“Great Budget Hotel in Miami”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #98 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Ontario
“Great Budget Hotel in Miami”
Reviewed 24 October 2008

I stayed at this hotel with some friends in early Oct. This is a budget hotel so do not expect 5-star accomodations. We were very pleased with how clean the hotel was. We had a comfortable room and the location of the hotel is excellent. I was very pleased with what I got for the price we paid. The staff were very helpful often looking up attractions on the internet for us. Typically you trade off service for a good rate....not the case here. There are great, reasonable restaurants in and around the hotel and the beach is only 2 blocks away. I would definitey stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — Didn't have full cable tv in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 September 2008

This hotel is located in a nice area in South Beach. But don't expect much for this price. We found the hotel en booked a room for the same night. It was small and the bed was too soft. But hey, it was cheap, clean and the shared bathroom was adjecent to our room. Good option if you are traveling on a budget.

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 16 August 2008

My 3 friends and I were looking for an inexpensive place close to the beach to hang out for a few days. One of my buddies found the Clay Hotel. I realized it was going to be a rough stay once I realized that once I checked in, I needed to walk through an outdoor restaurant and up 6 flights of stairs to get to my room (no elevators). We get into the room and there's basically about 2 feet of room between the double beds. The rooms were very small. I stepped into the shower and realized part of the shower glass wall to the exterior was missing, so had we not been on a higher floor, anyone walking by outside would be able to see in.

There was no iron in the room, you needed to take your ID and go to reception give them your ID and they'd loan you the iron and you get you ID back if you return the iron.

The only positives were the A/C was ice cold, which was a plus in the heat of South Beach, and the hotel was only a few blocks walk from the beach. So if you're really not expecting much, you just need a place to store your stuff, sleep, and shower and you're on a budget of $60-$80 a night, then the Clay is for you, just don't expect much.

• Liked — Close to the Beach, Price
  • Disliked — Service and Amenities
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank tiz78

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Stayed in the hotel part so had a private room. Rooms were basic, but clean. Quite a quirky hotel and loved the bright colours. The rate we paid was great for Miami, esp. considering the location - near to the main shops and very close to the beautiful beach.

Outside th hotel there were market stalls selling art, jewellery and some nice little bits and pieces. Restaurant below looked good tho we never ate there.

If your lookin for a cheap sleep in Miami, a stones through from the beach then this is ideal. We were backpacking at the time, so it suited us to a T.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — it wasnt the prettiest, but it did the job!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Avoid this place. The website makes it look lovely but it is in fact dirty, noisy, expensive and in serious need of an up date. To top it off the staff were rude and very unhelpful.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Hawaii
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Do not stay at this hotel. I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend for one night before heading off on a carribean cruise for 7 days and got my credit card # stolen by one of their employees. I booked my stay online using the hotel website months before and paid for it online. When checking in they asked me for he same credit card to "confirm" my reservation. It made me uneasy that the front desk person was taking so long to check us in and I now know why. Ending up that employee somehow "cloned" my credit card. I had that physical card in my possession but they were able to use my credit card account to run up charges at various establishments. I only found this out because1) I never use this credit card 2) this was the only credit card that I brought to use on my trip 3) I never used this credit card in FL except when checking in to the hotel 4) was notified by my credit card company when I was trying to make a purchase in Mexico while on my cruise. They told me of the "suspicous" activity and had to immediately close my account. Save yourself the nightmare of having to monitor your credit for months making sure that your identity has not been stolen and trying to clear the situation up with your credit card company.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Employees
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank H1ginger
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 7 July 2008

GREAT location on cute little Espanola Way in South Beach, and decently clean, but we had multiple issues with inoperable key swipe cards (we had to call the front desk to come reprogram the door at least once each of the three days of our stay.) A good stay but only if you're willing to bear with some deficiencies!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends