“Solid alternative”

Ranked #171 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Solid alternative”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had to book a trip to Miami for new year party on a very short notice and there were almost no brand hotels available between 30-70th streets on Collins Avenue where we needed to stay. Expedia also said there were rooms available but when we called Deauville directly there were a few rooms left. I was shocked after reading most people reviews and complains but we gave it a try and was not disappointed. The hotel is very old, you can see it in all public areas except pool area that has received new beach furniture lately. Keep in mind that some floors are not renovated opposed to others (we stayed on a fine one - 11th floor).
We paid $996 for 3 nights for standard king bed room with ocean view (booked 1 day in advance). What you get is a decent size room with pretty comfortable king bed, flat screen tv, small fridge, safe, iron/board, hair dryer, glass desk and chair. The bathroom looked well cleaned but seen a lot of use and that makes you don't want to spend too much time there. My guess is rooms differ greatly from each other, so keep changing until you're satisfied. Wireless internet is available in all areas free of charge.
We didn't use any of the service or spoke with any of the staff but the most reviewers are correct, in general staff in Miami is arrogant and not helpful. In particular the Bartender in hotel lobby barely spoke English and didn't know how to make Long Island iced tea. Keep in mind that the hotel is rather big and staff has a lot of rooms to take care of. Do not expect the level of service anywhere near you get in Marriott/Hyatt/other chains or small boutique hotels.
In summary this is an OK hotel to spend nights in Miami beach if better alternative is not available/affordable to you. I can tell that the hotel is worth $100-$200 per night but not more than that. Be aware of Miami hotel tax and $20 per day resort fee. The hotel has valet parking for $30 overnight. Hotel check in/out is 11am/4pm. They will store your bag for free until check in if you arrive early of for $5 per bag on checkout day.

Stayed December 2013
Mai B, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Thank you again for choosing the Deauville Beach Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hialeah, Florida
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The worst of the worst/ a 1 star would be too much. The room carpet smelled horrific, the curtains were stained, the closet was broken, the sink knobs were rusted, the tile grout had mold, and the curtains in shower were from a 1980 movie with dark yellow stains. The hall smelled like old mac and cheese. The only renovation they have done to the hotel is re-upholster the bed and buy pillows with a monogramed “D” on it. The customer service is that of a 3rd world country. Non of the staff members have the hospitality or the customer service skills you NEED to work at a hotel. Their attitude shows their disgust from having to work in such a retched place. They need to tear down the hotel and do a complete renovation and hire new staff after. Keep out! You’ve been warned.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Kitkat050878

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Booked months ago...Ocean Front, top dollar.
Requested high floor. Got 8th floor. Horrible bed, musty, no pics on walls.
2 star room at 4 star price.
Next morning, back sore from bed, looked at rooms that housekeeping were cleaning on floors 16, 15 and 14. Much nicer, renovated, pics on walls.
Requested new room but only offered as high as 12th floor, even after telling assistant manager I was looking to find a hotel to come to for several weeks on a regular basis.
Hotel not busy at all.
Checked a total of 6 rooms and finally found one with a comfortable bed, but still a 2 star room #1211.
Pool always dirty and bird feces in whirlpool, even 2 days after reporting this to assistant manager.
Whirlpool slightly warm with a couple of jets trying their best. Pretty well stagnant water. I would call it a large, Luke warm tub.
If they would guarantee a top floor room with a decent bed, I may consider returning if they fixed their whirlpool and cleaned it and the pool on a daily basis.

Room Tip: High floor but check bed first
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank abe1952
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My friends and I wanted to stay somewhere on the beach a few days before a Bahamas cruise. We decided on this hotel because the pictures seemed to depict a great beach and a nice looking pool. I read a lot of negative posts about this hotel and other older hotels in the Miami beach area so I was somewhat skeptical but decided to take a chance anyway. Most of the negative reviews seem to start with "rude staff." In my opinion Miami Beach has a lot of foreign visitors in itself and I've found that more so than any other place I travel, the people here are less than friendly. I didn't see any of that with the hotel staff however.
Nevertheless, we checked in a few hours early and our room was ready. The front desk staff seemed busy but weren't rude. They told us a little history about the hotel and surrounding area and gave us our keys and wristbands and we were on our way. You have to wear wristbands in order to have access to the beach chairs and pool area, and gym. There are guards at every entrance but really didn't check ours that often.
Upon leaving the front desk we ventured over to the elevators and like everyone has written about, there was one elevator working to service the entire hotel. I found the two service elevators by the snack machines and just used that exclusively, never waited more than a few seconds.
The room was nice, clean, and had a balcony that over looked the beach. Bathroom was average with adequate shower pressure. The only negative thing about the room was that the TV sits on glass desk and you could see the mass amounts of wiring that made up the internet, and TV connections. Plus our remote didn't work so we called the maintenance guy who fixed within a few hours.
The pool and Jacuzzi were huge, adequate enough for the size of the hotel. A D.J. played at the pool throughout the day playing different types of music but mostly Latin which was fine. The bar made pretty decent drinks but were quite overpriced for the amount of alcohol content. If you were on the beach ordering drinks, it took some time to actually get the drink. You'd be better off running to the pool bar. I wish the hotel would set up a mini bar at the beach. My ice would be melted by the time my drink got back to me using the bar staff. Not a big deal.
The gym had all the equipment you need to get a good workout. I don't think the staff there are tied to the hotel. They seemed pretty adamant about reminding you if you didn't re-rack your weights or left sweat on the equipment, they'd charge you $10. They didn't appear to happy to have hotel guest in the gym as I think it serves as Lessee to the hotel and is an actually gym to the community.
All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the hotel again. I think I got a little better value then what I paid and I was pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Use the service elevators located by the snack room if the lobby 'elevator' is slow.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank rebellion69
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My stay was unbelievably bad.

