“Nice words, no actions”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #31 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

Amex platinum travel booked hotel for three (3) me, wife and child. Check-in staff said no rooms with two beds desite reservation. No help, no "sorry" just take it or leave it! The worst Martoitt (sorry "RITZ") in the world! Don't risk your vacation with this hotel. Try the new W only a few blocks away.

• Stayed: April 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,208)

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I love ritz carton hotel, but actually this time I had a bad experience the hotel not that clean as the Ritz carton should be. the front disk people might very good, but I received by bad one and I checked out by much worse than the one had received me. Definitely I wont go back to the ritz carlton in South beach. I will changed to go to Louis next to the Ritz and has a better summing pool and service.

Room Tip: You should to have a ocean front view to enjoy the beach sight seen
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nowaiser
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The place is great, if you want to feel like a star and spend the afternoon having brunch and hang out by the pool great. But the brunch is a little overpriced for what you get

1  Thank MrCaliAdvisor
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This property - right on the beach, at the origin of trendy Lincoln Road, is A Ritz in the fullest sense - excellent, personal service; high end furnishings, etc. The building is quirky - having been a reclamation of an older building; the pool area a bit small. The beach is beautiful but everything comes at a price - umbrella $20, a pair of lounge chairs in a prime location - a nice tip. And that brings me to my main issue - we constantly felt as if a tip was expected for almost everything. After a while, this can get tiring and somewhat offensive. At the price of a room, one would expect that you would be all "paid up". That being said, if you can afford the price of a room...and the tipping that follows, this is a true luxury South Beach experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I selected your hotel for its location, my past successful stays with the Ritz, and my new status as a Ritz Gold member.
1 - Our initial engagement with the hotel started off on the way to the hotel from the airport at 1045am. The operator was very nice but transferred us into the voice mail of a front desk agent. On our call back to speak with a live person we went to voice mail again. Our third attempt finally succeeded. The front desk was polite but had no record of my call and was surprisingly not helpful to accommodate after a long trip to visit. We decamped for lunch and came back to a new front desk agent at 1:30pm who was able to deliver the room for my in-laws. Our 2 rooms would not be ready until closer to 4pm.
2 – Room #1 - Thankfully at 3:30 the room was delivered and we gratefully moved our luggage our new rooms 912 and 914. The City view was unfortunately marred by a large horizontal concrete decorative element which blocked our view. The bigger issue was the carpet under the window which had several large nails sticking out from beneath the carpet. A front desk manager was called and after viewing the situation she promptly agreed to move us.
3 – Room #2 - Shortly thereafter we were moved to a new set of rooms which were not connecting. With 3 young daughters this was a non-starter. So we called back.
4 – Room #3 - Just before 530 we were finally moved to rooms 517 and 519. A wonderful view of a wall outside of our room but thankfully connecting rooms.
Other general feedback:
5 - As an aside I suggest you inspect the threadbare carpet on the way into room 517 and the dirty window coverings in room 519.
6 - Every evening the housekeeping would arrive for turn down service as we were planning to go out for dinner between 5pm and 6:3opm. The first night we asked for the housekeeper to return in 30 minutes her manager came running over and explained that she did not speak English and said they would be back. Shockingly no-one returned. The following evenings we had the same knocks and the same lost in translation moments (albeit without a translation as there was no supervisor) so we knew to call.
7 - On top of everything else The Valet crew took change out of the cup holder of the car.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank robertnewyork1
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Always a great place to stay in South Beach. Will likely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

When I stay at a Marriott, I expect a Marriott. When I stay at a Ritz, I expect a Ritz. South Beach Ritz lives up to it's standard through and through.

The hotel has a fantastic vibe and I attribute that to the energy and positive attitude of the team working there. I never once encountered a member of the staff that didn't have that Ritz team player attitude. From the very friendly and welcoming valets, the extremely accommodating front desk and concierge members to the restaurant servers and bartenders who are simply outstanding. One of the things that really impressed me the last two times we visited the property was how truly genuine the service staff was although they have a set gratuity. There is an 18% service charge on the check in the bars and restaurants which may initially bother some people but once they see how hard the staff works at keeping their guests happy, one may want to raise the gratuity as we often did.

I didn't make it out to the ocean, however , I spend a few days but the pool and I certainly left with the WOW effect. There are a couple Pool Concierges (Patrick and Boris- excellent) that will not let your Fiji or Mojito run low. Your shade will be engineered almost half hourly to keep the sun in your "happy zone." Fresh towels, help with dinner recommendations, the list is unlimited. These people are here to make your vacation an amazing experience.

I used the spa quite frequently. While I think they could use a little updating in the facility, it's still impeccably clean and very relaxing. Showers are large and clean, the loge area is a bit snug but very intimate (don't need a big room to wait 5 minutes for your therapist anyway), the lockers are on the small side but if you need more space, they are happy to accommodate you with a second locker or if you want something to be kept in the office, just ask. I had a massage and a pedicure. Very skilled therapists- the massage was excellent and the pedicure was amazing. The Spa Manager, Ericka, makes sure everything runs smoothly and she is clearly committed to making everyone's spa experience a true source of relaxation. She is excellent in recommending a therapist or a treatment. Ask for her if you need a little direction on what service is best for you. She is very friendly and hands on.

If there is a hiccup, you can count on this team to make it right. Although, quite frankly, it's a pretty flawless experience in my opinion. Nice rooms (due to be renovated this summer) with comfortable amenities and terrific housekeeping, CHECK. Great food: CHECK. Terrific team members always enthusiastic about making your vacation excellent: CHECK. Terrific Spa: Check.

Ritz Carlton always makes me happy. I come home a happier mom and wife. This one has my full attention... we will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple