“Bait and switch” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunbrite Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Sunbrite Apartments
Montreal, Canada
“Bait and switch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

Arrived at the hotel only to be shipped to the Hotel Shelley like many others. Booked through Hotwire. Ruined my plans for shoestring budget since I'm a single mom trying to have a nice vacation with her teenage daughter. The Shelley did not have a kitchen which was the main feature I needed or wi-fi in the room. The Shelley had a loud disco bar in the lobby where wi-fi was available, and the room was very small. Finally was received on my fourth night, too little, too late. Sunbrite kitchen poorly equipped, no toaster, no spatula, no dish rack. Get parking pass before renting car or use $20/night parking building nearby. Saw a guest get her rental towed.

Room Tip: complain if all you find is a salad spoon and fork set to cook with like we had
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kim155032

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

On June 1, 2011, I made a reservation for a 2.5 star hotel at $54.00 a night in the South Beach area of Miami. My confirmation indicated it was a studio, had wi-fi in the room, a laundry room and a fully equipped kitchen. The hotel name was "Penn Station." I went to TripAdvisor and there was no listing for a Penn Station hotel so I called Hotwire.

The representative called the hotel and advised me they changed their name to SunBrite Penn Station Apartments but everything else (including the location, amenities) remained the same. He even confirmed with the hotel that they had a room reserved for me. In fact, on 6/15, I received a follow-up email from Hotwire that stated:

"We have been informed that the Penn Station has changed its name to Sunbrite Penn Station. Please be assured that the star rating and amenities are the same. The hotel still holds your reservation and your original Hotwire itinerary confirmation with the Penn Station. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you. Our customers are very important to us, and we would like to ensure you have the best possible experience."

So, based on this, I thought everything would be fine. I arrived at the Sunbrite Penn Station via taxi at 10:30 at night and buzzed the entrance for 20-25 minutes, pushing the "office" button. Nobody let me in. Finally a guest let me in and I asked where the reception desk was. He told me there was no reception (it was a short-term apartment rental complex) and that I had to call a local number for assistance.

I called the number and was told I had to go to 944 Washington Avenue to another hotel called the Chelsea Hotel to retrieve the key. Well, I had two heavy bags and it was a 7 block walk so I had to spend $7.00 out of my own pocket to get there. When I arrived, I was told there was no more room at the Sunbrite Penn Station and that they assigned me to another hotel called the Shelley Hotel, which was 5 blocks away and cost me another $5.00 in taxi fare.

When I got there, the hotel was nothing like the Sunbrite. The music was playing so loud that I couldn't even hear the receptionist. The rooms were not equipped with wi-fi, the room was slightly smaller than a closet and was not a studio, nor did it have the fully equipped kitchen or laundry I was expecting. Part of my trip here was for business so wi-fi was essential. To make it worse, they took my credit card to charge me a $15 resort fee (which is typical for many Miami Beach hotels).

Thankfully, after a few calls to Hotwire, they refunded me the original purchase for the Sunbrite and got me a slightly better than comparable hotel a few blocks away.

The first two days in Miami Beach were ruined because of a 'bait and switch' performed by this chain of 10 hotels which I later found operates under the name of South Beach Group (www.southbeachgroup.com).

In addition to this review, I have filed complaints with the Florida Better Business Bureau and the Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau for their highly unethical business practices as well as urging Hotwire to drop this chain as 'partner' hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Matthewfromct
Saugus, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

It was very spacious, great location, right near mansion night club, shuttle bus was free, very helpful, you need a code to enter which is awesome for privacy, I went there for memorial day weekend 5/28/2011, and was very impressive how neat and clean it looked, it look identical towards the pics but more beautiful and night, I highly recommend this place!!!! I loved it!!! But the beds could of been more bouncy, I like a soft bed, like as if I'm on a water bed, but this bed was okay, I was too busy partyn', to give it much thought but I just loved the area alot, near everything.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends