“great view,bad experience”

Deauville Beach Resort
Ranked #171 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 7 May 2014

house keeping stole about $5 of loose change i have been saving for a week, when i called housekeeping i asked them if they placed it somewhere else, not accusing them of stealing they said they would ask around and call back. They never called back and wouldnt answer my phone call. I went down to the front desk and they told me they were going to get the manager involved and he would contact me and they never did and housekeeping probably thought it was a tip. Really? in the middle of my stay i would tip someone in loose change without telling them? I let it go cause it was only a few bucks but i was pissed that even the front desk thought it was acceptable, if they take a few bucks from me that i left out in the open they would steal any amount from anyone and front desk thinks its acceptable. The only english speaking employees where the front desk, they charge $30 a night for parking and $20 for resort fee. Floor 12 is grey with no paintings or pictures on the walls, long hallway looks very dull and dark with original floors and carpets from the 50s. The rooms need to be updated and carpet stank, the ocean front balcony was the only thing i enjoyed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mai B, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Arafat I,

We will take your feedback into great consideration. We are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met. we are constantly making improvements on this landmark property. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests an enjoyable stay and providing a great value.

Thank you for choosing The Deauville Beach Resort.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have a good comparison experience because our friends were staying at ultra luxury Canyon Ranch next door, where we ended up using their pool,beach chairs and umbrellas.
We upgraded our Deauville room to 16th floor ocean view with balcony and our rate with taxes was $206.00· awesome deal killer view· 3 nights.
The Canyons would have been closer to $900.00/night.
Yes, the Deauville is noisy, thin walls, loud doors closing in the halls and partiers. But, there was an International Hustle and Salsa competition at the hotel over the weekend which made for great people watching and some fabulous music/dancing poolside during the day.
The location is excellent. Alot of stuff within walking distance, including Walgreens, Publix and an awesome yet $$ restaraunt called «Fifi» Brazillion Seafood. Close to South Beach, shops, coffee, bars etc...
The beach is unbeatable.
The room have been improved enough to be acceptable, but they wouldn`t replace face cloths, there weren`t many power outlets and they don`t have towel racks or hooks or soap dishes. But hey, this is Miami and lets stay in the moment.
I would stay here again because its old funky and funny plus a very good bargain with a kick but beach and location.
Definitely pay extra for full ocean view with balcony and you won`t be dissapointed. Plus have some rich friends staying at The Canyons next door so you can chill on their beautiful comfy chairs with their velvet towels.
The Deauvilles beach chairs are blue plastic and they covet their sandpaper towels as though they were just purchased at Bloomingdales.
If I could give it 3.5 I would.

Room Tip: 16th floor Looking due east Find out what event may be ongoing during your stay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear NAPLES39,

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you providing us valuable information regarding your guest experience. We will take your feedback into great consideration. We are constantly making improvements on this landmark property. We pride ourselves on delivering our guest an enjoyable stay and providing a great value.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the local dining and the charm of our beachfront resort.. One of the advantages to staying here at the Deauville Beach Resort is our central location and having the ocean as our backyard.

We would like the opportunity to have you as our guest in the near future as we are constantly making improvements on this landmark property. We pride ourselves on delivering our guest an enjoyable stay and providing a great value.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had read some of the reviews from this hotel and expected the worse but still booked because of the location. The pros certainly outweighed the few negatives but we will deal with the latter first. The room was a bit Spartan, limited closet space and hangers, had a clogging problem with the sink but it was fixed by the next day. Other than the desk staff most of the employees are Spanish speaking only so brush up on your Spanish. Be prepared for some hidden costs like a $20 daily resort fee and the hotel does not have independent parking so figure another $30 daily for garage parking across the street. However the location, location is great with South Beach only a few minutes drive and your right on Collins Ave./A1A so going north to Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale is so easy. The hotel is in an area with decent restaurants from low to high costs, Walgreens drug stores and Publix Supermarket across the street from hotel. The hotel has a nice fitness center downstairs which had Zumba classes going on when I used it. The pool area was very nice with great access to the beach which was nice and clean. Overall I would not pay top dollar to stay here, but if you can get a good deal it's well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lio B

Dear Lio B,

Thank you for posting your review.We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Zumba classes at our fitness center, the fact that we are located in the heart of Miami Beach and the charm of our beachfront resort.. One of the advantages to staying here at the Deauville Beach Resort is our central location and having the ocean as our backyard.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Based on the mixed reviews I knew no to have too high expectations. It was easy to find, right on the bus line. We arrived before the room was ready, so we left our luggage with the doorman (free service but leave a tip) and were given a temporary wristband which allowed access to the pool and beach, but not to lounge chairs. The room was clean, pretty spacious and had a nice "partial view" of the ocean, pool and downtown. I wish there was more storage available, we had to leave things on the floor while there were big empty spaces in the room. Same thing in the bathroom, a hook on the door for towels would have helped. The biggest issue with the room was the noise: the hallway echoes like crazy and you can hear everyone coming and going at night, so bring earplugs. We were able to use our electronic devices in the room without paying the extra fee for Wi-Fi, granted it was a little slow.
The pool is big and decent, and the beach is right across the path. The required $20 daily resort fee gives you access to 2 lounge chairs on the beach until they pack it all at 6 (but you can certainly stay on the beach with your towel or grab some last rays of sun by the pool.) The pool has some nice lounge areas but when we were there they were reserved for a "private party", even though we did not see anyone using them. The hot tub is nice and open to kids under supervision, but beware who is hanging out there: one afternoon there was a small group getting very drunk, even bringing their beers and a big bottle of vodka in the hot tub, and the staff circling the pool did not say a word to them, puzzling. We did not use the spa, the gym or the restaurant so I cannot rate those (but the restaurant was always empty.) Instead we went to the various restaurants near the hotel (Cuban, Brazilian, Japanese, Italian, American burgers...) and bought beverages and breakfast food at the big supermarket a block away and brought them to our room. The staff was always very courteous but unfortunately they did not take care of problems well: our toilet backed up twice during our stay and even though we called about it in the morning, it had not been fixed when we came back late afternoon and the maid, who happened to be cleaning our room at that time, had to call again about it. The second time it happened in the evening, so too late to fix it (or we'd wake up the kids) so it was pretty impractical in the morning as we had to go down to use the bathrooms by the lobby. When I mentioned this at check-out the employee gave me a comment form to fill and said I would be getting an email, but it has been 3 weeks now and not a word from them. So if you have a complaint ask to get results right away, do not fall for the "form" trap. So it comes down to this: a big hotel that shows signs of aging and could use some fixing up and general care, but great location right on the beach, a bus line to South Beach and with plenty of restaurants and stores within a block. If you are willing to accept the few hiccups likely to occur at the hotel, $150 is a good price for what you get in the end.

