“Excellent for the money”

Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach
Ranked #92 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room already renovated are great. Walking distance from the Old Deco district . The pool is great. This is 4th time in Miami Beach and this hotel is much better than ones 50% more expensive. Great service at reception.

Room Tip: Rooms already renovated.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,071)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family and I stayed here after our cruise. We wanted a day to just relax and found it here. They helped us with an early check in and also with an early check out (around 5am). They arranged a cab for us to the airport which was great. The staff was very friendly. The buffet breakfast was very good. My kids ordered pizza from the snack bar at lunch. I have to say it was good. The pool area was nice and the beach was great. My kids loved it! There is a sand bar at the beach which allows the little ones to get pretty far out. Also great for footballs or Frisbees. Older gentleman selling coconuts on the boardwalk was cool. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to stay at a hotel on the beach and not pay a ridiculous price. Great job Riu!

Room Tip: I asked for a oceanfront on the renovated side.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visited the Riu for the 3rd time with the family. As announced, restructuring work was done, and we managed to get 2 rooms not too close to the work. New rooms are fine, although one directly enters into the 'bathroom'. Service of the staff is great, friendly and our kids love the breakfast buffet and pool. It's nicely situated next to the beach: just cross the boardwalk and you enjoy the sand and sea. Also for going to South Beach, an ideal location. We will return for sure, while going to Miami.

Room Tip: Keep checking the room reservations: Riu has tendency of being overbooked and especially with late a...
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights after returning from our cruise. We picked this location because the price, location and ratings had a good balance. The hotel was very accommodating with our early arrival. When we booked we requested an early check in but were told that they could not guarantee it, however when we arrived they offered to hold our bags in a secure area while we wait but then 5 minutes later advised us they had a room ready.

The lobby was nice and comfortable and had 30 consecutive minutes of free Internet per day otherwise you could purchase Internet time in your room. Getting off the elevator to go to the room I tripped because the floor is not level with the elevator since they had laid thick tiles on the floor. The halls also had a smell that resembled baby powder.

We were happy with the room, it was nice and clean and had a renovated bathroom. The bed looked nice but I found it too soft and it caused me to wake up with back aches, however my wife found it to be ok. We had a beautiful view of the pool and beach from our balcony but found out the hard way that they had done some painting of the white balcony waĺls and didn't have any warning, so when I leaned against the wall I got white paint residue on the back of my black shirt. I was not able to get it all out in the bathroom sink but when I complained to the manager he had it sent out for cleaning.

The pool was nice and we were able to get deck chairs by the pool easily. They had poolside towel service which was nice. I was surprised to find out that the beach chairs and umbrellas in front of the hotel were not from the hotel and had a pricy rental charge if you wanted to use them. We chose to lay a towel on the sand instead. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and enjoyed our stay. They have a shuttle to the airport but you have to pay. We found the restaurant to be priced high but found a Subway restaurant just down the street.

I think I would stay here again as long as the prices stayed competitive.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pdoug72
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for five days in the beginning of may with a girlfriend. Reception was warm and welcoming and check in took about two minutes. Our room was on the tenth floor and renovated. It was lovely, clean, and modern. There was no balcony in our room which was a bummer and the view was mostly of the construction next door, but we didnt come to miami for the room so we didnt care. The noise of the construction did not bother us at all during our stay.
The pool area is very nice and never felt over crowded. The pool bar was nice and had good service. Prices were reasonable for Miami standards. We also are lunch there as well. The food is good but nothing to knock your socks off.
The beach off of the property is amazing! Clear water and once again didnt seem overly crowded. Since we are both in our twenties a slightly more party atmosphere would have been nice, however the action in south beach is only a 15 minute cab ride away. The rui made a nice compromise of being quiet and relaxing but close to the party spots. We figured out cabs hang out in the alley next to the hotel so we never had trouble getting one.
The only minor complaint is the size of the elevators, they are tiny and there are only two so sometimes we had to wait awhile. But that's a minor issue.
Overall I would stay again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here Easter weekend and found that the price was really good for the location and the amenities provided. This is a good hotel for families. The pool was really nice and relaxing and the beach was easy to access. I decided to write this review so I could let the management know how much we liked pool attendants. They were very nice and gave my nephew extra attention which made us all happy. Also on the day we left, my nephew left a bag with his souvenir stuffed animals on the front steps of the hotel. We didn’t realize this till we got the airport. We left on a Sunday and the stuffed animals made it home Friday. We were impressed with their speed and care shipping them home.

1  Thank carolina27
Reviewed 3 May 2014

When we arrived the rooms were not ready and had to wait a few hours.

Had to get Valet parking which was very good. The parking attendants were friendly and had our car ready usually within 5-10 minutes.

The rooms themselves were very clean and updated (renovated ones). We didnt spend much time in the rooms but came with cable and all the necessities.

Food was a bit too much for the buffet. We went out to eat most of the time and enjoyed doing that as opposed to staying at the resort. In the back there was a lounging area with a pool but it was fairly small and closed off before you get to the beach.

The beach itself was a bit dirty, it was covered in sea weed and you had to pay an extra fee, not sure how much for the chairs or umbrella but it was a separate company that deals with the guests.

There was construction going on outside which you could hear as early as 7 in the morning since they are jam packing more resorts in there. We faced the street and were on the 7th floor but it was still audible in the morning.

Overall it was an alright stay but nothing special or anything that stands out.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room. The other rooms that have not been updated are apparently a real let down.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple