“It's all about Location!”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #115 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a room at the Hotel Breakwater for our first weekend in Florida. We arrived Friday night to a busy and loud Ocean Drive. I did read all of the reviews of this hotel though and knew what I was in for. Ana checked us in and sent us up to our Ocean View room, however it was lacking the king sized bed that I paid for. After a quick call down to her, she arranged a new room for us in the second tower that was absolutely amazing. She was friendly and fast and I appreciated how quickly she remedied the situation. Based on her service alone I would definitely stay at the Breakwater again!

The hotel is clean and very Miami Beach trendy! I loved the art deco architecture and the artwork on the walls was very cool. The one thing about the Breakwater is it is a very noisy area. Our room overlooked the Ocean and the Cleavlander which has an outdoor nightclub that goes until about 5am. They have earplugs at the front desk and I recommend that you ask for them and wear them! Otherwise, the hotel was fabulous and I wouldn't hesitate to book there again.

Thanks again to Ana for being so sweet and friendly! You really set the stage for a great trip! :)

Room Tip: The Junior Suite would be worth the upgrade. Make sure you bring or get earplugs!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kritter82
MiamiSunManagement, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your observations about your visit with us! I am happy your two enjoyed the music, activity and entertainment unique to our location here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Thank you for your feedback which is helpful in guiding our on-going never ending improvements efforts to enhance our guest's comfort amidst the energy of Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Breakwater South Beach

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were woken up by housekeeping at 9 am. When we complained to the front desk it was our fault for not putting out the "do not disturb" sign. But I really am not sure if it was our fault we were not given toilet paper? You would have thought that the resort fee would have at least covered that!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that someone knocked so early and did not properly supply your room thereafter. Our housekeeping department does try to diligently get into expected departure rooms at their earliest opportunity so they can provide our arriving guests with a fresh room upon departure. A do not disturb sign is helpful to them so they know who would like to 'sleep in' as opposed to the early risers, but it is not required. Your observations have been helpful to focus our training efforts to always make our guest's experiences all they better and comfortable. Please contact me directly on your next visit so I can help organize it for you and provide you with a proper South Beach experience we are so well known for.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The room was perfect, there was one issue that has annoyed be seriously. The keys to unlock your door and to use the elevator were not working almost every time I used the key.
The personnel was very friendly and therefor I would like to come back to this hotel. Management one advice: arrange the problems with the door keys

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

It was great having you here with us. Thank you for your observations and suggestions. They are very helpful in focusing our efforts to always improve our guest's experiences here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We are improving our key system along with many other details so combine a wonder convenience with the music, energy and entertainment here at our location. We look forward to having your here with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Hotel breakwater is a nice hotel which is centrally located. You have easy access to everything nightlife, the ocean, a variety of cafes and restaurants. The staff are really efficient. They changed my room in a short period of time although the hotel was almost fully booked. The rooms are super clean and fresh. As for the breakfast, it is the essential that you get in any four stars hotel in south beach.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Roni T

It was great having your here with us! Thank you for your observations about your visit. it is a wonderful fun location and we are always seeking ways to make our guests more comfortable. We look forward to having you visit with us again soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My fiancé and I recently stayed at Hotel Breakwater for a quick trip to Miami to visit family. I LOVE Ocean Drive so as soon as we found a deal for this hotel on Travelzoo we knew we had to book it. The Travelzoo deal offered a great reduced price and a complimentary bottle of Prosecco upon arrival. We absolutely loved this hotel and we’ll definitely be back! Miami is all about location and this place was ideal. First off it’s located on bustling Ocean Drive, across the street from Lummus Park and the turquoise Miami beaches. Our room was perfect number 235 it had the BEST location directly adjacent to the amazing infinity pool and deck area that overlooks Oceans Ten restaurant and Ocean Drive. This was ideal. The pool was never crowded so we felt like it was our private deck and it was so fun to swim and people watch down below. **Side note: As I stated this hotel is located above a bar/restaurant that has live entertainment nightly and it is located next door to the party lively Clevelander. If you are looking for a quieter getaway, this may not be your place. We however are night owls and loved the action.
One thing you need to know about Miami is that things are not cheap, especially staying on Ocean Drive. Also gratuity is pretty much always included. Even on just cocktails so read your receipts before tipping. Ocean Drive is all about dining al fresco and people watching, I love it! We enjoyed dinner Friday night at our hotels’ restaurant I Paparazzi (we received a 20% off coupon since we stayed at the hotel) I read some bad reviews about this place but for dinner we enjoyed it. Our server was excellent, very attentive not pushy, and our dinner was delish. I had the King Crab Legs and my fiancée had the Salmon over rice. We also attempted to dine here for a quick breakfast the following day however I immediately noticed a number of angered patrons and only two servers working, so we decided to go to Oceans Ten instead. Great choice and I enjoyed the same Eggs Benedict with salmon and spinach for much cheaper. Everywhere on Oceans Drive offers 2 for 1 cocktails (except beer and wine) and the huge, fun cocktails will run you $25 or so, they are fun and usually pretty strong, just buyer beware.
As I said we were in Miami for a quick visit before meeting family. This location was great; we had nightlife, live entertainment, good food, great people watching and a gorgeous pool and beach. The rooms are exactly what you need, the beds are amazingly comfortable, and the shower and bathroom were super clean.
One thing I did find was funny, my fiancé got me a glass of Cabernet while I was swimming in the pool, instead of going to Ocean Ten bar where they were about $8/9 he went inside to the lobby bar where a glass was $11! Back in the room we realized the half bottle of Cab was $12, Score! You might as well take advantage.
After loving our two night stay at Breakwater we decided we wanted to stay Saturday night as well. When we tried to book Friday evening originally we were quoted a regular Saturday night rate which was too high for us however after a short time the very helpful concierge decided they would allow us to stay for the Travelzoo rate we had booked prior. Obviously the hotel wasn’t booked so they allowed this and we were ever so happy. We loved this hotel and felt they were extremely accommodating all around.
Thanks Breakwater!

Room Tip: We had room 235 our window opened up to the pool and deck. We loved it! It was like our own pool and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura P

I was great having you here with us! Thank you for your detailed observations and suggestions. They are very helpful in focusing our on-going improvements to make our guests ever more comfortable in our active, entertaining locale. Please contact me directly so I can help organize your next visit with us in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We traveled on business trip and enjoyed our stayed. The hotel was atmosphere was great and the staff was very friendly. The location was fabulous along with the view. Hair dryer and ironing board was also in-room, as were bath robes. Mini-fridge was fully stocked which is nice to have. The pool looked nice although didn't a chance to use it. I don't recommend not getting a corner room its was very noise. Overall our experience was great and would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

It was great having you here with us! Thank you for your sharing your observations about your visit. I am glad you enjoyed our staff and our active, musical and entertaining center of South Beach. We look forward to having you here with us in the near future!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I'll have to start this with a disclaimer that this is my first time staying in a South Beach hotel.

Ok, lets begin. Location Location, Location. This spot was prime time if the beach is what you're looking for. Right across the street from the beach, next to Oceans Ten bar/pub/club/hangout spot if music is what you're looking for. We spent a lot more time at the Clevelander next door though, it was a much better environment. No cover, drink specials daily. Great place at night.

ROOMS
We had booked a king, but when we inquired about rooms that were "quieter", we were left with only one option and it was a Queen. We accepted this trade-off, but found that the queen bed was more like a double. So do be wary of this if you book the queen. Room was spacious. Not much places to put luggage. Noise was not much of a concern in the ones facing away from the street and club area. Mini-fridge on hand, although jam packed with for-sale items from the hotel so don't expect to be able to keep your leftovers here. Washroom was decently appointed, water pressure decent and hot water readily available. Hair dryer and ironing board was also in-room, as were bath robes.

SERVICE

Service, was decent, but definitely one of the sore points in the whole experience. My friend said it perfectly when he said he felt like it was "like a glorified hostel experience". There were some staff that were great to talk to. And some that were downright sour, and didn't seem like they wanted to be there at all. We had conflicting information about the pool opening hours from different people, this left us not being able to enjoy the pool at all in our time there. They also took away the beach chair service if thats important to anyone. We were surprised since we've read a few people mention this great service. Its now gone, not sure if permanent.

FOOD

We had breakfast included in our room plan. Breakfast hours are 7am to 10am. They are strict with these times. We were dumbfounded when they took away almost all the food at 10am sharp. When we inquired about possibly getting a few quick picks from the food (long day ahead) they'll most certainly throw out anyways, we were met with a profound no. What boggled our mind was another group went to inquire about the food, and they were glad to open up the buffet for them. Not too sure what was going on here, we definitely didnt feel like valued guests at this point.

SIDENOTES

Bike rental was a nice touch. One of the bikes had no brakes, we pointed it out to the front desk, and not a single eyebrow was raised. Watch out for the condition of them if you take them out.

You won't need a car rental here if you plan on staying in SoBe. Completely walkable, and definitely bikeable to most places you'll want to head to.

Overall a decent stay, experience somewhat soured by some of the staff working there.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street and oceans 10 are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackson J

Thank you for your detailed observations and suggestions regarding your visit with us! They are very helpful in focusing our efforts in our on-going improvement to make our guest ever more comfortable in our active, energetic and entertaining atmosphere. Please contract me directly so I can help organize your next visit with us in the near future.