First I was sent to a room that was under construction. Then I was given a room that had no hot water in the shower.

I informed the front desk and they said they would send maintenance and fix it. When I showered the following morning there was still no hot water. I told the desk again and once again the said they would send maintenance. The next morning, no hot water again. At this point I was so busy with work that I just dealt with it.

When I brought this up at check out, the person who was "helping me" suggested that I was lying. When I insisted on speaking with a manager, they told me that she would be up in a couple mins. She ended up coming to the desk a half hour later. Finally she also suggested I was lying. At that point I had to relent because I was late in getting to the airport.

All I was hoping for was some small acknowledgement that not having any hot water in the shower was an inconvenience. Instead I was insulted by both the person at the checkout counter and the manager.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Eli11211
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Although a bit tired (excused, considering its age - built 1957) the hotel accommodation was good with very comfortable beds and everything kept clean. I was delighted with the view from the room as we were able to look over to downtown Miami on one side and the beach on the other. The location of the hotel is good with a few alternative places to eat close by. The close proximity of the hotel to the beach is excellent and the beach itself brilliant. We found it easy to get around on public buses which were close to the hotel. We had booked a basic room but were offered an upgraded room on arrival for $20 a night extra. At first I wasn't happy but it proved to be well worth it to benefit from the extra facilities, eg wifi, safe, fridge, beach beds and the view!

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kilbees
Cambridge, Ontario
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is a decent budget hotel and priced accordingly. Not fancy and not a dive either. It is an older property and some money has been put into upgrades (new flooring in hallways, lobby looks newer, furnishings are modern), but it is still rough around some edges. But not enough to turn us off. Many people review hotels forgetting to factor in the price of their stay versus the cost of staying at the Ritz for example. In other words, you get what you pay for! Don't expect Champagne on a beer budget!

We went during Art Basel, and we were pleased that despite being full, we had a good sleep every night. And it was not expensive to stay here either, during that premium week. The internet worked great in the room and at the pool. There is a nice biking/walking path behind the hotel along the ocean. We rented bikes one morning from the pay-as-you-go stand outside of Walgreens across the street. One hour is $6.

We also went in the ocean but got stung by jellyfish. Bummer. We loved the very large pool, which was not heated in November but still warm enough to swim in. (it was 80 to 85 outside when we were there). The hot tub does not have strong jets but it was working and the water was hot. And it's large in size.

Parking; we rented a car and opted to park on the street every night for free. (free from 6 pm to 8 am). In the morning we would plug in $4 for 2 more hours and be out of the hotel by 10 am to see Miami all day. It's super easy to get downtown by taking the major routes of Pine Tree Rd or Alton off of 63rd when you head south. Great alternative to using Collins. There is also a bank near the hotel, which was great for getting 2 rolls of quarters for parking meters, which you need to park all over Miami. If you don't park on the street, the lot across from the hotel is $30 per day. Or down the street near 65th is a city lot on the water side.

Resort fee; all of the beach hotels are charging this, and yeah it sucks but they are all doing it!

Tipping: BEWARE fellow travellers. Many restaurants in Miami add 18% automatic tip to your bill, so remember to review your bills!!! We got caught a couple times double tipping.

The breakfast buffet is $19 and looks decent but you can also eat cheaper across the street in a café.

Walgreens across the street; 24hours!! Very handy. Also a grocery and liquor store 1 block away.

This is not the kind of hotel that you stay in for days, hanging around the pool. This is a great hotel if you like to save money and don't want to pay the big bucks to stay downtown, but yet you also want to be on the water. So in the day, you explore the city. Come back to the hotel between 4 and 6 to rest. Go back downtown to eat and explore. Home again around 9 or 10. That is what we did and it was perfect for that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple