“GREAT LOCATION AND SERVICE”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #31 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“GREAT LOCATION AND SERVICE”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We celebrated our 4th weeding anniversary at Ritz Carlton in South Beach, we stayed a whole week in a pool side suit, we loved the room (we were able to walk outside by the back of the room). The service can't be better, very friendly, polite, helpful and professional staff. The location of the hotel is walking distance from restaurants, stores and amenities at Lincoln Road. The hotel food is delicious, they have a breakfast buffet every day and brunch on Sundays, or around the pool you can order drinks, salad, chicken wings, wraps... but it is an expensive place. They do give you free water and you can make coffee in the room. We brought a cooler for to keep our drinks, as the room refrigerator is full of their drinks for people to buy them.

Room Tip: Pool side suits is very versatile.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hank C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The rooms are small and average. The showers and vanities are tiny. Overall, a completely average in room experience. But my biggest disappointment has been the service.

I travel almost every week but this was my first stay at a Ritz Carlton. I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member so I figured that in addition to getting Gold level service, I would get extra great service since this is a Ritz Carlton. I have been surprised at every turn by the less than helpful service.

Upon check in, I asked about the concierge lounge but was told that even though I was a Gold member, I could not have access to the lounge because Ritz Carlton's provide more in their lounge than a typical Marriott. So apparently my 50+ nights a year spent with Marriott don't qualify me for upgraded liquor??

I called the night before my check out date to ask for a late check out - which is typically granted to anyone who asks but is given to elite members usually without question. I was first told that I would have to call back the next day. Really?? You can't just mark me for late check out? Then I was told that they were very busy so the latest I would be able to check out (once I called back the next morning) was 12pm instead of 11am. Again, really??

Both of these requests are things that I get at every Marriott so I would certainly expect them from one of their top brands that is supposed to be all about great service.

The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is the location. That's it. And the hotels are all lined up on this strip. So pick another one that will treat you with great service. At these rates, the service should be great. And at this hotel, it is not.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Meredith H
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ritz has been synonymous with the highest quality experience possible in the world of hotel stays. As a regular guest of Ritz properties around the world, I had high expectations of they South Beach property but was disappointed in that it was overall, an average experience.

The great: rooms are very well appointed and roomy, most with excellent views of either the beach or the pool, the pool and beach amenities i.e. lounge chairs, service attentiveness were outstanding, the location off of Lincoln Road could not be better. Attitude of valet attendants, concierge, pool service and housekeeping was excellent (front desk, meh).

The not so great: the food and beverage program, particularly given the outrageous prices at breakfast, lunch and dinner, was underwhelming and really hurts this Ritz flag. While service for the most part was excellent, the quality of food was simply less than fair. So much so that my family spent more time off property eating at surrounding restaurants (concierge recommended some excellent places like Yardbird, Ola at Sanctuary - all outstanding) than on property. You expect that for local dinner but to be forced to explore other alternative even at breakfast and lunch, not so good. The miss on F&B was what dragged what should be a five star review down to four (and I am being generous). The food and my comments below about the beach amenities could/should have dropped this to a 3 star.

A few more points: the entrance to this Ritz property is pretty non descript and not dramatic, which is a surprise in the image is everything South Beach. While the lobby has a nice, well appointed design vibe, the entrance is Holiday Inn bare - no landscaping, no classy signage that says "welcome back to your first class home away from home". A little bizarre and way too spartan.

Last pet peeve about this property, at $500+ per room, you would think that the beach club would offer the umbrellas gratis but you are charged $25 per umbrella (we needed two since we had four lounge chairs). That was a shocker. They might as well be charging for towels too, which they thankfully did not.

So overall, probably better options for the price on South Beach. I hear the RItz property on Key Biscayne and Coconut Grove is superior but we really wanted to be on Miami Beach, We will not return to this hotel again. Disappointed given the power and potential of the brand. Again, good but underwhelming.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott R
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I have always used trip advisor before choosing a hotel. I've never taken the time before to write a review, however with this property I felt it would be necessary to share how pleased and surprised we were. We have stayed at other ritz properties in New York and the four seasons. the service at this hotel is unparalleled. Your treated like VIP from the moment you check in to the moment you leave. Many have critiqued this hotel for not being a true ritz Carlton however they could not be more wrong. The Staff made our stay much more enjoyable. when you make a restaurant reservation through the hotel, we have noticed that the service at the restaurant goes up a notch as well! The room were clean comfortable and quiet. Overall it was a memorable stay. My family and I are still talking about how great this hotel was. The food at bistro was really good as well. Try the dilido beach club as its a must.
I recommend this hotel to any one who wants to go to south beach and want the best of the best!!

Room Tip: "Pick rooms on the club level as there is a really good complementary breakfast and lunch"
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Location was great. Service is impeccable. Great for families and individuals alike. The proximity to the world-reknowned nightlife was a huge plus. Traditional Miami art-deco hotel. Great stay. I'm planning my return visit.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank globaljetsetter1980
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We for some reason got upgraded tot he South Beach suite (not complaining) upon checkin! The lady said its your lucky day and then told us we had got the upgraded room. What a view and a room!! Check-in was easy and everyone was very helpful and accommodating. We used beach facilities and had food at the restaurants all were good.

We came back a few days later and decided to stay there again! No upgrade butt he room was still amazing - very large bathroom. Everything you need.

Great location and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed in the Hotel having travelled down from Boston. What an oasis. This hotel is a fantastic property, service is second to none, the food is really 5 star( breakfast is just unreal ) and the location is cool. Excellent restaurants located locally especially try the Meat Factory a mere 100 yards from the hotel.

The level of service is just so good you are treated like royalty.

Cant wait to get back. Keep up the excellent work.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business