“Charming”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #103 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Budget hotel. In the heart of Miami Beach. Next to Española way. Great location!
Few steps of the beach. Mini markets, bars and clubs all around. The hotel s bar is nice. Ask for a Mojito! U ll not regret it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I´be been to Miami several times now, but the first time I was there I stayed in this small great hostel right in the center of South Beach´s social and night life attractions.
The Hostel is located on the intersection of Española way and Washington ave, a couple of blocks away from world famous Ocean Drive and its cool cafes, bars and restaurants and the beautiful beaches of Miami.
The hostel has a young atmosphere, with people coming from every corner of the world. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable and great value according to the service. The people at the front desk was a bit arrogant so I avoided them for rest of the days of my stay.
On Española way there are many good restaurants and the street is always crowded making of it another spotlight in the night of South Beach.
I am already planning my next visit to Miami and planning to stay at The Clay again. Looking forward to be there next summer!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I just spent 4th of july weekend at the Clay Hotel in South Beach and I was very disappointed. Our room was very small with bare walls and a tiny tv. We found hair in the bath tub, inside the refrigerator and stuck to the hairdryer in the bathroom. To make things worse the AC unit was so loud we were having a hard time sleeping.
I complained to Jose at the front desk, who said that they were fully booked and he couldn't give us another room at the moment.
Jose was very nice but I can't say the same about other front desk attendants who were plain rude to us. We were told by one attendant to let them know the night before our departure what time we needed a taxi for so they could call it for us in time and when we went over to do so the lady at the front desk (which wasn't the same one as the day before) gave us an attitude and told us to just call the taxi in the morning. It seemed like she didn't want to be bothered with us.
Another time we called the front desk asking for an iron and they told us to go pick it up!!!
I won't be staying at the Clay hotel again. That's a pity because the location was fantastic, we enjoyed the restaurants and how close it was to the beach,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

They checked us in to a run down room. When we first saw, we thought they mixed up our reservation, we would never pay more than 30$ for THAT. Charging over 100$ for it is outrageous. The next day they switched us to a different room and we thought:'ok fine, may be life will get better'. The other room was clean and not too bad, but the noise, the music coming from the restaurants below doesn't go down until 2 AM. In the middle of the night some drunk heads started getting into the room and front desk clerk made a key for them. Never ever again. It's a good place for people who likes to party a lot and don't mind noise until 2AM. It's not a place for couples who prefer something quieter. And it's definitely overpriced. Don't quite understand so many positive feedbacks about this place. Location is good though, close to everything. That's the only positive thing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Espanola Way is amazing!!! Best street in whole Miami Beach. However, this hotel is stylish with very nice interior. Services are good, they offer luggage storage if you need and they were very kind to accomodate us hours earlier of regular check-in time. A little unpleasant surprise was view to roof with noisy A/C units, so we kept curtains closed. Also the room across the hall has been renovated, so a lot of noise for whole day. Personnel was willing to change our room, if some room gets available.

Room Tip: Ask for room with no "roof view"
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have been staying at the Clay since the mid 90s. The place has always been a place I could count on for safe, reliable, affordable accommodations. This visit, was outstanding. Upon our arrival, Irina offered an early check in and upgraded our room. We were so happy as the room was perfect. Since the 90s, the rooms have been remodeled from pink stucco walls to a "West Elm" modern design. Thank you Clay!! I will continue to come back!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank AnaMariaDelAire
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I honestly had a great one night stay at this hotel I love this place good value and good room and even greater location I highly recommend this hotel and the guy who works in the front desk Axel is such a sweetheart

• Stayed: June 2013