“Not What I Expected From Photos or Reviews”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #36 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not What I Expected From Photos or Reviews”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place really missed in terms of our expectations.

The Good: The location is really great if you want to experience South Beach. It is right on the beach and you can walk through the pool area and step onto the sand. It is also just across the street from the strip of clubs and restaurants which was very convenient.

The Average: The pictures really didn't do justice for the room that we got. I was expecting something clean and contemporary. It was really much more dated and showed its age. I know that they embrace the 1950's style ambiance that is common to the area, which is fine, but it didn't match with the expectations set up online. I did ask to try a different room, but was declined. It happens.

The Poor: Please note our visit was in January. We found that the pool area was closed for renovations and the area was littered with equipment. That detracted from the courtyard area significantly, and although maintenance happens, it was clear that this wasn't an unforseen problem and I would have appreciated notice that the pool was going to be closed during our stay. Luckily the beach was nearby. Unfortunately, you are charged an unavoidable fee to use the beach equipment (towels and chairs). I thought the fee was a little high for what you got out of it (and the pool was closed). The valet parking was a bit of a disaster as well. We were told by the front desk to pay them, but the guy at the valet stand also demanded payment. Apparently it is a contracted company. The issue between the hotel and the valet caused some running back and forth to the lobby and some arguing we witnessed. It got resolved alright, but it wasn't pleasant. Further, this was about the only thing that the staff was passionate about helping with. Anything else felt like we were bothersome.

This place received a lot of good reviews, and I'm glad others had a good experience. I did not, and I won't return. At $300 a night before the extra fees I think it's fair to want a room that feels clean, access to the promised amenities, and some friendliness from the staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank benny3345
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear benny3345,

Thank you sincerely for sharing your feedback with us. Comments such as yours enable us to constantly improve our product and service.

We are very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. That certainly is not representative of our property, and for that we apologize.

Your comments are being reviewed by our entire management team and we will take the necessary follow-up and precautions.

I would love to invite you back to experience the real Savoy Hotel once again! It would be my pleasure to offer you a discounted rate and I will personally handle your reservations.

I look very forward to hearing from you once again!

Yours in Hospitality,
Francine - Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Everything about this hotel was off the charts great! Staff was so accommodating and so helpful, hotel was extremely clean, beds comfortable & pool was great! We will return again and again! Thank you for an amazing experience!

• Stayed June 2014
Brainerd, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We chose to come back to the savoy for our summer vacation. Once again we were very pleased with how clean the hotel was and how friendly and accommodating the staff were. We can't get enough of the Savoy. We will continue to come back to what we like to call our "little piece of paradise" in South Beach Miami!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Leicester
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed in Miami at the end of a big USA trip to mark a special birthday and anniversary and wanted to just relax at this stage.The hotel was booked through Trailfinders company in the UK who confirmed that their other customers had been very happy with it.
Everything was just perfect for us. The staff were always polite, friendly and helpful. There are a range of rooms and ours was described as a standard suite - it was in fact 4 rooms- a large sitting room with sofas and flat screen TV joining a small kitchen area with microwave, crockery, coffee maker and fridge. There were large cupboard areas with ironing board etc. There was also a dining table and 4 chairs. Through there, you reached the very large bedroom with the biggest bed I have ever seen, which was very comfortable.That room also had a very large TV. Off the bedroom was a huge dressing room with hanging and storage areas where the aircon was also kept. Then a bathroom with separate air filter, large , modern shower area, basin , drying area. The rooms also had ceiling fans so you could control the temp to your liking which was necessary as it was extremely hot. We did not have a balcony nor an attractive view. Initially I was disappointed but then realised that there is such a wide choice of seating areas outside a few steps away, it really wasn't needed. We were in room 206. The lift worked well but there was also a stairwell next to our room which worked out speedier. We never heard any noise at all from anywhere whilst in our room.
The 2 pools were great and usually you could swim alone- no hordes of kids jumping on you! There is a short pathway onto a private area of beach and you are given loungers, towels , a sunshade etc. The restaurant staff come down to the beach regularly and take orders for drinks or snacks.There is iced water and copious amounts of towels available around the pool and we were never short of choices of sitting- loungers, wicker relaxers, comfy sofas , shade or sun available. The pool staff keep it all immaculate.There are complimentary newspapers too. The sea is very warm and shallow for a long distance so great for kids and there are life guards. One pool is shallow and the other reaches 9' at the deep end.
Our deal included continental breakfast - bowl of fresh fruit, yoghurt, toast, croissant, pastry, cold meat and orange juice. We had taken a travel kettle as being Brits we need our tea! Our bed had chocolates left on it very day after making up by staff - a nice touch. We also lunched a couple of times and as other reviewers have mentioned, the fish tacos are brilliant! Thank God I do eat fish although not meat as there was virtually nothing available in any restaurants we visited for vegetarians, even pasta etc always had meat.
I don't think you would visit Miami for the arts and culture especially , more for relaxing. We did do the Hop On Hop Off bus, which was pretty dire- the guide was dreadful and just wanted to chat up the younger girls. There was nowhere really to get off other than shops. If you want to shop and like clothes, Lincoln Mall was the best and had some lovely street cafes too. Ocean Drive, further along has a wealth of bars and restaurants and you can while away hours just people watching- they got wilder and wackier at the weekend.
The Savoy and neighbouring buildings are beautiful Art Deco structures which are very attractive in the sunshine with the palms outside and especially after a daiquiri or two!

On our last day, our flight was not until the night and we vacated the room by 12 and were able to store our luggage, stay around the pool and shower in the gym area before leaving which was very much appreciated.
I cannot think of anything negative to say! Just go there!

Room Tip: If things like balconies, views , etc are important to you, clarify what you will be getting when yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreyladyLeicester
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Ocean Drive is a strange place Dr. Jekyll in the morning, Mr. Hyde in the evening. We hated it in the evening with the hustle and bustle and the hordes of reality star wannabes (although for a while it is great if you want to practice the Noble Art of People Watching). But in the morning when the night owls were (un)sound asleep we loved to stroll on the beach side of the Drive from where the many wonderful Art Deco buildings come to their right. And yes, still the young ladies in front of the breakfast restaurants do their utmost to catch you in. But they are amateurs. If you want to experience real aggressive decoys you should go the the bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey or the souk in Marrakech, Morocco. They are pro's.
When the fuzz gets to much (and believe me it does) we fortunately had checked in at The Savoy Hotel on the same Ocean Drive. What a difference. From the noisy hell to the quiet heaven.
We were extremely lucky but the luck "follows the fools" as we say in this part of the world. Our room with view to the pool area was not only huge, it's was immense. I had to measure it: 80 sq. meters i.e. 860 sq. feet. So lucky us.Furthermore we very much enjoyed the not overcrowded pool, the hotel sunchairs at the beach, the discret service of the polite and helpful staff, the tasteful breakfast. Nothing to complain about? No. We liked the Savoy Hotel and it felt like the Savoy Hotel liked us. Happy ending.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ulpa_10
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and the on-line price we got was decent for South Beach- $249 per nt. There were 2 great pools with lounge chairs and lounging beds; cocktail and food service. The beach was amazing and towels and chairs were readily available. The room was clean and basic. The fridge and coffee maker were nice to have. Our room faced the street which was fine.

The girl who checked us in was clueless and knew virtually nothing about the hotel or the restaurant or standard check in procedures. We arrived at noon and the room was not available when we returned at 4PM the room was still not ready so we changed into bathing suits and hung out by the pool. Finally the room was ready at 6:20PM.

The hotel restaurant has really good food at reasonable prices. The fish tacos were excellent. The exterior of the building is in need of some repairs and I hope the owners replace the rotting wood trim and do the necessary touch up painting. One of the elevators was out of service the entire length of our stay but a sign was never posted so people stood waiting until someone walking by would alert them. We walked to tons of places and really liked the location.

A few minor improvements in staffing and exterior maintenance would merit this property an excellent ranking. We would stay here in the future for the right price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have to say I have never wrote a review on a place good or bad, but I had to take the time here!!! I have stayed at The Diplomat and other big chain hotels over the last 6 mos. in Fla. and this time down I wanted to stay in South Beach. I was given a list of hotels and checked into 3-4 places. I booked online and from the moment I got there till I left I cannot say enough goods things about this hotel from my room to the staff, location and Pool and the way I was treated!!..Even the pool guy handing out towels was nice enough to tell me his name, ask me if I ever needed anything while there to plz ask him for help!!...The guys at the front desk day/night were polite, helpful and actually cared if I was happy with my stay!!...You don't get this kinda personalized service from many hotels at all nowadays!!!.....I was very happy with 1 bedroom room with kitchen and also balcony looking over the street, it was nice to not be confined to 1 single room all weekend!!...The location was perfect if anyone wants to be right near all the crowds but far enough away to be able to sleep...And just the overall experience made my mind up that if im in south beach there is NO OTHER place to stay and have the whole trip be perfect!!!....Some other hotels in the area could learn a lot from this place, and I was most taken by feeling like there wasn't anything that they wouldn't do ( within reason) to make your stay perfect!!!.....I overall would rate 5 stars on everything and being a older hotel its not the most modern but so well kept up you really enjoy the place....I decided to write this 1st review because I feel for the 1st time they deserved it and earned it!!!...I look forward to my next stay there when I come down next winter, and I will certainly recommend to others if I can!!....I didn't get a chance to eat at restaurant but I will next time and I have to say the pool area is amazing with a path right to the ocean!!

Room Tip: You can have a room with balcony looking over the street the pool or right out over the ocean which...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo