“A cool little SoBe hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dream South Beach
Ranked #62 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“A cool little SoBe hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Hip, modern, clean, good location. A couple glasses of champagne at checkin is always welcome.

People say the rooms are small, I'm not sure that's actually true. Square footage may be less, but what's really missing is a freestanding round table or some other seating that most hotel rooms have but that I'd guess many people, at least me, rarely use anyway. Functionally, I think the room is perfect and, in fact, the shower is enormous - I'll take that over some filthy lounge chair any day!

The lighting in the rooms is very chic, but it is a bit dark and can make things like mirrors in the bathroom a bit less easy to use. We didn't mind, we were only there for a night, but your mileage may vary.

Recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Dream, and sharing your experiences and giving your nice recommendation! We had a nice time taking care of you, and hope that you will come back and visit us again for a longer stay next time. Until then, take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Hebrew first
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The good things about the hotel are its location, the rooms (small but okay and we liked the stylish and modern design), the roof terrace with a small pool and a bar. We would not say that there was anything bad about the hotel but we think that it is too expensive, there were no furnishings in the room to put your cloth in and there is no free parking. Also, we had a room next to one of the elevators which was very noisy and I woke up each day around 6am. A bit to early to wake up while in holidays.

Room Tip: There are two elevators which are noisy. I woke up each day around 6am. You might want to ask for a...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your business and taking the time to share your thoughts. We are sorry that you were disturbed by some of the noises from outside of you room, but it is nice to hear that you were able to take full advantage of our location and the cool design of the hotel. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the future!
Dieburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The modern "boutique-hotel-feel" is very welcoming...but soon you realize the disadvantages!!
Rooms are very small and very dark. The "modern" lighting system prevents you from finding anything. Putting make-up on is rather difficult. The glass door in the toilet needs some getting used to, especially if you are traveling with somebody you are not that close to.........or you simply don't want to see them sitting on the toilet!!! The roof terrace is nice, pool is small. Drinks are very expensive!! Valet parking is totally overpriced!! The location could not be better though and the staff is very nice, friendly and helpful!! Interesting but probably better for "young" people!!!

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the top floor as the cooling system on the roof makes a hell of a noise!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anja70
We really appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and your honest feedback. Your comments help us improve in those areas to make sure we are operating at our highest potential. Thanks for your nice comments about our friendly staff - we really do take pride in providing fun and friendly service for our guests. We hope that you will consider staying with us again for your next trip to South Beach. Take care!
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a golden gem on Collins Avenue. Very close to the beach and action. You can sit on the front patio with an overhang and enjoy people watching with a cup of coffee or a drink. Not overly crowded. This is a plus in South Beach. They have the most amazing staff. The GM is hands on and always available. Peggy is truly one of the reasons we go there so often. The front desk welcomes you with a glass of champagne and is available 24 hours a day. They also will help with any questions or needs. The best staff by far. Hotel security was top notch. Someone was always around to help. Our room was always clean and turndown service was excellent. The cleaning staff was friendly and helpful. The rooftop pool and bar is awesome. You have views of the beach and the city. It has the most amazing staff. Rick and Igor at the Highbar are another important reason why we always choose the dream. They are so fantastic! Aide,Valerie.KellyJonathan and all the others at the pool make it a great experience. The pool is heated and like a spa.Love it. With so many choices in SoBe they make a stay here worth it. Massages also are the best. Ask for Eddie. The onsite restaurant and bar is managed by Ty. He is A-One Fabulous. He is a keeper. New owner Ralph Pagano is personable,hands on and ready to make it even better. We will be back again,of course. The events manager Alison throws some pretty awesome events. Go here,relax,enjoy and let the best staff in SoBe take care of you. We do.

Room Tip: Third floor is best.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was very nice to welcome you both back and have you stay with us for another great stay! We always have a great time making sure you have a fun and relaxing stay, and it looks like you had a blast and got to interact with a lot of our friendly staff. We really do appreciate your glowing comments about our hotel, and we will definitely be looking forward to your next visit at Dream! See you soon!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is a great hotel style-wise if you like funky, modern edge. The rooms is dimly lit with lots of unique characteristics. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are functional. From a pure hotel perspective we enjoyed our stay. We did, however, have two issues during our stay both related to security. One was being followed in the elevator from the pool area and being asked for money, and the other was having our car cleaned out and driven around town by the valet service. Both of these put a damper on our trip.

Room Tip: Higher floor keeps you away from street noise.
Dear Guest,

I would like to offer my apologies for the two unfortunate issues that you experienced during your stay. These are definitely not true to form to the high standards we hold ourselves to here at Dream and will be investigated thoroughly as we take them very seriously indeed. However, it is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy our cool design. All of us here at Dream hope that you will come back and visit us again in the future, and I am fully confident that we are able to deliver a rockstar experience for you. Take care!
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Joining other big mysteries of the universe is the mystery about how this hotel has such a high rating. I have stayed in Holiday Inns that were better put together than this hotel. Some of my highlights:

1. Paper thin walls (I had to be moved once) so thin I could hear conversations in the next room.
2. Glass walls on the bathroom. The staff had to put up duct taped sheets of paper. Classy.
3. Tiny rooms with very little storage space.
4. Possibly the worst designed light switches I have ever seen in a hotel room. My favorite part is how they stayed lit up at night very brightly, illuminating the room when the lights were off.
5. The room was uncomfortable hot. The engineer literally told me the thermostat wouldn't go below 68 because it would freeze. Are you serious?
6. In a 4 story building wait times for the elevators were 6-10 minutes. Also the elevators smelled like someone had just washed their very dirty pet dog in the them.
7. No gym in the hotel? The Hotel staff told me they chose to do a spa instead. (IE: Revenue generation.)

The few good things: nice rooftop area, beautiful views with really hard working, nice staff. The Cleaning staff was nice too. Decent beds.

The hotel ownership group should be ashamed of themselves for how badly this hotel is run. I will never stay at this hotel again and it has soured me on the whole Dream Hotel chain.

Room Tip: Go to the Loews.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rob B
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for you honest comments about your experiences here during your stay. We appreciate your feedback as it helps improve and be responsive to our guest's needs and requests.

It is unfortunate that the efforts of our staff to accommodate your various requests did not help make a more positive impact on your stay with us. We realize it is frustrating when things don't go exactly as planned, but we take pride on being able to respond quickly and creatively to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. We also understand that our hotel may not be for everyone as there are many elements in our hotel that are unique and different than the other hotels throughout the world.

Thank you again for your business and your feedback. Safe travels!
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Opposed to what trip advisor ratings might imply this hotel is definitely not for everyone. The Dream hotel caters to a specific type of people. Make sure you belong to that group before booking your stay there.

First of all the rooms (except the suites) are extremely small. There is basically a bed and two little closets, one is the shower and one is the toilet and sink.

For me this turned out far to little space, I ended up having to jump over suitcases most of the time when I wanted to navigate the room.

The light is blue and whilst this can be a fun experience for male travellers it was nearly impossible for my wife to get ready in the morning. Actually, for the first time in my life, I saw my wife with pieces of paper towel hanging on her face walking around in public!!!

The service was also not up to my standards. I don't ask for much but when carrying two huge suitcases and two bags at 5am after a long flight and obviously struggling with it I would, at the very least, expect an offer to help me with them.

Well, at lest the staff was very forthcoming when I asked to change rooms. They showed me another room so that I could convince myself that all non-suite rooms are actually identical and that all rooms have this blue light. And when I asked to chancel the remainder of my booking they were great about it. Seems that I was not the first one to visit the Dream and turn out to be in a nightmare.

Room Tip: Standart rooms are very small so if you want space go for suites or maybe choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Romain_Schneider
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express yourself, and share your experiences with us. I am very sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay and that we did not live up to your expectations. It is distressing to know that several smaller issues came together to create such a negative experience.

Here at Dream we take pride in being able to offer a unique, fun, and relaxing hotel experience. We do understand there are some physical limitations of the hotel which may be challenging for guests who are accustomed to larger hotels throughout the world.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again, and I am fully confident that we are able to provide a most excellent and enjoyable experience for you. Thank you for your business, and we all hope to welcome you back in the future. Take care!