“Mixed reviews”

Ranked #124 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nice hotel but very tired. Watch out for hidden expenses. 18% gratuity added to every bill, even if the service is not very good. Probably the reason why the service is not very good at times. Staff around the pool were great, reception staff not so helpful. Walls in rooms are extremely thin and therefore very noisy. AC fan sounded like a hurricane when switched on. A real 50/50 review which matches my 50/50 stay. Don't think I will be staying here again! and afraid I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an 'ocean view' otherwise you will be looking out over badly maintaine...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

No bad things only good words to express my second staying here! All perfect services and all the people very polite and worried with theirs customers good staying. Everythig clean and so much confortable. Me and my boyfriend came last year and here we are again. I do recomend!

1 Thank Aandrealeticia
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2013

First of all this trip was a birthday gift so I was excited to begin with. We got to the hotel in the afternoon and the check in process is amazing. The valets were so helpful and courteous. The bellman that helped us to our room was also very courteous and his information was very valuable. We dined in the restaurant overlooking the pool. That experience was not the best but I am hoping with the new management this will change. I had ordered soup and had to send it back as it was tepid, and quite a bit later it came back and it was still tepid. It would have been so delicious had it been hot. My boyfriends chicken on his Cesar salad was very bland. Yes food at the restaurants in this hotel is a bit expensive but no worse than any others in the area. The breakfast buffet is wonderful but spendy.

I can't say enough for the staff. They were always willing to help and were very attentive from the housekeeping staff to the front desk to the beach attendant.

I also want to thank management for the bottle of wine and cheese tray that they sent up for my birthday. They definitely made my day.

I would encourage management to upgrade their refrigerators and to get microwaves and purchase carts to keep them on so they will last. I myself would be willing to pay extra for this.

I loved the hotel decor, please don't change it. I really love the retro look.

Also, I enjoyed shopping at both the gift shops. Very memorable gifts and a good amount of necessities.

The spa was an amazing experience. I would recommend the hot rock massage to anyone. I also got a mani/pedi and it was definitely reasonable.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone of my friends and family. If you want to nit pick about anything please go elsewhere.

1 Thank Debra M
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Hotel seemed ok upon arrival in December 2012. I was given a standard double room, supposedly for single occupancy. What I didn't know was that I would actually be sharing my room, with bed bugs! Ugh! The next morning I spotted a small black thing on the bed. I squashed it and out poured blood ... my blood. I called housekeeping and asked if this was a bed bug. I'd never seen one before and didn't know what they looked like. The awful truth was confirmed. Others were found on furniture.

Luckily I hadn't unpacked since disembarking my cruise liner so my case was still on top of the metal suitcase stand and, therefore, it wasn't likely any bugs had made their way into my clothes. No, they preferred to snuggle up next to me in bed and bite my arms and shoulders. One also bit my leg.

The hotel changed moved me to another room, tumbled some of my clothes in heat to kill any strays and gave me a free meal. If I'd know the torture of the next couple of months I'd have demanded more.

The bites were incredibly itchy but the one on my lower leg turned into an ulcer. Once back in the UK I had to take strong anti-biotics and have the ulcer cleaned out and re-dressed twice a week for two months. I couldn't bathe (had to shower carefully) or swim all that time and I now have a dark scar, the size of a ten pence piece, on my leg. Not the souvenir of my trip I would have chosen. How I wish I had flown straight home after my cruise.

The hotel should have told me what to expect from the bites and not just let me find out for myself.

Apart from that, I agree with the comments of others. The tall tower blocks next door create unwanted shade on the hotel's pool area and beach and the hotel is miles from any other facilities, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank The-Surrey-Advisor
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
To all Trip Advisor readers,

The Miami Beach Resort and Spa takes allegations of bed bugs very seriously. We continuously and professionally inspect our hotel as well as provide continuous proactive preventative treatments. The guest rooms at Miami Beach Resort and Spa are regularly tested and were found to be negative for bed bugs.

Should you have any questions regarding our hotel policies and procedures, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at Eduardo.Moya@MBeachResort.com

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed here the night of Saturday, May 18, 2013, as the last leg of our honeymoon.

This place is a mix of really good and needs some work. The good:

1) The staff. Everyone we dealt with was courteous and professional, and seemed to be empowered to do whatever necessary to make the customer happy. For example, we were able to check in three hours early.

2) The food. Everything we ate was wonderful. We ate at the Bistro for dinner and at the HIbiscus for brunch. The brunch was standard, with eggs, waffles, bacon, etc. and a make your own omlette station where a chef would make your omlettes and waffles.

3) The location. This resort is in Miami Beach, but way up on the strip past the main "strip" of the art deco district, if you will. This meant the resort was nice and quiet. The resort has beach access, where I think you can rent water sport equipment? A bar by the pool, a pool, a hot tub, a spa and a gym. This would be a good resort for families with kids, because even though the place was really busy, it was still pretty quiet, and you wouldn't have to worry about a whole bunch of dumb and drunk tourists around your kids.

4) The price. I think we paid about $180 and got our room with a King sized bed and brunch for two the next morning. Parking was $28 with in and out privileges, and believe me, you do not want to try to find parking on Miami Beach. And I thought Chicago was bad to park in!

Here's the downside:

There is a fine line between vintage and old, and this place is starting to tip the scale the wrong way. The lobbies look great, the bistro was lovely. But the Hibiscus restaraunt where brunch was is showing its age, with dirty and old ceiling tiles, and a decorative scheme that is just old.

Additionally, the pool, while well kept, still has a pretty unattractive pvc tube feeding water into the pool, there has to be more energy efficient ways to maintain the pool.

The guest rooms - Our room was a nice size, and they kept the vintage closets (probably because the doors have a really awesome vintage design to them and may be original to the property). However the bathrooms just need to be gutted and re-done. I know there are places that could do this and still keep the aesthetic the resort seems to be looking for. The HVAC looks to be about 30 years old and that cannot be very environmentally friendly either. Also, with the old fashioned decor and the old bathrooms, the place ended up feeling like my grandmother's guest bedroom. Also, the pillows were way too squishy, but the mattress was comfy!

In short, we really did enjoy our experience at this resort, and would most definitely stay there again, but HIGHLY suggest this place get moving on some remodeling.

ny
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I read the reviews after booking this hotel and wanted to cancel. It was close to my departure and I didn't have many choices so I reluctantly kept it. The location of the hotel was great-right next door to the Fontainebleau and Eden Roc. The pool leads onto the beach and was delightful. Twice a day, they handed out cool facecloths and fruit. Don't forget to stop by the pool bar where Ramon makes a mean mojito.The staff was very friendly and I can't remember when I remembered the names of so many staff members.
There was no safe in the room but Jessica and Jane made sure I didn't wait on the check out line so I had easy access. I lost my phone and Luis ran down to my car and found it!!
Ron Boutie always had a nice greeting and would recommend places for dinner..
The furniture was very dated, but the room was huge and kept very clean. If we were staying up the street, we would have paid twice as much so the furniture didn't look so bad. The other guests had the same experience and we were all glad we didn't cancel our bookings.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view!
Reviewed 19 May 2013

At first i was skeptical about this place bc of some reviews i've read. So, i didnt have high expectations at all. What a mistake !!!!! I really dont understant why all the complaints from others. The moment I.step in the hotel,to the moment i left, all i can.remember is excelent quality and service !!!!
We did a very late check in, the front desk was so nice,fast and attentious ! Never had to wait for a cab. The location is perfectly chic,far from that south beach mess and cheesyness. The facilities are super clean and perfect ! Yes,it is an old hotel,but very well kept. A lot of the hotel in Miami are like that, thats the style !!!!!! My room was updated to a king size bed, and the view,ahhh the view !! Both the bay and the ocean ! And it wasnt a front ocean view ! The pool are was super neat and clean. The restaurant staff was super attentious and friendly. Food was great and affordable (im from NY,where everything is overcharged) . The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble,and new.
I only have great things.to say !!!!

• Stayed May 2013