“Decent Room/Great Location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cardozo Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cardozo Hotel
Ranked #140 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Decent Room/Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed one night at the Cardozo, primarily for its location in front of the beach.

They graciously let us check in a couple of hours early, which was perfect because it gave us a room to change comfortably to beachwear and enjoy the rest of the day.

Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Though the room was recently renovated, it smelled a little musty, like most beach hotel do, but the bathroom was old and not cleaned properly.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the ice machine.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I was expecting quite a lot from this hotel, given the location and the price. In the end it's fine, but nothing to write home about. We had three rooms between us, one twin and two doubles. One was spacious, two were not. They were all clean and tidy.

Everything was basically ok, but nothing was great. One major downside was the thumping music that plays until late, right outside some of the rooms, but given the location you can't really expect anything less.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LNJS
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am a review reader and so I read the other reviewers comments before we booked this hotel. I was a little leery about staying there but I was not disappointed in the least. There were a lot of complaints about small bathrooms and noise but our room had none of that. I reserved a Queen Ocean View room but was given a King Ocean View room instead for the same price. Score big right off the bat! You get what you pay for I guess. Seems like the cheaper rooms may be a bit smaller from reading the other reviews.

Our room was situated on the 3rd floor in the corner of the hotel and so had cute curved windows that went around the corner of the room. The room was pretty large, the bathroom was larger than the one in my home with 2 sinks and walk in doorless shower. Even had a bidet but I really don't know what to do with that! Must be for the Europeans. There was beautiful dark wood teak on the walls with an interesting ceramic tile wave pattern going through it. The bed was a king and had mosquito netting (maybe you'd call them sheer curtains) hung above that was pulled and tied at the corners so it felt like a little "I dream of Jeanie" love nest and made the room look exotic. Some others complained of noise but I did not hear a thing in our room. The bed was very comfortable. One complaint was that there is only 1 chair. We needed 2. The front desk staff were all very polite and got us in and out without any hassle. Thanks for upgrading our room! Guess maybe it's the off season now so more opportunity for them to do so.

We are from Fort Lauderdale and this was just a little get away for our 1 year anniversary. It was the perfect place to come. We stayed 2 nights and it was enough to get around and see things. This hotel is in a great location. We walked all over and did not move the car the entire time. We parked in the garage right beside the hotel for $20/day. It's $35/day for valet but who needs that! We didn't want to get in the car while we were there. It's only minutes to walk to Espanola Way, Lincoln Road, great shopping and the gay bars Palace and Twist. The beach is right next door and it's a very wide beach with a lot of rentals available for lounging and some concessions.

There are so many restaurants along Ocean Drive that we were overwhelmed about where to eat. Each one seeming looking good and having very similar menus that one did not stand out from the other. After walking a while and viewing the menus we just got tired of looking and picked the next one we saw. The food was very good. We did get tired of having each one stick their menu in your face and asking if you wanted a table every time you walked by. Guess you have to get a little New York-ish and just ignore them and walk on by.

One annoying thing was that every restaurant automatically added in the gratuity and the restaurant at the Cardozo put on a $.50 donation to Mt Sinai without asking. Not that we would have minded but we didn't like that tactic. I'll choose my charities myself. IMHO the wait staff have sort of screwed themselves out of some tip money when they add it in because I normally tip 20% and they were adding in 17-18%. This is gratuity and not to be expected without giving great service. It makes me a little angry when they just add it in so they don't get anymore from me. I found the service at the Cardozo front restaurant a little slow and I had to ask for more coffee and ask again for the check when the waiter was just standing there doing nothing but talking with the others. They weren't that busy and the food was OK but not great for breakfast. Throughout the day the restaurant was pretty busy every time we walked through. We did not eat dinner there though.

Overall this hotel was lovely. You can't beat the location and our room was superb. We would definitely stay there again. My advice is don't go cheap on your room. Stay somewhere off the beach if you can't afford it. We loved it.

Room Tip: Do go cheap on your room. Pay a little bit more for the ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed for 3 days at the Cardozo and were really pleased with the hotel. It wasn't perfect & it doesn't offer amenities that larger hotels do but the room was clean, the location is excellent, and when we had an issue the manager corrected it immediately. We would definitely stay in this hotel again. The only thing I would say is, request and make sure you are guaranteed a renovated room. We were initially to get a renovated but our room was given away, we saw the older room & wasn't pleased, the manager immediately corrected the issue, the renovated rooms are much nicer! We also got a really great rate by getting a special with living social. We were nervous because of the other reviews but this hotel was nice. (clean, good rate, excellent location, good management)

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

You know, I guess if you want to stay in the middle of it all in South Beach, then this hotel without a doubt is an option. However, as all of these properties are very old and renovated, I believe you are not going to find the space and ammenities that one can become used to at bigger hotels. These definetely do not exist here, and in all fairness, I do not believe they exist in any of the neighboring hotels either.
Having said the aforementioned, here is my review: My family and I arrived her last weekend. We are not really the partying type, we simply just wanted to spend some time at an ocean front hotel in South Beach. Needless to say, getting here on a Friday was not a smart thing to do for us. We hadn't been to the area in a bout 7 years, and I must say that the crowd that hangs out here has definetly changed. Anyways, back to the hotel. As we arrived we met with the front desk staff. Arturo and the bellboy (don't remember his name), were very helpful and accomodating. Once at the room, we noticed it definetely had a good space. The floor and the walls were hardwood, and we had a small view to the ocean. The bathroom on the other hand not very nice. Not only was it small, but it had a ridiculous design on the sink area that made the bathroom even smaller. Lastly, "extremely thin" is not enough to describe how thin the walls were. Everyday at about 5am, we had to hear the guys next door coming in from a night of partying. We heard all about all the nasty things they had done everynight. We were really not interested. I belive that since these hotels are all old and remodeled, at one point the area we were staying in was bigger. When the remodeling came in, they put up the cheapest, thinnest types of walls to create more rooms/space.
In conclusion, between the hotel experience, the changed crowd in the area, and a very negative experience we had on our first day with a Cardozo Restaurant waiter, I can safely say that our stay here was horrible! We hope to never ever stay here again. But, I guess if you want to be in this specific area, then you must stay here or at The Carlyle, or at The Clevelander, etc. I think that because of the age of the hotel, etc...your experience should be similar to this one at any of these other hotels.
One more thing, there were a few other hotels on the north end of South Beach that we might consider if we every stay in this area again (not for a long while though, but if).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelingblue

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Cardozo on the nights of 17 and 18 June. We called and our room was ready early (about 12:30) so we went to the hotel checked in and went sailing. The room was on the small side but was immaculate. I had asked for a quiet room so we were in Room 210 which overlooks a courtyard. The room was quiet with a couple exceptions in the morning, but my wife slept until 10.

The room was wood paneled with a nice presentation. There was not much space between the surface area above the mini fridge and the bed. There was a large walk in closet which was much larger than the closet we had at the Venetian.

The shower was a nice glassed in area, but he sink was a modern oblong bowl that was difficult to was in and thus water normally splashed on the floor when washing your hands. As a previous reviewer noted only one bar of soap and that was for two days. I wonder how long they expect one to last. The bathroom was very small as you can see from the photos. They may be larger in more upscale rooms as this was a standard. We found a deal on Travelzoo for $199 for two nights.

There was room for a chair near the window, but there was none. They did provide beach towels and the price for the breakfast specials was around $6 and included offerings such as two eggs, bacon and toast, French toast, pancakes etc.

All of the restaurants in the add and automatic 17% service charge. They normally run dinner specials early.

The Cardozo is at the end of the happening area of the Art Deco area as Ocean Ave only goes for a couple more blocks north.

There is no need to use the valet service as there is a public parking garage adjoining the hotel that charges $20 per day. That is as good as you can do in SoBe.

While it could have been better, I would not hesitate to go back tot he Cardozo.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived before check in time so the reception were happy to take our bags whilst we ate lunch at the hotel which was very nice. Due to a storm we ate there again that night and was very impressed especially as some people had slated it on this site. We checked in great and our bags were taken to our room. We had a sea view and the room was outstanding. Throughout our stay the staff were polite and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013