“Ok, but not worth the money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Breakwater South Beach

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #97 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
München
“Ok, but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

All in all it was a good hotel but with a few deficits.
The service was really good and the staff is really friendly. The room is okay but there were some damages primarily in the bathroom. We found also mold in the mini bar.
The small gym (no window) was well equipped with a high tech treadmill, stepper and a bike.
Some bikes and green apples were for free as they were available.
The breakfast didn't meet our expectations. The main focus was on british food: scrambled eggs, sausages and potatoes. The fruit-offer was everyday watermelon. All in all very simple.
The pool is about 5 meters long and 2 meters wide so not very big but you have a few to the restaurant inside of it.
Sometimes our wifi break, which was very annoying. You should also know that it is very loud in the Hotel rooms as there is party every day ob Ocean Drive. Also no sun umbrella or chair is reserved our included for hotel guests.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JS_ruby25
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. We loved having you here visiting with us! Your observations are extremely valuable to us to help focus our efforts to make the guest experience always better. Being here in the heart of South Beach can sometimes be noisy. We will be modifying our windows this year to help minimize the noise of the surrounding area for the comfort of our guests. We look forward to having you visit with us again soon!

Chauncey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We understood that the Breakwater is on Ocean Drive, in the middle of the action, but we did not expect that our room would be less than 20 feet away from a live band (and then a DJ) playing extremely loud music until 4 am. That alone is bad enough, but the room we were given was on the first floor, facing an alleyway being used as storage (and with a glimpse of the stage where the live band/DJ was playing all night). The room was next to the staff's back-of-house service area, so by 7 am they were banging around doing laundry. The room was dirty--hair in the bed, stains on the carpet and furniture. The bathroom had no door at all, and the shower area had no curtain. So when we used the shower, the entire bathroom was soaked and pools of water remained on the floor for hours. There was only one full size towel, so I personally wound up having to dry off with the tiny bathmat. The sink did not work at all, so we brushed our teeth using the shower. In addition, out of desperation we ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner and while the food was admittedly very good, it was extremely pricey and the hostess was visibly drunk (slurred speech and we witnessed her drinking). The pillows were also extremely uncomfortable. We were supposed to stay two nights but checked out after the one terrible night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Momerath83
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am very disappointed that this was your experience visiting with us. We loved having you here with us! Your observations are very valuable in focusing our efforts to always provide an excellent experience for our guests. Here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive it is very active with entertainment and bustling with people and can be noisy. We will be modifying our windows this year to help minimize the noise for the comfort of our guests. Please contact me directly on your next visit to South Beach so I can organize a wonderful visit for you.

Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel plays loud dance music until 3 am. The speakers were about 20 ft outside our window, so it sounded like we were inside a dance club. We couldn't sleep at all. The room itself was also in awful condition. The bed was dirty (hairs on the pillows). The bathroom did not have a door or even a curtain. It was simply a cubby opening off the room. There wasn't a bathtub or shower... there was a shower head on the ceiling, so you could shower, but it sprayed water all over the entire bathroom area. The sink did not work at all, so I had to brush my teeth using the shower head. We reserved and paid for two nights, but left after the first because it was so bad. We moved to another hotel a few blocks north and it was MUCH nicer for only a little more money. I've never left a negative review on TripAdvisor before. You have to do a lot to make me angry, but the Breakwater did it. This was easily the worst hotel experience of my life.

Room Tip: Higher floor, south side of the building would be farther away from the dance music
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Mitchert
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am very disappointed that this is the experience you took away with you. We are a active, bustling, non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Because of all the activity here it can be noisy and the entertainment does go until the early morning. We will be modifying our windows in our historic Art Deco hotel this year to help minimize the noise for the comfort of our guests. As to the other service issues you mentioned, your observations are extremely helpful to focus our efforts because it is not typical of our guests visits with us.

Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Overall a good experience if you are on a budget in MIA. The sidewalk restaurant was a little much and at night, the band playing just outside is really loud. But the people who work there are friendly. I especially want to recognize Natalie at the front desk. She was super helpful and very nice from the minute that I checked in and even provided some dining options when I was looking for a bite. I also work in hospitality and she is a gem!

Room Tip: Get a penthouse overlooking ocean drive. The view of the water is good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We loved having you here visiting with us! Here in the heart of South Beach it can be noisy with all the entertainment and activity that goes on. We will be modifying our windows this year for the improved comfort of our guests. Natalie and the Team look forward to having you visit with us again soon!

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights. The room was very beautiful and stylish. But our room was just next to the Ocean Drive. The noise was awful until 2am. Next morning we asked if we could get more quiet room. Luckily we got a new one from the 3rd floor and it's was quiet. Ocean drive is very very noisy all day long. It feels every restaurant is competing who plays the music the loudest. We had nice breakfast but already then the music was too loud.

There was a nice little pool but it was just above the Brasilian bar. They played the music so loud that it was impossible to even talk to each other.

We really liked the hotel and the rooms, but the environment was way too loud for us. Don't go if you want to stay in a peaceful place.

Room Tip: Rooms above the street are very noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Being here in the entertaining and active heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive it can be noisy. We will be modifying the windows in our historic Art Deco hotel this year to help minimize the noise for our guest's comfort. The Team and I look forward to you visiting us again soon!

Midland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Being in customer service and it being such a big deal to me that good customer service is provided on behalf of those I do business with, being on personal or buisness affairs, I'd like to take a moment to tell you about my experience at your hotel.
First and foremost, Pablo and Ana are the main reason for me taking the timeout of my day to write this review, they are amazing! I was there with my children and girlfriend and the way they treated us was great!
One paticular incident that sttod out to me was the morning we were going to the beach for the day. We were told to ask for beach towels whenever we wanted to go, which we did, but the front desk rep at the time informed us that they were out at the moment. No biggie, but what was a big deal to me was what he told my son next: "Just go up to your room and get some." We then informed him that we had none, to which he replied: "Ok, well you can also go check by the pool and see if you find some there." Personally, I strongly belive that it's not the customer's job to "go search for something", it's the employees.
However, right as I was about to talk to the employee about what he said, Pablo came around the corner and asked if everything was ok, and if he could assist us in anything. I informed him about the current towel situation to which he quickly replied: "Yes sir, they are washing more right now, but don't you worry, let me find you guys some. I'll be right back."

Now, THAT, is the way you treat a guest! He didn't send his guest searching, HE WENT AND TOOK CARE OF IT! Personally, as a business manager, if I were in Miami, I'd honestly try and steal these two employees from you, because I'd want MY customers to receive the same level of customer service as we did, just being honest.

Thank you both once again for your great customer service!

AB Ruiz
PH15

Room Tip: The penhouse suites are my suggestion and the view is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. They are very valuable for us as we always seek to provide an ever more comfortable visit for our guests. We loved having you here with us! Ana, Pablo and the Team look forward to having you visiting with us again soon! Please contact me directly for your next visit so I can organize a wonderful time for you.

Best regards

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that you have plenty of hotels to choose from on Ocean Drive and in South Beach in general, but it's the experience the hotel provides that makes all the difference. With that being said, my experience at the Breakwater was so good that I don't think I would risk spending my money and time anywhere else. This hotel was perfect for us because, as four single girls, we wanted to be right in the midst of the party. This hotel is right in the middle of all the music and people, right across the street from the beach, and one or two blocks away from Fat Tuesday and Wet Willies so it was perfect. We stayed in room 212 and it was beautiful, definitely what you dream of when you're picturing an ideal vacation. There were two illuminated mirrors in the bathroom and a big full length one, perfect for four girls. The shower was so cool too. And there was complimentary coffee in the room, which is a necessity for me. There is breakfast every morning and probably the most important detail for me was the free water bottles. They may not seem important now, but when you're drinking in the sun all day, you will need it. (It's the little things) The hotel itself was awesome, but what really made the difference for me was the staff. What I noticed immediately about the staff is that everyone just wants you to have a good time. Vacation is a precious, precious thing and I think the staff knows that. As soon as we walked in, Stanley was really helpful with our luggage and made us feel welcome. He always asked how our night was and was always smiling. Natalie, Anna, and Marisol always helped us find stuff to do or sights to see, and always at the best price. They were so hospitable and they were so genuinely interested in our experience. Pablo always had time to chat with us and joke around and he always made us feel so welcome at the hotel. Mario too, he was never not smiling. He was always so pleasant and it was contagious. Elvin was really nice too. He always made us laugh and always came really quickly if we needed his help. Overall, I was just really impressed with the staff and how genuine they all were. They really made me feel like I was on vacation. I will definitely stay at the Breakwater again when I visit Miami.

Stayed July 2014
We are s glad you enjoyed your visit with us! It was wonderful having you here. Natalie, Stanley, Pablo, Ana, Marisol, Elvin and the Team look forward to having you visit with us again soon!