“Great staff, nice hotel... still working out the kinks”
Review of Sense Beach House

Sense Beach House
Ranked #74 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I travelled to South Beach to celebrate my birthday with friends. We had an amazing time and the Sense Hotel was a big part of that. Overall, the trip was fantastic and we enjoyed ourselves. I don't really have any major complaints just noticed a few quirks that made the stay just slightly less than stellar. We ran into a minor confusion on the first night regarding our hanging out in the lobby area. But it was smoothed over quickly. The second quirk was that friends of mine had difficulty getting more towels at one point during the weekend. Not sure if the laundry delivery was delayed or something, but that proved to be a slight problem. My room wasn't cleaned to my satisfaction by the end of the trip but it wasn't a horrible issue. The last issue was that the pool (which is really quite surprisingly small) wasn't very clean. A grimy residue was noticed around the ring of the pool.

While I do have these minor complaints, I must stress that the staff was very helpful and very accomodating. None of these issues detracted from the wonderful time I had at the hotel. Considering that the hotel is right on Ocean Drive - across the street from the beach - it would be nice if they had a relationship with the business on the beach that rents chaises and umbrellas and offered one or two lounges and umbrellas for the hotel's guests. The folding chair and towel that we were handed as we headed to the beach was cute but inadequate. Knowing that other hotels on the strip do offer this amenity to their guests, I think it would be a good thing for the Sense to consider as well.

My second suggestion would be to locate a business that can operate the restaurant/lounge that is in the lobby area. We were told that the restaurant would be operational for our visit but it was not.

That said, the rooms were wonderful. The beds were amazing and again, it was a wonderful trip. Since the hotel is just opening, I suspect the few issues that we ran into will be worked out in the near future.

I look forward to returning to the Sense on my next trip to Miami.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank pinkribbongal

Reviewed 10 May 2010

If you are looking for a hotel with personality and great staff this is your place. Alex and the crew were amazing. There was nothing we asked for that Alex did not provide. The pool is the perfect size for a small gathering and the hotel is a great location between partying and relaxing. Putting aside the RUDE manager of the restaurant attached to the hotel ( which is still not open) this hotel and it staff was amazing A+

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 6 May 2010

BEST SOUTH BEACH HOTEL BY FAR!

I wish I could give Hotel Sense all five but they came real close! I love the hotel with it's "W" feel. The rooms were fantastic as well as ALEX!!
The hotel was very accommondating to our group's every need. I am very skeptical about hotels on South Beach but you can't go wrong with this one. The only reasons I gave it a four was for the following:
Ran out of towels ( but they were at full capacity with a group)
Opposite end of South Beach ( but a good thing when you don't want to be near all the noise & drama)
No bar area or food choices in the hotel

Other than that....it's perfect!!!

Reviewed 27 April 2010

This boutique hotel is juuuuuusst on the edge of SoBe, in what is called "South of Fifth" or SoFi. Very quaint, clean hotel. Alex, Junior, and Christine all get five stars for personality, and helpfulness in getting us around town. The rooms are average sized fabulous contemporary styled. One major complaint I have was that for all of the upscale contemporary styling of the all glass shower, the shower literally poured water out over the entire bathroom floor. We had to be so very careful while showering to make sure we didn't hit the glass. Which, if you think about it, is impossible. And, with the floor being polished tile (you guessed it) it's a major slip and fall hazard. I did mention this issue to Alex. But, without them remodeling, it's not going to change.
The rooms are also energy efficient designed. When you enter the room, you have to insert your room card into a slot in the wall, and then the a/c will turn on. We figured out pretty quickly, that you need to request two room key cards. One to use as your room key, and the other to keep in the wall so the a/c won't turn off when you leave the room. It gets pretty humid and stuffy in Florida ya know.
But, the location is great. The room was quiet at night, when we wanted to sleep. We had the room with a forest mural on the ceiling. So, when you walk into the room, the soffit lighting gently illuminates across the ceiling only. Pretty cool and nicely thought out. Since you are only one block from the Ocean Avenue excitement, it's easy walking to everything. An Ocean view was not really happening from any room as I see it. And, the rooftop pool and lounging area are interesting, but not really inviting as a place to hang out or gather. You want to get out and see and do things when in South Beach.

Oh, and on the parking. . . It pays to seek out a street space. It's 1.25 per hour from 9am-midnight. So, the absolute MOST you will pay is $18.75. We found parking one block away every time we needed a space, and we figured out that in the end we paid about $9 per day overall. And, it Pay2Park (not coin metered) so you can use your credit/debit card.

1  Thank Dragonfly972
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Ok, I'll get right to the point......we just stayed 5 days in south beach and stayed at this hotel.

1.) This hotel IS for you if; you wanna party like a rock star and not sleep at all. Go w/ a friend or a group of friends. The location is fabulous and within seconds from the beach. The hotel is beautiful, contemporary and very chic. The staff was excellent to deal with. Alex was a real nice guy and Christine was just awesome!!! its not too often you come across someone who really cares and she is top-shelf. HANDS DOWN!!!

2.) This hotel ISN'T for you; if you are there to do some shopping, explore Miami, relax, maybe grab a few drinks and crash by say 2:00 AM. You literally can not sleep AT ALL! You can hear every door slam, every voice, all the traffic, the elevator doors,construction workers @ 7:00 AM. It sucks and it can ruin your next vacation day because of no sleep. We think they should have insulated it a little bit better because I know we are not the first couple to be irritated by this issue.

They also do not offer coffee or drinks even for purchase in the lobby. They mentioned the restaurant is coming soon but they didnt seem very convincing. So, if you're thirsty or hungry you have to walk to the closest place.

Overall, we wouldn't stay here again but the hotel is nice and the staff is very courteous. Also too, its deceptive when they advertise "Ocean View" rooms. They are not. The ones they consider "Ocean View" are ones you step put onto the balcony, look to your left and in between 2 buildings you see a narrow, far-off view of the ocean. That's just flat out wrong and a lame attempt to milk people for more of their $$$. Sorry to sound negative but we would rather be brutally honest so others dont make the same mistake we did if you're looking for a quick getaway.

5  Thank avidtraveler24
Reviewed 11 April 2010

we stayed here April5-April7 2010 & our stay was great & the people were great.The beds are great & hotel was simply the best!!!!!Best hotel in South Beach Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was greatttttt

Reviewed 26 March 2010

Having read lots of reviews for Miami hotels, I wanted to find somewhere where we would actually get some sleep!! This was the spot. The rooms were great and we had no noisy neighbours. The pool on the rooftop was small but good. Those on reception were fantastic - I've never come across such helpful staff. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple