“Poor management”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #114 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I don't know how this hotel is rated 4 stars! Please don't waste your money! I stayed at the Breakwater a week and the staff gave me at first a tiny room, even though I booked a month before asking for a room for 2 people.
Some of the staff at the front desk are rude and lied to me. They have poor management skills and beware of charges they add to your bill. I used valet parking for one night and they wanted to charge me for 4!.
The room was not always cleaned and we had to ask for new towels and toilet paper almost every day. They eventually bring big towels, but not wash cloths or floor mat..it was frustrating since this hotel isn't cheap!

Room Tip: Very noisy at this hotel either from Ocean Dr. noise or from restaurant below where you hear dishes...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Selena0304
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Selena0304,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I apologize that we did not meet your expectations with your room selection. We would love for you to give us a second chance, as we will make sure to accommodate you with a larger room, and away from all the noise from the night life. You can contact me directly at Jrodriguez@breakwatersouthbeach.com and I will make sure to give you the best service possible. We hope to hear from you soon so that we can truly provide the best service I know we can.

Best Regards, Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Breakwater South Beach

Reviewed 22 August 2012

I was happy threw out my vaction on the beach i was greated by jack who was one of the best staff members in the breakwater. He was very friendly and provided me with great assitance. The food was great and the waiters were great. The rooms were nice and i would love to come again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Crissy121,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad that you decided to stay with us for your vacation, and that our staff met all of your expectations. Glad to know that you enjoyed the food at our restaurant "Nine". We will make sure to let our staff know of your great praise, hope you will be back to visit us soon.

Kind Regards, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at Breakwater from 8/9-8/14. We were greeted by German, who took our bags to our room and was very attentive. Even though we arrived before check in (actually at 11:oo a.m.), Isabella was able to get us in our room. When she found out it was my husband's birthday, she had a bottle of champagne sent to our room. The room was very clean and well appointed. The color scheme is really nice. We called ahead and asked for a upper level room because Ocean is busy, busy, busy at night... we got room 310 and it was cool!
At night, Marcus was able to tell us some stores to get snacks. He was very friendly!

The restaurant was pretty good as well. The pool was nice- the side facing the street is clear! The lobby is nice- I can't say enough about the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to any one of my friends and famiy!!

ABOVE ALL I HAVE TO POINT OUT ISABELLA AND AMANDA. THESE CHICKS ROCKED!! THEY WERE EXTREMELY HELPFUL, EXTREMELY FRIENDLY AND FUN TO ACTUALLY HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH. I'D COME BACK HERE FOR THEIR HOSPITALITY ALONE!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the same building as the lobby.
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Recently stayed @ The Breakwater July 27-29... I must say it was a very nice stay...The only issue was we ( my female travel buddy) were given a room with one bed and were not switched to double upon Several request....Besides that the staff were very pleasant and helpful...There was a party every evening in the court yard and even a concert...I have already recommended the hotel to several friends and will most likely be returning for my birthday....

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 16 August 2012

If you're after a relatively relaxing and peaceful break, don't stay here. Whilst it is in a great location for restaurants and nightlife, it's very very noisy! Because the hotel is Art Deco there is only single glazing so no espace from the music and hustle and bustle from Ocean Drive.

We stayed on the 2nd floor but I think you would be hard pushed to get an ocean view room as there is a park between the hotel and beach! Maybe on the very top floor! The pool is more like an extra large dip pool as you can't really swim in it as it's too small and the water too hot!

Be aware of all the extra charges, they state there is free wifi, sun loungers, etc but you get charged a daily resort fee and we also got charge $15 per day for a beach unbrella - a bit of a rip off as you can't really do without this when it's hot and the sun is strong!

Breakfast was OK but came at an extra cost - they promote happy hour on both food menu and drinks but you never know when this is!! We thought we were having a drink during happy hour but still got charge $25 for a cocktail and $10 for a bottle of beer.

On the plus side, the bathrooms are lovely and very well stocked with towels and toiletries. The bed is nice and large and vey comfortable. The mini bar is well stocked but very over priced.

Would I stay here again - probably not as you can stay in a much better hotel one block back for the same cost per night - we paid through Expedia but found out that we had paid far too much - if you just turn up or book last minute direct with the hotel, it will cost you a lot less ($100 per night in our case!!).

Room Tip: If you want to stay in this hotel, go for a suite on the top floor, it's the only way you might...
1  Thank JackieSBath_UK
Reviewed 15 August 2012

In short, I stayed here on July 26th 2012 and purchased a PH suit. (I think PH212) I wont bore you with the 2 minor issues. My major complaint is the valet parking attendant(s) stole money out of my car. When confronted he offered to give the money back to me without question. When I spoke to the manager he took $15 off my bill and said he was sorry. It seemed to everyone that this wasn't a big deal. I wont give my money to thieves so I wont return. I sent a email to Breakwater about this and received no reply. Go figure.

Room Tip: Don't let the valet parking in your room..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric M
Reviewed 15 August 2012

MARGINAL FACILITIES WITH HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT PICK SOMEWHERE ELSE. I know that there is always the chance of a bad experience and/or reviewers that are rarely happy with anything but this takes the cake. I also know than on occasion managers are faced with insurmountable issues but I’m convinced that in this case the management took an active role in screwing us over. Long story but the first night our neighbors decided to act like commoners and keep everyone on the floor up with a big party. Hotel security finally managed to shut them down well after midnight. After a nice discussion the next morning with the manager we were assured that we would me moved to a new room by mid-afternoon. After waiting until early evening after numerous inquiries, we were informed that they really didn’t know anything about my conversation with the manager, he was gone and there were no way we could be moved. B.S. all the way, we moved to the Hyatt for less money and had a grand time for the remainder of the evening. This is a very poorly run outfit praying on the theory that tourist traffic is transient and can be discarded.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else.
1  Thank RLehmann1