“I love The Ritz Carlton, South Beach”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #33 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Massachusetts
“I love The Ritz Carlton, South Beach”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I love The Ritz Carlton, South Beach.
It is located in the best spot on South Beach and is a wonderful place to stay.
That said, make certain that your room has a good view because some have poor views and others even over looking the air conditioners.
And, if you like the pool as much as I do, make certain to tip the staff and then your entire stay they will have a lounge chair ready for you.
It can get quite crowded.
It makes me happy every time I stay there and it is an easy walk up the beach to get anywhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynnesadams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I just stayed at the Ritz Carlton South Beach on a quick trip to Miami. Like all Ritzs, the staff is welcoming the second you arrive. The friendly desk staff kindly upgraded us to an ocean front suite. Our large room was well outfitted with amenities, and everything from the large TV, to large beds, were perfect quality. We fell in love with the pool side restaurant, which although seems like it will break the bank is well worth a visit. Everything was made by a true chef, and the filet mignon was one of the best I have ever had, the lamb rack is also savory.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I don't know why people who work the front desk at major hotels continue to think that lying to you or trying to smooth over a HUGE mistake with a poorly conceived yet rehearsed line would ever work with a savvy traveller. Once again..WHY ?
My girlfriend and I checked in at Midnight at the RC-South Beach. I had made the reservation on Magellan Vacations...and confirmed my late arrival a little while later with the Ritz Carlton itself. When we got there the very kind young man at the desk fumbled at his keyboard for no fewer than 20 minutes. He would excuse himself and go behind the magic curtain only to return with this gem..."I want you to know we have been saving this very special room for you all day. It's on the club level but we wont charge you the 300$ we normally would."
Immediately it occurred to me that we were getting really lucky or they gave away my original room which was an Ocean-view Executive Suite. Yes, it was the latter.
I went upstairs and while i appreciated club level i was not enamored with the room itself. Though, to be fair, the view was quite nice.
Still...just don't lie to me. Tell me the truth and i will appreciate you for it. Tell me you gave away my room and are trying to make it up to me by giving me something that you think is either the equivalent or just demonstrates the effort to make things right.
I would soon go downstairs and call him out for it..politely. He admitted it and i let it go. What was i going to do at 12:30am with my GF and friends wanting to go out and have fun.
Just the same, the service in the RC Club was outstanding and the offerings quite good. Our room was clean, though small, and generally fit the bill especially since it had an amazing view over the pool out to the Atlantic.
The doormen and valets were excellent. The pool staff great though the bartender might want to bend his wrist just a bit more when making a drink. For 19$ a cocktail id like to know there is vodka in my cup.
All in all we had a great stay. I thought the bathroom was a little odd with a partially covered water-closet. Also generally I prefer the hotels downtown because its less dingy but the fun to be had on south beach was memorable. Plus you're right on Lincoln Road where you can walk, eat, shop for hours and hours. Yes yes i will be back but please dont give my room away anymore...and if you do..just tell me.

Room Tip: Room 1040 has an amazing view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I just came for a one night stay for her birthday. When we got there we were greeted by Gustavo at the valet who was so friendly. We took car of everything we needed! We went to check in and talked to Keith who was very nice too and gave us a complimentary upgrade which put us on a balcony facing the beach. My wife was ecstatic because we had booked an interior room since we were on a budget. Then Mina, I think her name was , was also so friendly talking about my wife's birthday and sent up a bottle of champagne and a hand written birthday card! Never have seen that before! We got lost going to the pool and was helped by Paul who was super nice and walked us there so we wouldn't get lost.

Haven't been this impressed with service in a long time! My wife and I took to time to get everyone's name so they could get credit for their hard work!

We had an issue at checkout where we had a friend come visit us. His valet bill got put to our room even though he paid it already. Ismary at the front desk was so nice and explained what happened and fixed it right away! Usually other places give you the 10th degree when you complain about something.

Before coming here I read some of the bad reviews and was worried, but I'm telling everyone this was definitely worth it!!

Just a few things.... Drinks were very expensive, I didn't know that 3 mixed drinks were going to cost me 60 dollars. So watch out for that. I here it's the norm in south beach so just caution.

The hotel is right on Lincoln mall so easy access to beach and mall.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ricelovr
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I just got back from a 5 day business trip where we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on South Beach. Like a proud peacock strutting his stuff, the famous R-C service was on full display here, and everyone from the valet to the housekeeper was helpful and accommodating all the time. The concierge was exceptional, and he had made me dinner reservations at a fabulous restaurant within easy walking distance of the hotel before I even knew what he was doing.