Room Tip: Our "partial ocean view" on the 8th floor on the South East side actually had a nice view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Avignon75
Mai B, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Avignon75,

I would like to thank you for your review and for choosing the Deauville Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time here with us in Miami Beach. We aim to create a wonderful guest experience for each guest of the Deauville Beach Resort. I agree the view from the room you stayed in is fantastic.

I am pleased to hear that the maintenance team addressed the clogged toilet. There may have been a line issue created by a blockage derived from another guest room. We appreciate your patience in that matter.`

We look forward to having you as our valued guest again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly during your next visit to our property. Thank you again for choosing The Deauville Beach Resort!

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Worst hotel shower in existence (room 1430). Either scalding or freezing, with a 90 second temperature lag. If this was not on the beach it would likely have hourly rates. Pool was disgusting by 5 pm - very dirty facility. Food trash left overnight at the pool was still there at noon the next day and crows were feeding on it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mai B, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear BQuinn5,

Thank you for taking time to offer us your review. We appreciate our guest's feedback during their in house experience as well as post stay. Every bit of information is a valuable to our training and daily operations programs.

I do regret that we were not notified of the issue with the shower during your stay. I would have gladly taking the time to view guest rooms that may have had a more effective shower head.

In regards tot he pool area we are dismayed to hear that this occurred during your visit. It is not customary, for our guests or staff of the beachfront pool and tiki bar area, to leave litter behind at any point of the day. We will take this under advisement to assure we never have that impression for future guests.

We thank you so very much for choosing the Deauville Beach Resort.

Warm Regards,

The Staff of the Deauville Beach Resort

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The rooms on the website look fabulous. The room in person looks like a run down motel 6. Our door looked like someone tried to kick it down. The shower head was rusted. The tub looked like someone was living in it because it had all these black stains. I would leave the room in the morning and come back around 5 and housekeeping hadn't arrived to provide towels or anything. Personnel in charge of reservation told us one thing but when we got to the hotel, the staff said something else and didn't honor our reservation properly. I understand every company has policies and procedures BUT if a guest is quoted incorrectly, it should not fall at the fault of the guest. After all the hussle and bustle they gave us a free bottle of water. :-/
Positives: the access to the beach, the access to the beach, the lobby is nice, it has a tiki bar that closes at 5. You get beach chairs that they take away at 5. You get an umbrella for $20 a day that they also take away at 5.
I'm not a negative person at all. I work in the customer service industry. I feel that it is ALWAYS important to give the customer the ultimate experience because you never know who you may come across- the owner or his/ her relatives, a mystery shopper, or anyone. Johnathon and Byron were VERY polite though.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Gruntgrunt87

Dear Gruntgrunt87,

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you providing us valuable information regarding your guest experience. We will take your feedback into great consideration. We are constantly making improvements on this landmark property.We pride ourselves on delivering our guest an enjoyable stay and providing a great value.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I was nickel and dimes to DEATH. $30 a day to park...wait WHAT???? And Why am I paying a $20/day resort fee for internet that does not work and for the use of towels they charge you $15 for if you don't return by 6pm. Granted the charges were reversed but I had to jump through unnecessary hoops. The front desk staff... Smh!!! One of them didn't know anything, one was quite efficient but they didn't teach him hospitality in hotel management class and then we have the guy that says no problem to everything before you get your sentence out and does it WRONG because he wasn't taking the time to understand your needs in the first place. Now housekeeping... Nothing wrong with an all Spanish speaking staff and I understand the clientele is predominantly Spanish speaking but I am not. However, I do try!!! I'm making gestures, pointing (all I wanted was a clean face cloth and towel). Had I seen where she got it from I would've just taken it but I was trying not to be rude. I called the front desk and Mr. No Problem was on top of "nothing". Ok. I'm going to stop now. I just wanted to go and relax I didn't want to fuss and fight and haggle or be haggled but it's what I got. So next time I'm going with my gut. If you don't mind that type of grind on your vacation by all means. It's in a decent area.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Imuhpoit

Dear Imuhpoit,

Thank you for posting your review! We appreciate you providing us valuable information regarding your guest experience. We will take your feedback into great consideration. We aim to provide excellent customer service and an enjoyable experiences for each our guest. We are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met and will use your feedback as a tool to improve our service.

Thank you for choosing The Deauville Beach Resort.