“Is a Business more the Art”
Review of Miami City Ballet

Miami City Ballet
Ranked #59 of 126 things to do in Miami Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Miami City Ballet's (MCB) regular performance season takes place in three major theaters in South Florida: the Adrienne Arsht Center in downtown Miami, the Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale, and the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach. Please check your tickets carefully for your performance location, or call the MCB box office at the telephone number provided in this listing for more information. Critically acclaimed by The New York Times, MCB is led by Artistic Director Lourdes Lopez. The Company has more than 40 dancers, and a repertoire of over 90 ballets which they perform in the four home counties of Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Collier, and around the world. MCB maintains its headquarters in Miami Beach in a facility designed by renowned architectural firm Arquitectonica. The facility houses rehearsal studios and administrative offices as well as the Miami City Ballet School.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My daugther dance for four consecutive years, participate in the Nutcracker and complete a summer camp in one occasion for different reasons she missed one year of ballet school. She wants to come back for fun and try the two weeks summer camp, and they suggest that she has to do the three weeks summer camp for BEGINNERS???? That's mean that she never learn anything before?? ??However, her ballet class report before were good for her level.

1  Thank LRLO

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I travel worldwide and ballet is my passion. Of the companies in the USA, there is none I enjoy more than Miami City Ballet. Their technique is at the highest level and their winning, appealing style is remarkable. If you are in the greater Miami area anytime between October and May, check to see if they are performing. You will be glad you went.

1  Thank Joe N
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Holidays... Nutcracker was an option. Worth the money. Adorable ballet, costumes, music. Kids friendly. Perfect!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would imagine that very few families that come to South Beach end up booking tickets to the Miami City Ballet. In fact, it was a perfect day at the beach when we went to see the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. And we are happy that we did as it was a beautiful production by a very strong cast of dancers that kept our 10-year-old captivated for 2 hours. I would love to see more performances by this company.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My friend and I had a horrific experience with this "company" called the Miami city ballet. However, they can hardly classify themselves as a company since they are a scam. We drove from Naples, Florida all the way to Miami to see the Nutcracker. Not only did we book a hotel and pay cab money, we arrived to the Miami City Ballet Venue address to discover that it was closed. We were not the only ones who showed up at the Miami City Ballet venue at 2200 Liberty Ave. just to be disappointed with no show. When we booked our tickets on the Miami city ballet website, there was no notification that this show was actually being held in West Palm Beach (an hour and a half drive from Miami). The ticket and website only said that it was at the "Kravis Centre" but yet it stated the address of the Miami city ballet. Since we are not from Florida, we assumed the Kravis Centre was in Miami since we booked with the Miami City Ballet and there was no other city stated on their website or ticket.

Clearly this was a mistake, and we called the company afterwards to explain, but the manner in which the employee as well as the manager handled the situation was utterly repulsive. They were extremely rude to me, talking back with attitude and speaking to me as if I am an idiot. I understand this was our mistake that we should have researched further where the Kravis Centre was, but we would have at least appreciated an apology for it not being clear and at least a statement that maybe they will look into fixing this in the future.

Just to provide some examples of what both the employee and manager said to me:

That "well maybe I should've read the ticket better" and "how can I not possibly see on the website that it is not in Miami, it is clearly stated and I should've looked better" both spoken with rudeness.
At multiple points I had to tell the manager to not speak to me as if I was stupid.

I am sure the ballerinas and dancing would have been beautiful, however, the way in which the company handles itself is repulsive.

1  Thank danib333
MGMT_MiamiCityBallet, Marketing Coordinator at Miami City Ballet, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

On behalf of all of us at Miami City Ballet, we sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding and your disappointing experience. We are promptly making changes to our online and print communications to better indicate where our performances take place, for those patrons who are visiting us for the first time. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Please note that our Miami Beach studios primarily host our professional school and educational programs.  Our company performances, unless otherwise noted, take place in some of the largest and most prestigious venues in the region, including the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami, the Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale, and the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach.
If you are willing to contact us directly at marketing@miamicityballet.org, we would love the opportunity to rectify this incident. We appreciate the time you took to visit us from Naples, Florida and are eager to ensure that every experience with Miami City Ballet is of utmost satisfaction.

Been to Miami City Ballet? Share your experiences!