“Bad Dreams are made of this”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Dream South Beach

Dream South Beach
Ranked #61 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
manhattan n.y.
“Bad Dreams are made of this”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

A few things to know going into this hotel : high concept rooms,complicated lighting controls/system, the good restaurant they have :Serafina is leaving, walls are thin, and if you are not the partying type, skip it.If you are loaded most of the time, the things that ann oyed me might not bother you.
They have a small pool with salt water on the roof top which is OK, unfortunately the one afternoon I wanted to use it they told everyone that they would have to leave by 5 because they were having a "private party". But you could come back at 8, but not to actually use the pool Pretty good way to show that your business doesn't matter to them.Being that they are charging an extra $8.99 a day for this it's pretty insulting. The fire alarm that went off at midnight 1/13 was another added bonus.The miami fire dept. had to come to shut it off because the staff could not figure it out.When I asked if they would allow me to use the front desks e mail to forward my boarding pass for the next day, a courtesy most hotels allow you, they said I could use the pay computer in the lobby.One of the staff said, OK , you can use my email, but I'd already logged on the pay computer.So, in general,I would recommend another property like the Standard or the Fountainbleau, both better run hotels, over this.One plus, they do have a landmarked art deco drinking fountain in an alcove off the lobby that is beautiful.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
2 Thank sandybeachers
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not have a very pleasant stay with us. We do understand there are some elements of our hotel that may not be for everyone. And of course having the fire alarm go off at any time for any reason is also highly frustrating. We would love an opportunity to welcome you back in the future, as we are confident that we are able to provide a truly relaxing experience for you and your friends. If you are ever traveling to South Beach, please contact me directly and I will be happy to help make that happen for you. I may be reached at: johnwalbridge@dreamsouthbeach.com, or 305-673-4747.

Thank you for staying with us, and take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I travelled from Australia on our honeymoon at the start of December 2013. Miami was our first stop on our trip and we were looking forward to discovering South Beach.

Alas, we had bad luck. We were stuck in Dallas just after the snowstorms and when we finally arrived in Miami (after 30 hours travel, instead of 20) our bags were missing (do not fly American Airlines!).

We ended up checking into Dream South Beach at around 2:30am the following morning. We alerted the receptionist about our missing bags and they then alerted the front desk team. There was a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room which was refreshed for us the following day due to our late arrival.

The concierge continually assisted us when we needed to use the phone and the hotel tried to do what they could for us. They went above and beyond noting our next address details so they could contact us should they receive any updates.

The location was good but not excellent, it was walkable to most areas we went though. We did have a hire car to go elsewhere which we did make use of.

The hotel itself was a little gem for us. As we had no luggage we need to spend our holiday time in Miami shopping mostly, so crashing out after a big day it was great to have a comfy bed and romantically lit room. The rooftop pool was also the icing on the cake, a quiet place from the hustle to relax, unwind and soak up the sun.

Thank you to the staff at Dream. We wish we could have spent more time relaxing, your hospitality and all your help was very much appreciated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Very nice! Thank you very much for your pleasant review! All of us here had a nice time taking care of you and helping you relax after so much headaches due to travel issues. We hope to welcome you back soon for nice, long, relaxing stay here in South Beach. Take care!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Overall our experience was okay. Great location for the genre of male traveler we are with restaurants and clubs at the front door, the beach a block away, etc. The rooftop is beautiful and the staff overall were friendly, especially the room cleaning crew.
What was really unacceptable, at least the way it was done, was being scolded for being too loud on two occasions because other guests complained. First of all, if you are staying at the Dream then you should expect it to be a hoping place, not a retirement community. I have stayed at the Standard many times and never had a complain for music coming from an iphone or a conversation that was perhaps a bit louder than normal. It should be practice to call a room first before coming up to complain in person. The last time, two people came up while we were getting ready to go out. Were we suddenly a public safety threat? Really?
It is a shame because I would be interested in staying there again, but do not need to be treated like a child who has done something bad! Maybe if the hotel turns down the music in the hallways...

Room Tip: If you want a room with a good size go for one of the junior suites. They tend to not really cost th...
1 Thank SetterJetter
Dear Guest,

We want to make sure that all our guests in the hotel are having a comfortable and relaxing stay, and it is the responsibility of our in-house security department to go and investigate any comments or concerns made by other guests in the hotel. I am sorry that this made such a negative impact on your stay! Hopefully you will consider staying with us again, so until then, take care!
DCBC
Reviewed 9 January 2014

First of all, not a bad hotel, I expected much more for what I paid but as usual, every tourist trap has it's price...
I do not recall signing up for the "Dream Package" which you wont see on booking but will rear its head on check out. (I actually seen people yelling on checkout over this) $8.99 per day for "internet/towels/and beach chairs" Last time I checked anywhere in the world I went and booked a hotel, the towels were complimentary, internet.. well their explanation was that you could walk off the street, hang in the lobby or outside on the chairs and use the internet and not get charged a dime, but the guests have to pay.... imagine that? And beach chairs, ok, if you want to use them, fair enough, tip accordingly..
I don't mind using the washroom and having my girl be able to watch me or her being watched, no bathroom privacy in the rooms..
Concierge was excellent, hats of to Ben who took care of me and my friends, sorry dude, ill tip ya when I come back to South Beach (damn bank card quit on me on the last day) I wont forget!!

Overall South Beach- clean up the streets please? It looks like LA in most cases with a tropical feel, the beach I heard was still really dangerous after dark talking to some locals.
Overall Dream staff- Excellent (I don't know about the front desk staff that I seen getting yelled at on 3 occasions passing through the lobby)
Overall Dream rooms- Average
Overall Dream hidden fees- Fail (shame on you Westin booking, you said that my prices included EVERYTHING including taxes/resort fees/Dream Package etc..) Fail
South Beach- Bring lots of cash

Room Tip: stay on 3rd floor, just off the street noise (its bad)
2 Thank BooBoo D
Thanks for staying! It is great to hear that Benjamin was able to take care of you - he is a fantastic concierge and we are proud to have him. I am sorry that you felt that our Dream Package was a hidden fee. This package is for all hotel guests per day, and the fact that it includes those awesome lounge chairs on the beach in such a prime location is a great deal! Our apologies if this was not explained clearly when you arrived.

Thank you again for your business, and we hope to see you again!
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I enjoyed the service, the staff, the pool area and especially the super-comfy bed. The front desk agent was super-helpful during our stay. This hotel is definitely for the 'party-crowd' types. I must note that the lighting in the room was tough to deal with when finding stuff in your suitcase or putting on makeup- even if you have perfect vision. Also, the elevator up to our room was small and slow and the elevator going to the pool deck did not smell great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thanks very much for staying with us, and taking the time to share your feedback. It is great to hear that one of the front desk staff was able to take good care of you and make sure you had a nice time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Yes, the decor is over the top, but it is actually done in style, and in the end you are not in Miami Beach looking for understatement. It's expensive, but it delivers on everything: comfort, style, superb service, local flavor, location, facilities, and restaurant quality. Some reviewers had concerns about the rooms being dark and small, but I didn't find that to be a problem. Also, don't miss the picture-perfect rooftop pool and terrace bar, a magnet for the beautiful people.

There is certainly a lot of questionable style in Miami Beach, including many of its expensive hotels. But in my opinion, you will find none of that at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Very nice! Thank you so much for your nice review! We are very happy that you loved the design of our hotel and got to feel like a rockstar during your stay up on our beautiful rooftop. We really appreciate your high praise and hope to have you back for your next trip to South Beach!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Four friends and I went to South Beach for NYE and had a great time at the Dream. The hotel has the perfect location being right on Collins Ave close to everything. We spent most of our time on the roof hanging out by the pool drinking copious amounts of alcohol. Rick and Paul were fantastic bartenders - super friendly, courteous, and a lot of fun to hang out with.

The rooms were pretty small but you shouldn't be spending too much time there considering you're in South Beach. Just drop your stuff in the hotel room, hang out by the pool, sip a cocktail, and order a Club Sandwich from Serafina - you won't be disappointed. The vibe on the roof is pretty laid back, doesn't get real crazy up there. Kind of a nice retreat from what you'll definitely be doing at night at the clubs.

You're about a 5min walk from the beach and all the hustle and bustle on Ocean Drive. Be sure not to eat on Ocean Drive, you'll get ripped off. Rent some bikes and go up and down the walkway that runs parallel to the beach, it's great for people watching and checking out all of the other hotels.

Would definitely go back to the Dream and recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to get away from the loudness in the street
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Sounds like you and your friends had a most relaxing and enjoyable time! It is really nice to hear that you were able to spend some time with Rick and Paul on the roof and allow them to quench your thirst in style. Thanks so much for your great recommendation - see you next time!