“Very romantic”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We just spent 3 nights here after finishing a Mediterrean Cruise and loved it. It doesn't look like much from the front, but than we walked into the lobby and WOW it was beautiful. it is like being at a plantation and we loved sitting outside in the covered patio area. It was very romantic, like being on a second honeymoon. The pool is not huge, but it is a nice pool and the beach area was very enjoyable. We arrived right after isaac and had the best weather, clear and sunny. Our rate included the breakfast buffet which was amazing and $50 towards dinner at Essensia which was very nice. The service at both was excellent. The cons; Their drink prices were outrageously expensive. We paid $40 for two mediocre martinis. Also one day we were out of our room early and came back late afternoon and our room had not been serviced. Even with that, we can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,763)

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We were in this hotel for 6 nights and we were quiet disappointed. The rooms are nice but a little bit small. The pool is smaller than it appears on the photos. the staff at the beach and de bellboy and the valet parking staff was really friendly but the receptionist are quiet arrogant. But ther is one BIG BIG BIG disatvantage and we are fairly angry at the moment. You have no possibility to shower after you chekced out. So our flight was leaving fairly late in the evening an we would have stayed in the hotel for some hours. But if you keep your room you have to pay 50 $ for each hour and you could shower in the spa for 20$ per person but this is much tooo expensiv just for some water in the shower. We are really not used to such an bad service in a 4 star hotel. Disappointing!!!!!! Further everything at the minibar, poolbar and so on is also far to expensiv. The spa treatment i had was great thanks to Maria A. Rodriguez.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Severine H
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Severine, I regret to hear that you left feeling disappointed about our after departure guest options. We truly value our guests and all of their experiences, from arrival thru departure, and apologize if we failed to communicate the value of our Aveda Spa access option to you. When available, our Front Desk is also able to offer our departing guests an extended late checkout (past our 11am c/o time), 12noon complimentary or later for an additional charge. This is common among our fellow Miami hotels and competitive set. However, as an alternative we do also offer our Aveda Spa as an option for guests, which would include access to our exclusive Spa facility and tranquil settings; showers, locker / changing areas, steam room and indoor / outdoor relaxation area for $20 per guest. Our hope is to provide all guests with an exceptional spa experience, just as you commented on your amazing spa treatment experienced with Maria. I am delighted to hear of her fantastic services and care and have personally shared your comments with her directly. Thank you for your unique perspective and allowing us to address your concerns. Sincerely Elena

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I am a wedding photographer in Austin, Texas. When our daughter said she wanted to get married at The Palms Hotel & Spa in Miami, I knew they would have a lot to live up to. I can tell you that Monica and staff were amazing in every detail. Nothing was over looked and we felt very welcome. Every thing with the wedding was on time and perfect. The following reception was perfect. Food, staff, bartender and management were all there. A very big thank you from someone who has been to 225 weddings in the last three years and know when things are well run and when they are not..If you have any doubts about The Palm, forget about it. They are THE BEST!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Austin, TX: We are truly honored to have had the opportunity to host your daughter’s wedding, here at the Palms. We realize there are many hotels and wedding venues to choose from in the area and it was our absolute pleasure in making the event and entire planning experience a magical and unforgettable one that will last a lifetime. Our Catering and Banquet teams (along with all of our hotel staff) exude passion, dedication and professionalism in turning a wedding event into a truly spectacular and unforgettable experience. We all appreciate your sincerity and comments and hope you will keep in touch with us on how the newlyweds are doing. Hopefully, we can celebrate an anniversary together in the near future. Sincerely, Elena & our lovely ladies in Catering

Reviewed 11 September 2012

The first impression when I walked into this hotel was WOW! I loved the originality of the hotel and how even though it looked in tip top shape it still had an antique feel to it.

But, I do have to say that the best part of this hotel was the staff (specially the bellmen) they were always so helpful and never lost that smile on there face. Our room was ready earlier than we expected so that was a great bonus considering that the weather thanks to Issac was bad, so we really didn't want to go outside.

The rooms were very clean and seemed as if they were recently renovated. The only thing I do have to mention is the bathroom layout which wasn't a problem at all to us, but might be an issue to others. The. Athroom is not your regular shower, toilet and sink all in one room. These rooms have two separate rooms, one has a sink and the shower and the other has a sink and a toilet. Both rooms are in really nice and recently renovated, so it really isn't an issue at all, just a different layout which we actually enjoyed.

Due to Issac we didn't use the pool area, so all I can say is it looked really e from our room window. We did use the hotel restaurant "Escencia" for breakfast. It was pricey but good. They have a breakfast buffet and an omelet station.

