“sneaky hotel be aware”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #102 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 14 May 2014

i stayed at the clay hotel in march the rooms were tiny and dingey even after being renovated hardly any room to walk, we also got charged with out being told £60 after we left? Be aware! the room hardly ever got cleaned too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank heather h

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm glad I read the reviews prior to booking this hotel otherwise my daughter & I would have been wandering around South Beach at 6:00 in the morning. My daughter & I like flying into Miami a day or so before we go on our cruises so I chose the Clay Hotel. We took a "red-eye" and our flight arrangements kept changing and so I called the Clay Hotel to see if we could get an early check-in. I was told that a special notation would be made. We arrived at the Clay Hotel at 6:00 a.m. on a Friday morning. So when I check in, the manager (I assume) told me that there were no rooms available. I told him that I had called and let them know that our flight would be arriving earlier than anticipated. The manager did tell me that there was a place where we could leave our bags but that they were not responsible for any loss. I was ticked off. I told him that nothing was open and that we were not going to walk around at that time of the morning because it was dark and we were women. So finally he looks through his listing and tells us that there is a room available. I handled this situation with class and tact but I wanted to slap the hell outta him!!! His assistant was actually very nice...he brought all of our luggage up 3 flights of stairs (there is no elevator in the hotel). Our room was clean, quiet & close to everything. Even with the problems, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FlyingSolo916
ClayHotel, Manager at The Clay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are so upset to hear on your experience at our hotel.

Our check in time is indeed at 3:00PM and early check ins are subject to availability and may incurr fees. However this does not excuse any lack of customer serivce you may have received during your arrival.

Occurence will be further investigated by management to ensure that it does not repeat itself. Employee whom you spoke with was certainly not a member of management , we do apologize for inconvenience.

We hope to have a another opportunity to accomodate your stay in the future.

Please feel free to contact us regarding this matter , you may email us to info@clayhotel.com

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This lovely little hotel is in the heart for Miami South Beach on Espanola Way.
Rooms have been renovated to a high standard, although they are a little small but ideal for a short stay.
Reception Staff were great, friendly and helpful.
The hotel has valet parking for $19 a day which isn’t too bad as it’s difficult parking in Miami beach.
Espanola way is closed off in the evening and the restaurants and bars come to life. The main street on Miami south beach is Ocean Drive which is only 2 blocks away where the art deco district is and is full of life in the evenings with vibrant restaurants, bars and clubs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Older building partly renovated and undergoing further renovation.

Our room had been recently renovated including the bathroom. The room was compact but adequate. The bathroom was small but worked with the exception of no soap holder in the shower and no real vanity to put things on. We really enjoyed the lovely king bed, the air-conditioning, the free in-room WiFi, the large in-room safe (I could fit my HP Note Book in it). If, like us you prefer ceiling fans, it was quiet but only had one speed, high. Shower water pressure was quite reasonable.

We stayed on the Clay Villa's. An interesting set up with buildings down the street with separate entrances. Very "Spanish" by original design.

The Clay Hotel is conveniently located on the corner of Washington Road and Espanola Way, the later with maybe 7 or so restaurant on a tree lined festive street. The main shopping mall along Lincoln Road in about 3 blocks away, an easy walk. South Beach is just a few blocks away. Our room despite fronting Espanola Way, was beyond the restaurants and very quiet.

Service was good and very helpful.

Everything was great except for an adjoining room shower which was very load, so much so that it woke us at 1am.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our room which was renovated in the building known as Clay Villa's
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great location near the beach in a latin street, clean and comfortabel rooms, nice and very helpfull people.
The valet parking is a great service for $20!
Reasonable price for this area in miami.
Downside is the sound of the surrounding clubs in the night.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Seebird_11
Reviewed 1 May 2014

.........as long as you've read the reviews!
Stayed here in April for 4 nights thurs-sun. Had a superior room and emailed the hotel beforehand to request a room with a balcony.
Check in was fine and they had reserved us a room with a small balcony overlooking Espanola way which was just large enough for 2 chairs but at least we could sit outside and watch the world go by!
The room was functional, but very dated-old carpets with chewing gum, old fridge which froze solid any drinks that were put in it, but on the whole it was comfortable enough.
Now, many reviews on here state the noise from the pedestrianized road below but we decided to take a chance anyway. Our room was in the 2nd block back, above a tapas bar......
Thurs night, no problem sleeping at all
Fri night the floor was vibrating from the music below, but because we'd had a few drinks it didn't stop us sleeping.
Sat night however the floor and walls were vibrating because the music downstairs was so loud, so didn't get to sleep til gone 3am after the music had finished.
Sunday night was quiet.
If I went back again I honestly don't know if I would stay there again on a Saturday night-possibly in a quiet room, but if you're intending staying out til 3am ish anyway, the noise won't be an issue.
Our friends had a room in the third block along which is still on Espanola way, but a lot quieter with no restaurants/bars around it and even though it wasn't a superior room, it was larger than ours and had a much bigger balcony, though not much to sit a look at at that end of the street.
The main reason for booking this hotel was to have a room with a balcony, because they are so few and far between in South Beach. It turns out that the hotel is perfectly positioned for the beach/bars/nightlife and although not cheap, it's a fair bit cheaper than most others in the area and for those reasons, I'd definitely stay there again-just not overlooking the street on a Saturday night!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank westsussex2
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Just left after a 4 nights stay at the Clay. Had their budget room which was in their second building down the street. The hotel is right on Espanola Way, a very touristy & lively area of SoBe. My room in the second building was peaceful & I didn't hear much of anything from outside at all. My room was clean, bed was comfortable, flat screen tv, great AC, a fridge for use, & hangers for clothes. I highly recommend this hotel. A person of size may have issue with the compact bathroom. The hot water was plentiful & shower pressure was good too.
Room was not only nice but it's location is one block from Ocean Drive & 2 blocks from the long strip of Miami Beach. It's also 3 blocks from Lincoln Rd Mall. So it's very central.
I walked everywhere. There's a CVS about 3 blocks. I would return to this hotel. Room was recently renovated so was happy with the cleanliness of it. You will see some renos still be done in the hallways etc but nothing that will in convenience your stay.
Housekeeping was good too. There are no elevators but it's two flights of stairs at the most. If u are moderately healthy, this would not be an issue. I had no problem walking up & down the stairs. It's a classic building so get some exercise. The Airport Flyer stops just a few blocks away & costs $2.35 to get from MIA. Leaves central stations every 30 minutes & takes 30 minutes to get into South Beach.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo