“Great place, great location, very fair price, friendly owner”
Review of Sherbrooke Hotel

Sherbrooke Hotel
Ranked #181 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
hopkins, mn
“Great place, great location, very fair price, friendly owner”
Reviewed 7 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Sherbrooke for 5 nights the end of January 2010 and found it a delightful experience. The rooms are small suites with a kitchen and very clean. It has a great location, just one block from Ocean Drive and the beach. Furthermore it is just 2 blocks from the bus stop that took my wife to her convention in Miami. The owner, Mitch, was friendly and helpful and always available by cell phone. Since the hotel has no front desk, the experience is like renting a small apartment with the landlord at one's beck and call. The price per night was incredibly reasonable and significantly lower than other South Beach hotels at which colleagues of my wife were staying. Bottom line -- this hotel is a great deal and a gem. One word of caution for other suburbanites who come to South Beach for the first time -- The streets are noisy late into the night with tourists and again early in the morning with delivery trucks. As Minnesotans coming from winter to summer, we slept the first night with the windows open. Bad choice. Once the windows are closed, the sound proofing is excellent. Also, while the hotel has no parking, there is a municipal garage 2 short blocks away. Even with the $20/night for parking, the Sherbrooke was still less costly than other South Beach hotels.
We plan to stay again at the Sherbrooke next year and are recommending it to friends and acquaintances.
Axel Kornfuehrer, Hopkins, MN

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Conrad Hilton is known for his saying, " Location, Location, Location", That being said, this hotel is Not a Hilton property and I for one am glad.

Hotels have lost so much of what they have to offer by over expansion in a corporate environment. This hotel has a family feel to it. Warm and inviting and great locale.

Is it the fanciest hotel on SOBE? No, but i stay here every time i am in Miami Beach.

Mitch and his staff are courteous and friendly offering a personal touch that can not be rivaled by high thread counts or other like amenities.

Two thumbs up , I would highly recommend this hotel for your next trip to SOBE.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
TORONTO, CANADA
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The Sherbrooke Hotel is the place to stay in South Beach Miami!!! Great location; as Ocean Drive and beach just around corner; and surrounded by great shopping!!!!

The Property Manager Mitch is an awesome guy; there to meet you on your arrival; and always available as he lives on site!! Oh and one can't forget Maggie (little black toy poodle) who is always around to greet the guests!! she is sooo cute

The large rooms are very clean, lots of closet space, great hot shower; and have fully equipped kitchen with great appliances, oh and can't forget the hurricane sound proof windows that keeps the street noise out; and one can get a great nights sleep (which in many of the South Beach hotels one can't as windows are not sound proof)

I would highly recommend The Sherbrooke Hotel when visiting South Beach Miami!!

Thanks again Mitch for making my stay in South Beach Miami so good; and for sure will stay at The Sherbrooke whenever I am in Miami!!!!

Dave
Toronto Canada (February 19,2010)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Maryland
Reviewed 18 February 2010

The comments on this website are accurate - read a few and you'll get the picture. I think this place is good for some and not so good for others. There is no lobby - so if you need a quiet place to chat, you aren't going to get it! The checkin/buzzin process was a bit odd, but personable for such a city location - felt more like a B&B. I liked Mitch, but there are a few things that could be upgraded to make this place more universally appreciated.

I did not feel unsafe. You get a key to the front door, which also works in your room door. There is an old deadbolt and an older keyed lock on your room door. The elevator was scarey - so I walked up several flights of cement stairs with my bag to my room. Hardwood floors were spotless, and the amount of space in the room was great. Linens were awful, I haven't had that thin a towel since the gym in high school, and a washcloth was available "on request!" While we're on it, the bathroom was really in need of a remodel, and a deep clean. It didn't smell, but I did best when I took a shower after dark and made myself not look around. The bed linens were not great, but they were clean and the bed and pillows were pretty good. The kitchen was great to have - particularly with a nearly full size refrigerator so you can chill your wine and orange juice for the next day. But the cups were a little gross and I ended up buying some disposable cups to use. There was a little table and folding chairs, so nowhere comfie to sit and watch TV or lounge - must sit on the bed to do that. Free internet worked the first day really well and didn't work at all the second day. The hotel is in the heart of things, and that means if you want to sleep, you should really really think about NOT being here. Even with the windows closed against the sound, the call for "TAXI! on the street at 2:30 am, or the streetsweeper about 5 am, or the leafblower somewhere around 5:30 am is really loud.
Summary: Nice to have more space in this room than ever before in South Beach. Cleanliness in bathroom and kitchen kindof grossed me out. If you stay, bring your own towels and cups and EARPLUGS (or plan on partying all night elsewhere!)

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Marylander44
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2010

If your wanting a luxurious lobby, a traditional and staffed front desk, and room service, this is not the place for you! However if you are more interested in a cost effective place in an excellent location the Sherbrooke is perfect.

Checking in was a different process than what we are typically accustomed to. There is an apartment style intercom with keypad at the front door which dialed the owners cell phone and he was able to buzz the lobby door open for us remotely. Mitch told us our room number through the intercom and he had left our room unlocked to we could get started unpacking. He met us a few minutes later in our room to square away the registration paperwork and payment.

Our room was more of an apartment than a traditional hotel room. It had a dining area, a small kitchen, and a bedroom area. It was adequately clean but not spotless. It could also use some updating but it definitely had personality and a South Beach charm about it.

The memory foam mattress on the bed made it one of the most comfortable beds that we had ever slept on. The room was extremely quiet even though we were in the heart of a lot of activity in the neighborhood.

The location is absolutely excellent, just a block west of the beach and all of the activity on Ocean Drive, and only about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the restaurants and shops on Lincoln Road and Espanola Way.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Sherbrooke and would recommend it as a good budget mined option if you don’t need the luxury or service of a traditional hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edandpam
Manitoba
Reviewed 15 January 2010

We just returned from Miami and reread some of the reviews for this hotel and have to say that I agree with many of the comments, both good and bad. The good. You can't beat the location, the suite was spacious, the bed was great, and it was warm(given the temps when we were there this was important). The bad. I thought the suite was quite clean but my wife was not as keen. She said the bathroom hadn't had a good clean in years. To prove her point she cleaned it herself, and yes, a lot of what looked clean wasn't. To be fair, my wife likes things ultra clean and the bathroom wasn't. The towels were old but clean. We never say Mitch after check in, he never did tell us how to get in touch with him if we needed something. If noise bothers you this is not the hotel for you. You can hear pretty well everything your neighbors are doing. You can hear everyone going and coming in the hall and since this is South Beach people are coming and going all night. Outside noise wasn't a problem for us because it was too cold to open windows.
I had trouble rating this hotel. My wife hated it. The noise bothered me. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people like ourselves but I would recommend it to people who like to be close to the action and aren't as fussy about the room Good value for the money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ohnbrown11
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2010

When you walk up to the hotel, the main door is locked and you have to ring a bell for them to let you in (which creeped us out a little to start). Then, the man tells you to come up to a certain room. You walk up a staircase and then down dark hallways to a room where the guy is waiting with papers and the keys. He was very friendly, first of all. But, my husband went down with him to pay for the room and I did some looking around the room. The room was very clean, but safety is my #1 priority! There were deadbolts on the main door to the hall (which he and us had a key too). But, there is also a 2nd door to the hall with just a door knob lock on it :( There was no extra little lock to secure yourself inside so no one could come in from the outside, which I did not feel safe about! We ended up changing hotels as soon as my husband came back from paying and was out the $200 for our 2 night room. But, it was worth it, we went to a newer hotel up the street and felt safe, safe, safe!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple