“Not a bad stay ”

Ranked #63 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not a bad stay ”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

After extending my stay in South Beach I checked into this hotel after being unhappy with my previous choice. The location is great with all the major retail stores just outside and a five minute walk to Ocean Drive. The room's size was very spacious and the decor interesting. I was on the third floor so never had any noise issues, but remember there is a bar downstairs and as I said before your sleeping right in the centre of south beach so keep an open mind.

I managed to try the food a few times, just simple good food. I do however have to agree with the other reviewers when it came down to the housekeeping. They just seemed to come and tidy whenever and whatever time they felt like it. This sometimes turned out to be never.

I'm familiar with hotels taking a hold on guests cards to secure the booking. Yet the fact that they fully charge your card before you even arrive to the hotel is very strange and the way they go about informing you of this when you do check in is a little bit sneaky.. 'Oh by the way we won't be needing your card because we've already charged it fully. Surprise!' Pretty much the way it went down.

Other than that great price and a good stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello there PalmTreeChasing,

We value all of our guests feedback! Thank you for sharing yours with us, and all of our future guests! The location of Whitelaw is prime, and you can't beat it! Stores, bars, restaurants, clubs, etc all within walking distance. All reservations are charged 3 days prior to your arrival. It clearly states this on our site, and all third party sites as well. I am sorry that you were not aware of that.

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Slovak first
Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Whitelaw hotel is very good hotel located in south beach, Miami beach. Very good location, close to the beach night clubs, restaurants, bars etc. The hotel is very comfortable and the personnel are very nice, bellboy Jose Luis is very nice and helpful, Moran the bartender is very nice and Nicolas the front desk as well. I spent a really great time there I recommend it.

Room Tip: Just try to get second or third floor rooms because every night at lobby they have party and music.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GerardoMari_
There is nothing that we love to read more then a lovely 5 star review GerardoMari_!!!! We are glad to know that your time spent here was such a great one! We are located in the heart of South Beach, just blocks from all the hottest spots. I will make sure to share your praise with all mentioned staff! Please come back again soon!

Plano, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Travel Agent from Dallas, visiting SOBE for the 1st time - I was delighted with the hotel - staff - and amenities. Everyone will have their own opinions I was leery too at first after reading so many different opinions on this hotel but everyone will always find something wrong. I stayed at the hotel Wed - Sat and never had a problem with noise, music, etc. BUT I was on the 3rd floor so I can not verify what 1st and 2nd floor occupants hear or don't hear. We did not have water issues from the shower onto bathroom floor because our shower also included a shower curtain. Also, payment before hand is not a big deal - Vegas and other top touristy areas do this too. This hotel will not make or break your vacation - you don't go on vacation to spend time in your room anyways! I found this boutique hotel charming - rooms are very small but it gives the room ambiance!

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor away from elevators
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Irene R
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you Irene R, for taking your time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to read that your time spent with us was such a great one! From the staff, to the amenities that we offer. We would love to welcome you back, for another memorable time!

Atlanta
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The WhiteLaw hotel is an absolute joke. I planned a trip to Miami for my mother's 50th birthday and booked the WhiteLaw as our lodging option. Never. Again.
Upon arrival, the front desk charged my mom's Amex the full price of booking plus an additional $100 as a deposit for any occurring room damages. I've never stayed at a hotel who charges you before check-out. Also, the front desk clerk told us that the deposit for securing our reservations didn't process and that we had to be charged again! I told him that we received an email letting me know that the amount was credited and that we had also received a confirmation number. The guy up front was clueless and couldn't get around to giving me or my mother a straight enough answer for the repeat charge. This was only the beginning.
Things went from bad to worse. The hotel's staff is is a complete joke. Our room was only cleaned ONCE for the entire 5 night stay and fresh towels were few and far between. The maid service was constantly knocking on the doors for the most minute things. This grew to be very annoying, as most of us are generally accustomed to hotel services early on in the day (the maids always came well after 3pm).
Let's move on to the ridicous amount of water that still managed to cover the entire bathroom floor while taking a shower. The toilet you had to flush twice to get waste to go down and the CONSTANT MUSIC playing in the lobby until 4am, EVERY MORNING. I understand that this is a 20-something hotel (I'm 27) but I expected to get SOME sleep. I wish the website would have been more detailed in the description on the amount of noise that takes place here. I get that this isn't a place for families to stay, but don't they expect their guest who are paying upwards of $800 to get any rest?
All in all, our experience was terrible and I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Please book a more professional hotel when visiting South Beach. I promise, you'll be better off.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank SavvyTraveler87
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Good Afternoon SavvyTraveler87,

We value each and every one of our guests feedback! Thank you for sharing it with us! We are terribly sorry that you did not have an outstanding time here at Whitelaw Hotel! We do take a $100 hold for incidentals when you check in. This hold is released as soon as you check out, so long as there are no damages done to the room. It clearly states this on our site, and all of our third party sites as well. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable environment. It pains us to read that is not what you were given! I will make sure that our Director of Housekeeping is aware of this. We are a party hotel, so the excess noise is something to be expected. Once again we apologize that Whitelaw Hotel was not the hotel for you.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I just stayed there this weekend and had a bad experience. Yes, it has a great location but the service is horrible. To begin with the valet parking is in another street, when i got out of the car to ask they weren't helpful to tell me where we can valet the car (good thing because we got street parking, much cheaper than the $32 dollars a night). My friend dropped me off the hotel with all the bags so she can go park, I asked several times for help to take the bags into the hotel (waited over 10 mins to get helped).Our room was in the first floor (it was horrible) the music wasn't bed to go to sleep but girls where always screaming and fighting in the middle of the night. After checking in and already not too happy with their service, we went up to the front desk and asked them what floor is the pool/ roof top? The lady with the biggest attitude was like we don't have a pool and the roof top closes at 5. We jumped in the elevator went to the 3rd Floor to see the roof top ( it was not closed) and it was tiny , nothing like the pictures. The next day after being out all day at the beach I went to the room and they hadn't cleaned or given us new towels, when i went to the front desk he was like "well, did you ask for room service" I told him in a normal hotel they provide room service without the customer asking.

Overall, not a good experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Alicia T
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for a weekend and it was awesome! Location, price, and service were just perfect. It became our number 1 option whenever we are going to South Beach. I highly recommend this hotel but not as a family option, just be aware that it gets a little loud in the lobby

• Stayed August 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Adriana D!! It seems like you had such a lovely time staying with us! From the location, to the price, and the service that we provided you with. It does tend to get a bit noisy here. It clearly states this on our website, as we are a party hotel. We hope to host your next stay at Whitelaw!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed her for the 4th of July weekend, and had an awesome time, the hotel was very clean, and the staff was awesome from the valet to the bartenders! I must say the valet was fast at delivering my car when needed. Considering the valet is working 3 hotels. Everyone at the Chelsea made sure my stay was amazing! I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family whenever they visit miami! It's located close to everything on Southbeach so have your walking shoes ready!

Room Tip: They have a happy hour that is free with great music and a hookah selection, that's if you don...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nakeisha C
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Nakeisha C, this is one of my favorite reviews ever! Thank you so much for the five stars and the fantastic shout out to our team! You are absolutely right – they know everything there is to know about South Beach and will show you a Kanye-good time. Please let us know when you will be back and we will be sure to roll out our red carpet once again. See you soon!