“Stay at the Clay”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #103 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed at the Clay hotel and it was beautiful and incredible. I think the Clay hotel should be a landmark for Miamis rich and cultural history. The flowers are evrywhere and the chairs are super cumfy. All the rooms have new TVs and carpet. I loved my room, but not as much as i loved the Food downstairs or the view from my balcony :)
A few of my friends went Marriot for the trip but i would much rather stay where the life of miami is. I am soooo happy with my choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Benjamin W

Reviewed 28 March 2013

From the moment i came in i was greeted by the concierge. Fresh flowers were everywhere and art upon the walls. In my bedroom were fresh towels, folded so nicely and the bathrooms were well stocked. The chilling areas were peaceful and filled with leather couches.
i had an amazing stay and the food downstairs was FANTASTIC!!!!

Room Tip: ask to try one of their newly renovated rooms :) the best rooms are on the second floor
1  Thank Sky W
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The Clay is not a place to go if you're looking for the glitz and glamour of south beach, but it is very reasonably priced in comparison to other hotels in the vicinity. It is in a great location, you can walk to most of the main attractions from this place. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor, the hotel is located on two very popular streets filled with res...
1  Thank Cinnamonwillis
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I loved this hotel. It's gorgeous, clean, comfortable, and loaded with charm. Check in was a breeze, valet parking simple and quick, and the location couldn't be better. I was very wary because sometimes the older hotels are full of mold and dilapidated ... definitely not the case here. This antique has been beautifully preserved and upgraded without losing any of it's 1930's charm.

This will be my first choice next time we come to South Beach.

1  Thank Soccer-mom-dad-kids
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Located in one of the prime restaurant areas, The Clay is very convenient to the Miami Beach Convention Center and close to the beach. I settled on the Clay Hotel due to its low price, proximity to the places I intended to go and availability at the time I needed. The front dest staff was cordial and professional--while I did ask to see my room prior to checking in, I found no reason to ask for a room change. Room 137 was spare: cooled from an in-wall air conditioner, with two curtained windows, one framed print on the wall above a bed with no headboard, night stand with lamp, small dresser with an extra pillow and blanket taking up most of the dresser drawer space, flat screen tv with a dozen channels to surf, an area for hanging clothes, safe, refrigerator, side chair, bathroom ensuite. Adequate. Not a boutique hotel. Excellent Wifi. The only downside for me was not having a surface to work at--desk or coffee table--not that there was extra room for it.

I read many of the reviews and was very leery of staying at this former hostel. What I found was a fine place to stay if you don't need or want to spend much time in your room. It is not a room for entertaining though the refrigerator is more than adequate for beer and wine. I did see, but did not use the toaster oven, microwave and hot water kettle located in a small room off the hall.

Española Way is a noisy place at night with lots of visitors to the many restaurants that line the road. I was lucky that my visit took place during a cold snap which limited outdoor activities including dining for a couple of days--that kept the noise levels down those nights. Once it warmed outside the sound of the air conditioner helped mask the street noise. Earplugs might have been a good investment but each day I was tired and had no trouble sleeping. Recommended for those not interested in spending much time at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PAperegrinator
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Where to begin, after check in you are expected to drag your bags about 2 blocks down a very busy street and up 3 flights of stairs. One in, the room smells of damp and mould and has virtually no facilities. Think of it more as a hostel than a hotel. If it was priced at $30-$40 a night I would say it was fair enough that you get what you pay for, but I paid nearer $90 I felt like I had a very poor deal.

On the plus side, the location is very good but I can't think of much else to recommend it. Room was never cleaned and I did not feel that my stuff was secure. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank cultv
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This hotel was one of the cheaper ones in South Beach. We only had to walk two blocks to get to the beach and Ocean Drive. Close to everything. Staff were nice and accommodating and upgraded us to a better bigger room upon arrival without us asking. We were in the refurbished part of the hotel. Rooms were simply decorated with nice beds and thick carpet throughout which was nice and we had TV big two screens for each room. Bathroom was nice. There was a microwave in the room. We were allowed to check out one hour late as well which was also nice of them.
The only thing I would say is that our room was facing the main Espanola way and it did get noisy.
It wasn't a major problem as we slept right through it but if you are a really light sleeper then maybe ask for a room not facing that way. There was aircon in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main Espanola way if you are a little worried about noise but it wasn...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends