“Extra charges on credit card”
Review of Hotel Chelsea

Hotel Chelsea
Ranked #85 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Hotel nice for the money, room clean, beds comfortable, front desk at first stand offish then turned nice, hotel close to beach and nightlife, shower nice. Charging 100.00 to credit card, not cool or good way to attract repeat business, lighting in hallway way too dark during the day, but much better at night, maids cleaning cart outside room, not cool, shuttle pick up for the airport not at hotel but at sister hotel 2 blocks away, in the heat not necessary, circle around and pick up at all hotels, no place to put clothes out of suitcase, except for a few hangars. Now the biggest problem, I was charged and extra 15.27 on my credit card, when I called the front desk said it was for mini bar charges, which we did not use, given a name and number to call. i called right then but it was after 5pm and he answered and asked me to call back in the day. Called 2 days later as I was on vacation, no answer, did not leave message, he did however call back from number on his phone and said he would call me back from his office but the call was never received, called front desk again and manager was not in and suggested I send an email. I have now done this. This should not be this much of a hassle to have charges taken off bill or be able to speak with someone on this matter. So my suggestion would be unless you want an extra 100.00 put on your credit card without being disclosed prior to arrival and you want extra charges tapped onto your bill after your departure that you did not incur stay somewhere else. My total charges were 83.00 for 1 night, 20.00 for late checkout (my choosing), 15.27 for charges not incurred, for an extra 40.00 I could have stayed on the beach with a pool. Good points to ponder before you make a decision. One last thing, people complain of roaches (palmetto bugs) you are in south Florida, that should be something not to complain about, you come to a destination where they are known to be, if you don't want the bugs go somewhere else

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 1 July 2010

small hotel with great Location , walking distance to ocean drive and good deal.
Room small but cozy , it's ok bcaus we're not spent all the time in room.
hotel still lacks of amenities

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2010

The location at South Beach is very good and the rooms are nicely decorated for the price. The free happy hour is also a big bonus and so is the very good service and the complementary shuttle bus. The hotel is also a very nice art deco building. However, this is not a good place to sleep, which I think is a major minus for a hotel. I do prefer to sleep at night. Why on earth should a lobby be a music bar? This, however, is not a problem in most of the rooms. Why should there be an open air night club next door? And worst of all, we happened to be there also during the Memorial Day Weekend and this is something to avoid, if you do not want to feel absolutely out of place and colour being an european and want some peace and quiet. So I would not stay here again but I would not stay on any other hotel at South Beach either again. Oh, the Breakers and the Palm Beach suit me much, much better.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Traveled from Chicago to Miami for a one night stay. Really wanted to stay off Ocean Drive, yet be close to restaurants without having to drive. We had a rental car and the hotel does not have their own parking. We had to go couple blocks down to park at the city garage. Somewhere around $20 for 24hrs. But whatever.
The rooms resemble all the photos posted. The decor is so cheesy and tacky. It's as if someone tried to make something unique and trendy, but with no budget. We stayed in the room with the king size bed on the second floor, right above the lobby. Dance music was going ALL freaking night long. Seeing that for that exact reason I purposefuly wanted to stay off Ocean drive, this was a nightmare.
Bathrooms were gross. Very poor craftsmanship on everything. Caulk around the tub must have been slapped by a drunk because it had hair permenantely attached to it. The tub itself was black and probably from the 80's, but it fit the dark decor so they went with it anyway (probably to save mone).
This place is so not worth the price. You can stay for less at the Holiday Inn and get a decent night's rest.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KillerKat
Reviewed 29 March 2010

the staff were friendly and made you feel comfortable, very good rooms, very posh, not that i was in there much, theres so much to do and see in miami and the hotel is in a great location to see everything, not to far from the beach either

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Chelsea with some girlfriends for a night out in South Beach at the end of February 2010.

First impressions:
- The hotel advertises valet... but we had to find our own parking after circling a very busy street because no one was around (we were able to find a meter for a reasonable rate down the street)
- We had to wait over an hour to check in as there is only one front desk agent (which is understandable for a boutique hotel but there was one group of 15 people ahead of us, clearly they needed more staff that day!)
- Great location, 2 blocks away from the beach and close to the clubs
- Rooms were very art deco, very funky (but VERY slow free wi-fi)
- Be sure to clarify what's included in the happy hour as the bartender told us after we got our drinks
- Front desk was nice enough to give us complimentary club passes

We were still relatively happy with out choice until we went out for a late night and found a large cockroach in the shower the next morning. Front desk sent over maintenance to spray it immediately and he actually laughed when we told him that it shouldn't have been there in the first place. We were going to check out later that afternoon but there was no sympathy from front desk about the incident or even an offer to let us shower in a different room (since the chemicals were still in the shower). The manager was not on-site and I emailed after I returned home but still no response on her part.

I've worked in hotels for years and I know that this is no way to treat customers or run a hotel. I could only imagine what else we could have been sleeping in that night! Don't stay at this hotel unless you want to find out.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank tafan03
Reviewed 24 March 2010

My sister and I ate, shopped and dined. Chelsea was clean, accommodating as far as amenities and location. Great chic hotel!

Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends