“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
st lous, mo
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I were there recently on an adults-only trip. We were pleased with the service and the cleanliness/overall feel of the hotel. However, the construction next door was very loud during the day, and one day they closed the pool at 4:00 for a wedding. They had not announced this in advance, which was annoying. We didn't let it ruin our trip, though - after travelling enough, you have to realize that there are always going to be things that are not perfect on a trip - so overall I would recommend this hotel once the construction is done.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcjcStLous_Mo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh,PA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This place is a bit away from the excitement of the main South Beach area- about a 20 minute walk. It was clean and the grounds are very pretty and relaxing. The food was delicious. I loved the access to the boardwalk, although most of the hotels along Collins have the same access. I would have preferred to have a balcony, but I dont think many of the hotels in this area have them. Very disappointing since you have a beautiful view from an ocean front room, but you cant enjoy the smells and sounds of it from your room. The only major complaint is the constant construction noise from the hotel next door. We were not told about this upon check-in. Eventhough the property itself was relaxing, the noise made it VERY difficult to relax and it was impossible to take a nap poolside, or beachside. It was very loud. The spa was nice, but not overwhelmingly luxurious, it was quite simple. The bathroom in our King oceanfront room was small. It is eco-friendly, but could have had a little more space to put my things.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bunta1976
Glasgow, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Me and my wife stayed here in September of 2011, with the intention of getting married out by the rocks on the beach. Things didn't workout so great at first. We arrived from the airport to The Palms around Midnight to check in, only to find that the Air Conditioning had stopped working, and it was a humid 85 degrees in our room. Around 1:30am I decide that we needed to find another hotel until the situation was fixed so we went across the street for the night. The night clerk was VERY understanding and refunded our money for that night. We came back the next morning around 8am to discover that the A/C had been fixed. And, not only were we able to check back in to the hotel, they upgraded our room to an Ocean View at no extra cost. The Customer Service was excellent!

The restaurant, Essensia, was very good, and very high profile. A little expensive for my taste, but we were treated like royalty. The patio out back was VERY nice and we ended up lounging around out there all Friday night.

We got married Saturday morning out on the beach, right in front of the rocks as we we're planning. Everything went very smooth (we only had a party of 5, so it wasn't a big wedding.) and we checked out of The Palms and went out front to catch a cab to the Port.

Overall, the Palms Hotel and Spa won me over. They will absolutely get our business from now on in Miami! The only reason I didn't give a 5 star rating, is because of the debacle over the A/C unit, and I don't believe on giving out 5 stars unless everything goes EXACTLY perfect.

Thank you, PH&S, for a great weekend!

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge for the Beach view. Other wise, you'll be looking straight at a hotel acro...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Boone, Iowa
Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

This place is awful. The construction next door makes it loud during the day. Then... theres a party in the room next to me and at one in the morning, I call the front desk to have it quieted down. They do nothing. At three, I threaten to take care of it myself and the security comes up. The party goers oblige and quiet down. The hotel does nothing to compensate me. STAY AWAY!!!!

Stayed April 2012
7 Thank Carguy50036
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This hotel was an oasis of luxury after our stay in downtown Miami. Its a small boutique hotel with a resort feel (without being over sized), and has a tranquil poolside lounge area and easy access to the beach and city boardwalk. The beach has plenty of lounge chairs and bar service. The Essensia restaurant was divine - wonderful culinary creations that were healthy and delicious! We were pleasantly surprise. The location is not very close to other South Beach attractions and you have to be prepared to take a cab from the hotel, but the beach front location is well worth it. The rooms have all the up to date amenities, and beach towels are available by the pool. All in all we were very pleased with the truly zen ambiance!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband, daughter and I spent a week here for spring break. We booked the hotel through Expedia. The hotel gave us a hard time about honoring our room request. They initially put us in a room with two doubles in spite of our specific request for a king with pullout sofa. My 6'4" husband does not fit in a double. To add insult to injury, we had a lovely view of the hotel construction workers next door. The constant drilling, banging and beeping of the construction machinery was unbearable. It could be heard on the beach, at the pool and in our room beginning at 8:00 am. I had planned to veg on the beach and read all week. Instead we, found ourselves leaving the hotel everyday to get away from the noise. Room service and hotel food was subpar. This place is over-rated.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ivy F
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We enjoyed our week long stay at The Palms in April 2012. The location is perfect - close enough to go to Lincoln Road and Ocean Dr. without being in the middle of the craziness. The rooms are a little on the small side, but they do make the most of the space. We had a corner room on the 10th floor with an incredible view of the Atlantic. We were pleased with the staff, cleanliness and food/beverage options.
We were VERY disappointed in the wireless - it really doesn't work any where in the hotel and especially NOT in the guest rooms or at the pool. Management really needs to address this - it was obvious that the staff was tired of hearing the guests complain about it. If you need to conduct business by internet while at The Palms, make sure you have a smart phone with hot spot capability for a tablet or laptop.
My husband and I had a couples massage in the Aveda spa. I love Aveda - so that was a big plus for me, but the overall spa experience is a little disappointing. The Palms does not have all of the spa amenities I expected (segregated steam room so swimsuits are required, no hot tub, or sauna) so it really isn't what I would consider a destination spa, but very nice for what it is.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are worth the extra $. We were in a 10th floor corner room and it was wonderf...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple