“The Jewel of SoBE!”

Ranked #109 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“The Jewel of SoBE!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I had an amazing time! The hotel was great and the staff too. I do not want to stay anywhere else, during my future visits to Miami South Beach. The rooms were great. I loved the rooftop access and also the resort amenities. You can even ride an art deco style cruiser bike. The hotel is on Ocean Drive right across the street from the beach.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We came here and are still currently here on vacation for labor day weekend. We arrived Sunday, September 1st and initially the experience was great. The hotel staff greeted us and assisted us with our bags to the room , and the front desk was wonderful with plenty of helpful tips for our stay.

When we walked in the room we were a little disappointed, it was smaller than we expected and some of the linens were not cleaned. We are not ones to fuss about this stuff however and just removed the dirty quilt. The view of our room was quite interesting as well, we literally saw the backs and fronts of other vacationers almost up against our window... yes our view was a straight view of the pool... awkward.

Afterwards, we went downstairs to grab a quick bite as we were starving from our flight. We just ordered simple items that were on the happy hour $9.95 menu. The waitress was kind at first, but was quite pushy about us getting happy hour cocktails, we're not big drinkers, but just because she pushed so hard I ordered a mojito (quite overpriced) I must say ($18). When our food came, our turkey club was not as the menu stated, there was no bacon. When we asked the waitress she rudely brushed us off and automatically told us bacon was not included in the $9.95 menu, its a club sandwich hello?!? When does a club not come with bacon? So we grabbed the menu and showed her the listed ingredients on their menu and she still wanted to argue with us... I would not eat at the restaurants within this hotel again.

The beach... now this was our most wonderful experience of the trip. The sun was not out due to the overcasting clouds, but our beach attendants david and javier were awesome. David in particular was very attentive, he found us a great spot on the beach and came back every so often to check up on us to see if we needed anything. The boucher brothers are quite lucky to have these guys on staff and I hope others show the enthusiasm and work ethic as these two do.

Overall, so far my feeling towards the hotel is mixed. Location is great, hotel and beach staff are great. However, it is quite noisy, and I'm not talking about the music that blasts till 4am. The noise I speak about is that of the housekeeping who starts banging doors and walls at 9am indirectly waking people up.

I will keep my review open and edit accordingly at the end of my trip.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank hennrocks81
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had a great experience from the time we got there till the time we left. The staff was very helpful with everything!! They gave us great recommendations for things to do. Great entertainment at Oceans Ten. Can't wait to come back!! Breakwater made South Beach a great experience.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Everyone from the lobby receptionist (Natalie) to the beach liaisons (Sam and David) were extremely polite. Even when repetatice question arose, no one ever gave unprofessional or inappropriate responses. The staff here made the trip extremely pleasant and worth while. Thank you Hotel Breakwater / Boucher Brother staff...

• Stayed September 2013
Murrysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I agree with all the other reviewers who mention the loud music. But when you stay in the heart of Ocean Drive, you have to expect that. This hotel is not a 5-star luxury place, but it's the best boutique hotel that we have stayed at in South Beach. Cool. Eclectic. A fun pool for late night swims above the stage and people dining below. The staff was very accommodating. And the beach vouchers were WELL worth the $18 daily fee. After many trips to South Beach, my wife and I will make the Hotel Breakwater our hotel of choice when we return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After my review was published, it now has mysteriously disappeared.

This hotel has bed bugs. My boyfriend and I stayed there for 4 nights 5 days and we were got ate up by the bugs. We noticed the itching start while checking out and on our flight it was very clear that we both had been infested by bed bugs bites. I had been bit a few years ago on my foot so I know what they look and feel like.

I called the hotel and left several messages for the general manager and manger, no one ever got back to me. This hotel does not care about their customers. It's very sad. I will never return. I am very upset that they have not tried to fix the situation, and also feel disappointed about my previous review's disappearance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jbhd1

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The hotel is located next to an open air club, which means loud noice till late in the night. We got an upgrade to the penthouse suite on the top floor which was still very noisy! Other than that, great rooms and perfect location!!