“Perfect hotel if you don't want to stay on ocean drive!”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I've been coming to Miami quite a few times (3 times the last year) and I've stayed at hotels on washington, Collins and Oceandrive more or less everytime. This time I wanted to try something different and so the Palms seemed like a good options since it's north of South beach but still not to far from Lincoln road and 7-10th st action. Also, a plus in my opinion is that it's not HUGE. There are a lot of high rises on North beach and also Sunny Isles.. But this hotel is neither small/boutique nor a gigantic tower. So, it's got character and you won't get lost. :)

The rooms were very nice. Ok sizewise and with the best beds I've ever slept in actually! We had a separate toilet and shower. Not sure all rooms come like that. The ocean/pool view is nice, but unfortunately it's also including the construction next to the hotel. Not so nice.. But, there is a lot of construction going on in that area, so there are a lot of hotels that are affected of the same thing. Don't think it is so bad you should go elsewhere. Although I did think they could have cleaned the area just below our windows. There was a bit of fixing going on at the Palms too and obviously no one wanted to keep the place tidy.

Breakfastbuffet is fantastic! Make sure to include it in your booking! Fruitsalad, salmon, waffles, omelet-station... Etc etc. Best I've had in the USA except for in Vegas.

The pool area is very clean and also worth the stay. Some sand and loungers and also Tiki-huts for rent. The boardwalk is just out the gate by the pool.

All in all a nice experience. A bit pricey.. But so are most of the hotels in Miami.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Per N
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Thank you for not only choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to provide us with your most recent Palms experience! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our property, rooms, pool, but especially our fantastic breakfast buffet! We are looking forward to the enhancement to the surrounding areas this new property will bring, however, at this time we do have intermittent noise disturbances heard outside of our property. Our tropical settings and luxurious amenities within the hotel continue to be of great charm and enjoyment to all of our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back as our loyal and repeat Palms guest!
Warm regards,
Alma Cue
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,729)

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Palms and had a great experience. To comment on previous reviews; yes there is construction going on but in Miami Beach it is hard not to find construction near a hotel. Fortunately for that area there is a lot of renovation work and new buildings. So any hotel you book keep it in mind if that is an issue. Yes you hear the noise in the pool area. You do not hear it on the beach. Get a room on the north end of the building we did not hear the noise in our room.

Service here was always professional. From your first greeting arriving at the hotel to housekeeping everyone was helpful, and professional. I stay at Ritzs a lot and I almost liked the staff here better it was more genuine, not rehearsed with coin phrases like many chain hotels.

This is a smaller hotel than chain hotels which gave it more charm I felt. The lounge area was very comfortable, bar area comfortable and not loud like many places in Miami Beach. That being said if you are looking for night life this is not the hotel for you. However a $5 taxi ride gets you to the night clubs and the hotel always had taxis waiting for their clientel.

Many people don't talk about the restaurant on site Essence. It was fantastic. We had good brunches (not fantastic but above grade), lunches are better and dinners were fantastic. Smaller menu utilizing local produce including their own garden. On Wednesday nights at 5 PM meet at the garden for a 30 minute toor and talk about what they grow and how they use it in their reciepes. We happened to also get a glass of Prosecco, great cheeses and crackers offered to us as well. The head Cheif gives you the tour and was very gracious with questions people had.

In short I would return to this hotel, it is just north of South Beach and walking distance to many very good restaurants using the board walk. Beach large and beaurtiful too.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed there as a family, and had a great stay!
Rooms: clean, luxuryus,
Service: as you expext in a hotel of this standard
Breakfast: wow, fantastic food and atmosphere
Spa: great service
The pool area was fantastic with sandy beach by the pool, and a nice pool bar.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our rooms, service, food, spa, and pool. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
Warm regards,
Alma

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

The rooms here are small and the lack any kind of balcony which gives a sense of space. I really like the bathroom arrangement: one with toilet and sink and one with sink and shower. My husband and I had our teenage daughter with us and the extra privacy was nice. The was a big noise issue also. A hotel next door is under construction and this hotel is replacing windows. I spoke to the manager who promptly refunded our upgrade fee for an ocean facing room. Overall a nice place but negotiate the rate until all the construction ends.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Momof4kidsNearBoston
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Rooms are small. Very over priced would not recommend pool area is old. Daily valet fee of Twenty nine dollars Is rediculous. Booked 2 nights. Only stayed one. Could not leave soon enough go some where else.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Davide444
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and choosing to stay with us. I am disappointed that your stay was not what you had expected. Our valet fee of $29 is in line with other local Miami Beach and South Beach properties. As a matter of fact our fee is less than most hotels in our competitive set. I wish parking was more plentiful in this area but as you can imagine this will never be the case. Guest feedback is very important to us as it helps us to evaluate service and standards for our guests and ensure a pleasant stay. Should you have a moment please email me alma@thepalmshotel.com for further details on your stay. When your travels bring you back to our city, we would be very pleased to have you as our guest again so that you may experience the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for.
With warm regards,
The Palms Hotel & Spa Team

Reviewed 14 February 2013

We looked at lots of hotels on the Beach and chose The Palms at the recommendation of a friend. Luckily for us she warned us about the construction so we asked for a room in the Tower far from the maddening noise. We spent our time on the Beach where we heard little. Actually it seems that every third building on the beach is under serious construction so ASK whereever you book.
Now for the rave review. We would absolutely return and send others. We loved the old world but very up-to-date ambiance: sort of East INdian English with palms and fans and french doors.
We saw two bedrooms both stunning in beautiful soft blue colors.

But the memorable part of the hotel is the staff: every single one. If I were running a company I would try to steal the personnel director as he/she has a intuition for people for sure. Clearly they are all trained well but they were as natural, warm and fun as any group I have every met.
I cant say enough about them The food is also excellent and beautifully served.
A fine stay all around.

Room Tip: right now ask for the towers away from construction
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I am at a convention but chose to stay in a smaller hotel. I liked the old world charm of The Palms in the lobby with the modern decor of the rooms. The bathrooms are nice, except the grout in the shower kept coming off in pieces.

Here is the problem. I came back to my room around 1:45 to get some down time, answer emails and do a little bit of work with my feet up. However, I was greeted with what sounded like a jackhammer coming from next door that virtually shook my room. On further reflection I decided it was hammer and drills and other some such. I called up downstairs to ask how long it was going on. They told me it would go until 4 as they were replacing windows.

A first rate hotel would have done one of two things: 1) not booked anyone adjacent to a room under construction; 2) advised me in advance so I could plan my day around it and be gone.

Up to this point, I would have given the hotel a much higher review. I believe a hotel should prevent a serene get away. At over $300 a day, that doesn't seem like too much to ask.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and choosing to stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. First and foremost, I regret that your stay was not exactly as you had anticipated. Please be assured that what you may have experienced was atypical and Guest satisfaction is always paramount at The Palms. When your travels bring you back to our city, we would be very pleased to have you as our guest again so that you may experience The Palms in its true light.
With warm regards,