Another example of the incredible service: I was walking up to the bar to order a drink and was planning to stand for a few minutes and watch the soccer game as there were no chairs available. Before I had a chance to look around for a chair, someone had carried one over to me and set it down behind me, and I never even saw the guy who did it. Simply spectacular.

The beach was amazing, but IMO the complimentary lounges should come with a complimentary umbrella, as there is obviously no shade on the beach. The wait staff was fast and efficient, and polite to the max.

We ate lunch in one of the banquet rooms every day, (the one we were in used to be the main entrance/lobby of the hotel and had amazing glass decorations on the walls, doors and stair rails) and were presented with several salad choices, a chicken, and a fish option at each meal. All were equally tasty, but the homemade buttermilk ranch salad dressing stood out and was top notch.

The breakfast buffet was overflowing with fresh, ripe fruits and tasty breads and pastries. The scrambled eggs were acceptable, and there were crisp slices of bacon which are rare on a buffet.

For lunch one day we ate at the inside pool bar and the grilled chicken Caesar salad was light, fresh, and delicious, and the chicken was even warm.

A few annoyances:

I had to constantly sign into the wireless internet, either on my tablet, my laptop, or my smartphone. I know this is commonplace, but many other hotels do not have this requirement. I should be able to sign in once and be done for the duration of my stay. R-C also subs out their tech support, so if you do have a problem and call, you are not talking to someone in the hotel.

The hand-held shower in my room was simply inadequate. It was weak and barely had sufficient flow for the job it was designed for. After a long day of meetings and sitting in an uncomfortable chair, this was inexcusable.

There was no towel bar on the wall next to the shower. I fail to understand why this is so rare. It seems like common sense to me.

Also, if hotels are so concerned about saving the planet by washing fewer towels, why did they not leave the wet towel I hung up to be reused? I mean, it was nice using a fresh towel every morning, but it seems difficult to conserve resources that way. It's good to actually do what your little signs say you are going to do.

The dented car. Yeah, that really sucked. Granted it was a rental, but still, if it had been my own car, I would have been very upset. However, the valet manager was very quick to hear my complaint and write up an incident report (with no admission of guilt or innocence) and send me on my way. He was very apologetic and handled the situation quickly and professionally. Again - top marks to the R-C for their service. They took a bad situation and handled it perfectly. And there were two bottles of water in my cupholders when we finally got in the vehicle to leave.

I was shocked that they allowed small pets at this hotel - totally did not see that coming. Perhaps that explained the wet spots in the carpet next to the nightstands on either side of the king size bed, as the carpet in my room had been freshly cleaned.

Overall, a nice stay in a legendary hotel. Mostly ups, a handful of downs, but not much to really complain about. If South Beach is your scene, and you have the bankroll for it, enjoy the legendary Ritz-Carlton service and hospitality, but get out and sample the local cuisine and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OWearyTraveler000
Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Like aways, I traveled with my brother and sister. We got there during the early days of June. We were greeted by the lovely bellman whose name I can't remember. The lobby has this modern looking wall which we really liked. The reception area is a bit small but it was nice nevertheless. Our room faced an abominable direction which made us puke almost every morning. The pool area is nice; it's quite big and faces the beach. So if you're lucky you can catch the sun rises right from your room every morning! If you want nice spots near the pool you have to wake up early in the morning and hold your spot. You can order food and eat it near the pool. If you truly want to swim do it in the morning because the pool's ALWAYS filled during lunch time. Food is not the hotel's best attribute. Maybe our taste buds were off because the food did not taste good. The staff were outstanding. We met some great people that took care of us. Sadly I can't remember the names.

Overall it was an awesome trip. My expectations were met. I had great time at the Ritz. If I ever come back to South Beach I will definitely be spending my time at the Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and get the rooms that face the beach direction. You won't regret that...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Unless you make the internal VIP list the service at the concierge, valet parking is very average.
The pool is a great advantage, super service. The music is for the scene. Rooms are very small, basic but functional furnished. Some extra lightening would be great in the bathroom. Was reading the previous reviews and agree that some of them might be tuned.

Room Tip: The music can be rather loud, so make sure your room is not to close the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kevin K, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear 101Esperanza,

Thank you for your valued feedback on the recent stay with us at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach. I’m glad you enjoyed the personal service and facilities at our infinity pool overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

I’m sorry to hear you found our concierge and valet service to be merely average, however. The Ritz-Carlton takes great pride in the level of service we provide and I hope you let us stay with you again to experience the standards of excellence we’re renowned for.

Kevin Kelly