I do have to say that location isn't the best because it is about 15 streets from Ocean Drive and there aren't really any restaurants or stores around the hotel. There is a small store about a block from the hotel, but it is very small so you won't find a lot there, just the basic snacks, drinks, alcohol and stuff like that. There is also a Subway about a block from the hotel and that is about it. I heard that you can also find restaurants and stores on 41st street but it is still a little far from the hotel. I would say this is the only bad thing about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Santa Fe, I love that we were able to ‘WOW’ you with our first impression and that the welcoming smiles of our bellman made your stay truly memorable. Our Bell team, along with the rest of the Palms staff, is dedicated to ensuring that each and every one of our guests receive the very best in genuine service and hospitality, especially during one of Florida’s Tropical Storms, as you experienced during Isaac with us. Hopefully, we can welcome you back again soon and allow you to experience our outdoor tropical sanctuary and stunning South Florida beaches as well. Please contact me the next time your travels bring you back to beautiful Miami Beach, as we will be waiting to welcome you with a smile. Sincerely, Elena :-)

Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I decided to escape August in San Francisco for some sun and sand in Miami Beach. We chose the Palms because it was a bit outside the main action in South Beach, right on the water and looked like a good option between the larger properties such as the Fontainbleau and the small deco hotels of South Beach. The staff were all very friendly, the common areas immaculate and attractive and the room well appointed, if a bit on the small side. The bath was a bit odd in that the commode was separate from the main bath, but it was fine. The pool is lovely and there is direct access to the beach and boardwalk. Our stay was during Isaac and the night that the major part of the storm came through the hotel managed to put together a nicely done buffet dinner. We had a car while there, and the valets were prompt and very courteous. The fitness center is on the limited side, but fine for us and the spa very attractive although we didn't use it. The only glitch was a couple of days when our room was made up very late in the day. I would highly recommend The Palms for anyone wanting a true hotel experience but not wanting the glitz and prices of a property like the Fontainbleau.

Room Tip: There is major construction that is likely to continue for some time on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I had an awesome 80 minute massage, mani and pedi. Visited the spa with a group of five girlfriends. We had an awesome time. I love Aveda products. The only do downside was the size of the locker and reflection rooms, to say it was tight would be an understatement. Lol. The spa was very clean and the staff was attentive and courteous. I would go back.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I travel quite a bit, so I expect that the statistics of things going wrong with my hotel stay is high. This stay was highly unusual and I think reflects more than just statistical problems of things that can go wrong with a hotel stay. I think there are serious problems with the management of the property. Upon arrival, I was greeted promptly, checked in and taken to my room. After the bellhop left, I proceeded to unpack and take a shower. I entered the shower stall and I kid you not...there had to be hundreds of small gnats I assume) in the shower! So many that it looked like marble on the walls. I called the front desk to advise. A worker was sent and he literally got in the shower and attempted to swat them all. After 20 minuets he left. I went in and they were still there. So I asked to be moved. My next room seemed better, except that the air conditioner did not work properly. When I called to complain, I was told that the maintenance department was gone until morning. I asked to be moved again, which I was. This time I was upgrades to a beach view, but by now it was after midnight and I had a meeting the following morning, so I did not care about a view. There were two beds, I chose one, inspected it and went to sleep. On day of three of my stay I was joined by my best friend, she arrived and inspected the second bed. She found blood on the comforter and sheets. When I called to complain, the manger of housekeeping arrived and seemed completely baffled that I could stay in the room three days and not notice the blood. He stopped very short of accusing me of being responsible for the blood. I assured him I hadn’t touched the bed at all. That evening, I went down to see the manager; he refused to come to the front desk to speak with me but the representative offered me a freee drink at the bar. So there you have it. Stay here if you want to take a chance, as I will never again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank jkps1
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Jkps1, I am truly saddened to hear about the disappointing experiences you encountered while being our guest. Clearly we fell short of your expectations and our promise to deliver genuine hospitality and thorough follow up for the circumstances surrounding your multiple guestroom changes during your stay. Guestroom functionality and cleanliness are top priority along with addressing our guests concerns and continuing to listen to our guests feedback as a means to continually improve. I would love to speak with you personally if you would be willing to give us another opportunity to regain your faith and loyalty in our property, guestrooms and service. Please contact me at ebarkey@thepalmshotel.com or 305-908-5450. I look forward to speaking with you soon and hopefully welcoming you back to the Palms Hotel & Spa as our guest. Sincerely, Elena