsic too but you just have to keep reminding yourself where you are.

Room Tip: Its worth paying an extra £10 to have an ocean view room in my opinion as we also had a standard roo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

We are happy that you seem to have enjoyed your stay as our guest. We are very sorry that the noise from other guests disturbed your visit. We are continually looking to improve our hotel, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on. Thank you. We hope to see you again when you next visit South Beach.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked an ocean front room for one night (Saturday, Dec 14, 2013) on Orbitz.com. The regular rate for the room was $185 but with coupons and their Winter Special it was $108, which I thought was a fantastic deal for an ocean view room on Ocean Drive in South Beach. Being this my first time in Miami I wanted to experience the night life and see what South Beach was all about. We pulled up to the hotel which is located at the north end of South beach and you have to pay $25 for valet. I told my husband to wait in the car and I'll check us in. When I got to the front desk Florencia (not sure if she gave me her real name) said that the hotel is currently under construction and that our room was not available. This is where their scam begins. I told her that when I booked the room nowhere on the site did it state that the rooms were being renovated. She blamed it on the fact that we booked online through Orbitz. She said she was instructed to move all the guests across the alley to their sister hotel called The President Hotel. I told her I was not happy at all, that I paid for an ocean view room and the least she can do is wave the valet charge and their outrageous $19 per day resort fee. She said the valet is through a third party company and that she cannot wave that fee but she can see if she can wave the resort fee. I told her I want to see the room first where she wants to put us. She called a porter and my hubby and I were made to walk across a nasty alley, through a 6 foot metal gate, through the back hallways of the sister resort, take the 4x4 tiny elevator to a small dirty room with a view of the next doors roof with vents. The room smelled, it was the size of a closet, and the bathroom was hideous. I told him we are not staying at this sister resort so he took us down to the lobby of the resort and the other girl told us that they just 'found' us an ocean front room at the original Penquin Hotel so we had to walk back through the back alley and hallways back to the original hotel. Florencia told the porter to take us to the 4th floor to show us the corner ocean front room and promised that we would love it. Big mistake!!! First there was barely enough room in the elevator for the three of us to fit and when we got out of the elevator the hallways are about 2 feet wide covered with the smelliest and dirtiest blue/black carpet. We get into the room that was supposed to wow us and just stared at the dirty bedspread, nasty white tiled with dirty grout floors, and when I pulled the window coverings to see the view there were black spots on the curtains and dust came off of them. The bathroom was the size of a shoe closet. I was seriously worried of getting bed bugs if we stayed there another minute. We went downstairs and told Florencia that we are not going to stay in a dirty room with construction going on below us, especially since I'm pregnant. We asked for the manager to see about getting our $$ back but were told that Erick (front desk manager) does not work weekends and there was noone we could talk to. Also because we booked the stay through Orbitz she was not able to refund us the money, only cancel the reservation. I called Orbitz to see about getting our money back but could not get a hold of any live person to speak with. My husband and I decided that it was worth to loose the $108 dollars we spent for the room than to get bed bugs and some other horrible disease. Plus with the construction going on I doubt we would have gotten any sleep at all. Please do not stay at this hotel, it is falling apart, it is dirty, the service is horrible, they nickle and dime you for everything, there is not one good thing about this place.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!! Nasty, dirty, afraid I'd get bad bugs. Stay somewhere Nort...
5  Thank lovemyboston

We are very sorry that you were disappointed in your experience with us. We are currently renovating our hotel, including our hallways, as part of our continued efforts to improve. We expect renovations to be completed soon. We would love for you to contact us personally at vsuperno@penguinhotel.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Room was clean & breakfast served across alley at The President Hotel. Beds just ok for sleeping but extremely noisy(Rm 317). The staff friendly & entertaining. Ice machine at President Hotel. They ran out of fruit at breakfast on Saturday...bummer! Hotel at the quieter end of Ocean Drive but if you're staying closer to alley side..bring earplugs..trash truck comes early am. Would stay there again in a pinch but prefer a hotel with rooftop deck. Be advised that most hotels in SoBe charge a resort fee. Check to see how much that is. The Penguin was @$20/per day(for 2) which included continental breakfast & as many towels as you liked for the beach. Right across from Lummus Park & the Miami Ride/Share Bicycles are 1/2 block north in front of the Starbucks & Haagen Das. Nice path to walk on or bike on across the street.

Room Tip: Seemed they were redoing the 2nd Floor. Ask for updated mattresses..if available! Ice machine at s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

We are glad that our cleanliness met your expectations. It is great to hear that you found our staff friendly and entertaining. We will pass on your kind words to them, we are sure it will make their day. We are sorry that outside noise disturbed your morning. We are always striving to improve our hotel, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on. We know that future guests will greatly appreciate your location tips, thank you. We hope to see you again in the future.