“Worst hotel experience”

Ranked #79 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
chicago
“Worst hotel experience”
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I booked one room for 2/5 and two rooms for 2/6 at Hotel Chelsea, for my bachelorette party with my girl friends. Because of the snowstorm and last min flight cancellations, 2 of my friends could not make it. I called the hotel 2 days prior to our arrival to ask if I could possibly cancel one room and be refunded and they said no, according to hotel policies. I thus told them that in that case, I will NOT cancel the room if I will not be refunded. This was confirmed upon checking in on 2/5, that we would have 2 rooms on 2/6. The next day, they informed us that our second hotel room was canceled, even though I told them NOT to cancel the room, and we will not be getting the refund. When I talked to the same clerk that I spoke with about not canceling the room, she stated that the manager had canceled the room, however, she could no longer be contacted since it was after hours. The hotel group, after much protesting, offered a room in a different hotel across town, when we did not have cars to get around town! They continued to refuse our request to refund the room cost, but would not offer us a room in the hotel that we originally had reservations for. They took advantage of our situation during a busy super bowl weekend and canceled our room without our authorization and would not refund us. Since the trip I have been trying to contact the hotel manager during weekday work hours and have been told by several clerk that she was not available, and they do no know when she would be around. This was the most frustrating experience I have ever had dealing with a hotel. There is no customer service to speak of, they are not accommodating and very rude. The hotel is very over-priced and definitely not as nice as the picture shows, but that is not even that important to us. I would be very careful dealing with this hotel group!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank unitednation2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Hungarian first
ny
Reviewed 22 January 2010

When we arrived at the hotel at 10pm, to which we traveled over 6 hours, we were told that there are no rooms available for us. We were then redirected to a hotel they called "Sunshine" which turned out to be a building under construction with "No Trespassing" signs all around it. There was no office and not a single person around to help us. Upon returning back to the Chelsea we were told to come back a few hours later and they will try to help us. We were finally able to get a room but not till 3am in the morning.

After trying to trying to get in touch with the manager or supervisor during our stay and weeks thereafter - we are still trying...

Today I noticed the hotel charged me hundreds of dollars on the credit card which I left them for incidentals, none of which I was ever made aware of NOR EVER APPROVED!
All this even though we left the room in perfect condition and my girlfriend even cleaned the grimy sink for them.

To make the matter even worse - no one at the hotel gives a damn! Most workers have no clue whats going on nor how to work the computers and good luck trying to find a manager!

2 Thank seetheworldtonight

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Naples FL
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Chelsea is located in the "party area" of South Beach. The decor is dark (in color) and very art deco. The floors in the rooms are painted black. The bathroom walls & floors have dark slate tiles - only. (It is too dark to put on makeup correctly - be forewarned).
The rooms were clean. The bed linens were almost starched! The small refrigerator in the room was a wine cooler. The basket of goodies (to be paid for) had 10 little bottles of Vodka. This spells PARTY. The staff was very pleasant. After we checked in they called to make sure that the room was satisfactory. Great flat screen TV. Don't bring ipods/cellphones to be charged - only 1 accessible outlet in the room - bring a multiple plug! There is no nearby parking, I knew this. To valet your car overnight is $30. Standard price. We read other reviews and asked for a room on the 3rd floor where it would be quiet - we got it. Yes, partying went on till the wee hours, but if you aren't here to party this is not the hotel for you. The outside patio is great for people watching and they have 3 cabanas w/ flat screen TV's - fun and funky

Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2010

REMEMBER THIS IS A SOUTH BEACH HOTEL: Most South Beach Hotels are party hotels or beach-bum spots..finding a decent, clean, comfortable, and relatively chic hotel depends on your time of travel!

All-in-all, this hotel was a good pick; it was comfortable, some-what quiet, and cozy.

This hotel has a great location, central to most events/clubs/and the beach on South Beach. Located on 10th and Washington, your primary means of getting around can most definitely be walking. The hotel offers valet parking for $30 a day, however find parking was a breeze during our stay and parking on the road is much cheaper ($19.05 per day, pay at a central pay-station allowing you to use multiple parking spots on one paid ticket, meters run from 9am-Midnight).

The lobby was clean and nicely decorated; check-in was easy and without headache. The rooms are dimly-lit to create an chic atmosphere, however poor lighting and dark decor is not a good match (think stubbed toes). Our window face directly into the room of a hotel next door so keeping the black-out, but nicely decorated, curtains open was a big N-O. The bathroom is stone covered on the walls and floor, completely mirror on one side with a 1/2glass divider (between the toilet and the shower) on the other...very chic but can present a problem it you are a "messy" shower-er and get water everywhere, since there is no curtain or sliding door to enclose the shower. I do have to say, I loved the decor of the hotel and rooms, the shower was a new experience but a good one, I'm thinking of doing the same style (with door, or course) in my new house.

The beds are hard but decent..the floor of the room tilted a bit to one side, so I felt unbalance half of the time (my finance never noticed the tilt though). The room came with a decent-sized flat screen tv, junk-food filled mini-station, a frige/min-bar, a safe, and a closet.

All-in-all it was a good stay...there weren't many guests visable (though the front clerk said they were booked-up) and I suppose being on the Beach during the coldest weekend in Florida (1/09-1/11/10) didn't help. I would definitely return to this hotel if the maintenance (and atmosphere) stays the same or improves. :)

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon. The staff were helpful enough. The room looks great from pictures but on closer inspection its glam done on the cheap if you know what I mean? The rooms were so SO dark, I couldn't see to read!!! Possibly so dark as to hide the shabby work? First day we were there my husband slipped in the shower, not sure what sort of cleaner would leave the floor slippery.... my only guess it that it wasn't some sort of cleaner and in fact conditioner left from previous guests. Overall I would say the the photo's are the best bit about it. The rooms were tiny also the beds pushed against the wall made getting out of bed (with a bad back) difficult. I wouldn't say its an awful hotel but with so many hotels to choose from, I would keep looking for a slightly nicer once. I wouldnt stay here again or reccommend it to a friend.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I was scheduled for a weekend of R&R at the Chelsea when I came down with a nasty, nasty case of the crud. The South Beach Group staff was very accommodating when I called to find out my options. Though this trip has been postponed, I will certainly stay at the Chelsea the next time an opportunity to play in the sun in Miami appears.

Stayed December 2009
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 9 December 2009

The hotel is really great, and the lobby looks really nice. The rooms are bit worn out but are really fashionable and nice, as well as the bathroom. Two minor problems were that the room is REALLY dark, don't try to read there (even during the day or with all the lights on!) and the A/C is either to strong (and noisy!) or non-existent, so it's hard to control it!

A part of that, the staff was really great, everyone at the front desk were really nice, and had good suggestions. Only problem was the bartender at night (the one with the "I don't shave" look) is just a rude, unpolite person... someone to pity for...

A part of that, there's an included happy hour, which is nice!!!! oh and free wifi (At lobby!) is a plus!

I definetely Recomend it!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends