“The best way to see the Art Deco district!”
Review of Art Deco Tours

Art Deco Walking Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take the #1 walking tour in South Beach with the most popular tour guides in the district. Art Deco Tours, Inc.will enlighten and entertain you with fascinating facts and stories. Two hours will fly by fast. Stroll along Ocean Drive and learn about the history, the unlikely hero who saved the Art Deco buildings, the role of Hollywood and the mob. You'll learn and admire the architecture from the outside and design & decor on the inside. You will become experts in Art Deco by the end of the tour! Daily small group tours (max 8-9 people) are offered several times a day, for that personal engagement and VIP access to select buildings not permitted to large groups. Enrich your visit and learn about the culture, history and architecture of South Beach beyond the beaches! Price starts at $30 per person. Private tours also available any day or time. We also offer LITTLE HAVANA TOURS. Be sure to click the link for our web-site to learn about all our tours.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Probably one of the best walking tours that I have experienced, and I have done many around the world. I was fortunate to have Christine Michaels, the owner, as my guide and thoroughly enjoyed her insight into the architecture and history of this very unique area.

Unlike other tours that I witnessed as we walked through the district, only our tour had access to the lobbies of some of the most sophisticated and historical hotels of South Beach.

I would not only recommend this tour for its content and access, but I would also recommend Christine and her company as a resource to select your hotel before you arrive. She truly knows the ins and outs of the lodging in the area and could help you book the perfect place to stay during your visit.

1  Thank EVolFan
Christine M, Owner at Art Deco Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello Earl!
Thank you kindly for the high praise!

For just $5 more than those large group tours, guests enjoy the exclusive access, the small group setting and the occasional complimentary cocktail courtesy of the hotels. Plus you also received highlights of the tour indicating every stop we made and the historical and architectural significance.

Indeed we're like a concierge in that we go beyond the storytelling and help you with hotel and restaurant suggestions. So glad to receive your email sharing that you returned to one of the hotels for your conference group gathering for evening cocktails.

We know the best hotels and service. It's all about elevating your experience.
See you on your next visit for our popular cocktail tour.
Cheers!
Christine

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We loved our tour guide, John! We have two teenage boys and his combination of an easy going personality, wit and wisdom was perfect for our family. We did not know exactly what to expect however, right from the start, John set us at ease asking if there was anything in particular we were interested in seeing or hearing about. We loved being able to soak in the South Beach Art Deco vibe at a really comfortable pace. We saw and learned much more than we ever would have on our own. John also offered to take a number of family photos for us along the way. Our only regret is that we did not get a group shot with him in it! Next time! The follow up from the company was really amazing as well. We received an email with photos of what we had seen as well as an Art Deco recap. We highly recommend this tour!

3  Thank LindaKMcHugh

Hello Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so pleased the tour exceeded your expectations. Indeed John is our number one tour guide for obvious reasons--he's a man of many talents.

Who would have known that with an engineering degree he would become a professional music artist with a passion for architecture as well. He is so versatile and can educate and entertain both teenagers and corporate CEOs alike.

This tour is for anyone who wants to appreciate history and architecture and culture in an entertaining way. Anyone with teenagers should request John!

We await your family's future return to our cocktail tour so you can get that group photo with John!

Cheers,
Christine

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We would support everything positive that other reviewers have said....knowledgeable and relaxed (fun) guides, a small group which gave us access to all the interesting indoor deco sites, and a great idea to follow up with an e-mail describing (and picturing) what we had seen. If you are even only vaguely interested in Art Deco architecture, take this tour.

2  Thank rlw_chester
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Liked the small group and friendly guide. He shared interesting trivia and I loved going into hotels and even rooftops for a special view. Easy paced he said he was passionate about the area but I didn't get that feeling though he was friendly and gave us good pointers on dining and drinking.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I had to convince my husband to take this tour- I ALWAYS RESEARCH MY TRIPS and use TA for my base of tours and places to go...wanted to take this tour - and on our walk along Ocean Drive in SoBe , we past who I thought was Christine of Art Deco Tours with what was a small grp - 9 total & also past several larger grps from the preservative society tours too...so in the shade I call Christine's' # that I had on my 'research papers' in my purse in in 2 hours - had book a tour for 1pm that same day, after Christine return my call within 20 min !

couldn't get her but had James instead and he was awesome in his LOVE & knowledge of art deco ( almost a private tour with just the 2 of us and 1 friend/local of James ) ..cool to be able to go INSIDE the historical bldgs and check out all of the art deco details - 1. simplicity to details, 2. 3's/thirds 3. circles/nautical and plane themes 'all new at THOSE DAYS of the 1940's - rooftops patios that James said was open to the public but little known ...+ we at look lots of "floors detailing - leading to the gambling/prohibition rooms ! "

So glad ,we took the tour earlier in our stay at SoBe because post tour, EVERYWHERE we went , we try to point out art deco details and stare at all of the floors and even venture inside many other hotels not on tour - James and his friend even gave us tips/hints to local nightclubs and lounges for us to go to and even places to eat ! ( which only confirm my husbands research that nightclubs are for the young at heart 20'30's and start very late at night ! 11pm -5am ! ) we're in our 50's and opted out but did visit the 'Clevelander' at night ! and peek into 'Mango's' too.

WOULD DEFINITELY recommend this small group setting..especially if you like history and architecture and walking for 2 hrs ( springtime was pleasant weather , not so sure in mid summer with 80% humidity and T in 100's? ) but lots of opportunities to GET INSIDE THE HOTELS ( with AC )with a smaller group - not sure if you can get this with larger groups though?

Been to Art Deco Tours? Share your experiences!