“Great experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Great experience”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Palms with my wife for two nights this week. The weather wasn't great, but that wasn't the hotel's fault. From Erwin the Reservations Manager, through to all the staff in the hotel and spa, everyone was a pleasure to deal with. The room was a tad small, but the view made up for it - we stayed in an oceanfront king room on the seventh floor, with an unobstructed view of the beach and ocean. The bathrooms were a little weird - two separate rooms, one with a toilet and sink, and another across from it with a shower and sink. They also had some spots that were a little dirty, but nothing terrible.

The pool area was nice and clean, with a very attentive staff presence. The spa was also very good - we each got massages and enjoyed the entire experience there.

The negative is, of course, the constitution going on on both sides of the hotel. During the day it is impossible to avoid the noise, and it is quite noisy. In the room, itself, it isn't that bad, but you constantly hear the beeping of backing up trucks. Outside at the pool, and even on the beach near the hotel, it is very noisy.

The only negative about the hotel I would point to is they weren't very helpful with a request for late checkout. Checkout is 11AM, and they allow you to stay until Noon with no charge. After that, they basically charge $50 per hour of extra time. Maybe the hotel was booked full and they needed the room, or maybe this is standard practice. But I'd have thought they could have been a little more accommodating.

All in all, we enjoyed out time at the hotel and would go back. The price could not be beaten for what we got. Tip: email or call the hotel directly to get their best price - they offered me a price better than anything else I saw online, even than what they listed on their own website.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear naft2717,
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our attentive and outstanding team members. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We try our best to accommodate late check-outs; however, during certain times of the year this is not always possible, but I do regret any inconvenience this might have caused you. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your massages and we look forward to welcoming you back next time that your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The hotel is just fine, on the beach, in Miami Beach, walking distance from South Beach, etc. Relatively fair value for money. I got assistance from the concierge to send back stuff I bought over the internet. That's all I have to say on the positive side about the hotel.
To my surprise, despite having let them know in advance that I was going to receive packages bought over the internet, I found out on checking out that the hotel charges US$ 5 per package for 'handling'. Moreover, I was also charged (no receipt was issued despite having asked for it) additional US$ 5 per piece of left-luggage per day.
To be fair again, I was informed upon inquiry that the charge for valet-parking was US$ 35 per day. Nevertheless the fact that the the extra charge for parking was more expensive than the car rental itself, supports my feeling that this hotel can be classified as anything but 'all-inclusive'. Enjoy the hotel while the use of the elevator is still free of extra charges ;-)

Room Tip: I neither used the SPA nor had breakfast so I just said 'average'
Green Features: About average for the towel management. A highlight: A clever toilet allow people to wash their hands right after flushing the toilet. That water, I think, refills the toilet tank to be used on the next flush.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear JR10vuelve,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience and regret that you were not informed about our package handling fee. We value your feedback; without it we would not be able to address certain areas of opportunity and look towards improvement in the future. In reviewing our fees including our parking fees we have found to be competitively priced and in line with other local luxury Miami Beach and South Beach properties. As a matter of fact, our parking fee is less than most hotels in our competitive set. I wish parking was more plentiful in this area. Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We do hope next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach to welcome you back and provide you with the warm hospitality and excellent service The Palms is known for!
bensalem
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Bartender always smiling and helpful.
Quick car service at valet
Beautiful grounds
Elevator on Mezzine poor.. Took steps all week
Hospitality / maid service needs poor
Good location
Needs more entertainment

• Stayed November 2013
Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had several business meetings during October 2013 and split my guests between the Red Hotel and the Palms, each one in front of the other. As in the Red, my guests in The Palms were very well treated. I had the great luck that one of their valets, Luis, is a neighbor of some friends living nearby. He is a living encyclopedia about the hotel, not counting the wonderful treatment to my guests by him and his colleagues.

The decoration of the hotel gives it a very unique character. Security is always there, but, unless you are in this industry, you will probably not notice, is very unobtrusive while one feels very safe. Their restaurant Essentia, is very good, also its bar. Still remember one of the best Ceviche I ever ate. As in the Red Hotel, public restrooms are clean and well supplied and the staff is very unobtrusive but ready to help.

During nights, maintenance staff make the property look like new, and they are like ghosts, so silent that no one can notice unless is at 4 AM there.

This is a very competitive area with places like The Fountainbleu, Eden Rock, The Setai, The W Hotel, The Riu and The Red within walking distance, not counting the Beachwalk and the beach itself, also a mile from Millionaires Row (I stayed.there in The former Playboy Magazine Castle Beach Club, now several hotels in the same property and out of its former Five Star glory).

If you have a group, read my tip. You will avoid what happened to edecker2.

Room Tip: If you are booking a group, ALWAYS, as in ANY other hotel, contact their sales manager or group sale...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for not only choosing The Palms Hotel & Spa to accommodate your guests but also for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our “well kept property, wonderful patio, excellent restaurant, and great valet”. Thank you as well for recognizing Luis’ excellent service. It was certainly our pleasure to host your guests and we look forward to many more future stays!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had the unfortunate task of arranging travel for 8 of my collegues for a conference held at this hotel last month. I was told to book all guests under one name because this person was going to be paying for all rooms on his corpoate card. Upon arrival the guests could change the reservation to their name while leaving the payment info with the corporate card. The reservation specialist managed to first book numerous rooms for the wrong nights, then didn't book 2 of the 8 rooms and luckily had extra space, and finally when the guests arrived they were told that they would have to give their credit cards in order to stay at the hotel. One of our guests was almost turned away because she did not have a credit card to provide! All of this because I was originally told that the process would be much easier if booked all under 1 name and 1 credit card. I also specifically requested that all receipts for the rooms be given to the card holder and of course none of them were and 1 month later I still can not get the hotel to send me the receipts for the rooms. This was really by far the worst experience I've ever had arranging travel for work and I would advise any company to stay as far away from this hotel as possible. It was a nightmare and embarassing for or traveling guests.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank edecker2
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear edecker2,
I sincerely regret the inconveniences you and your colleagues have experienced and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly. We value your opinion and have taken the appropriate measures with our team to ensure this does not happen again. Please contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com so that I may speak with you regarding this matter and hopefully we can restore your confidence in our hotel.
Sincerest regards,
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 November 2013

.........A weekend getaway favorite of mine in Miami. This is a property that I enjoy when I want to be at peace in my own city. The restaurant Essencia is very good. Chef Julie uses mostly locally sourced ingredients and has a clever, healthy menu. I love to come here to sleep, eat, lounge on the beach and poolside.........and nightlife is a very short cab ride down Collins Avenue...

Room Tip: Ocean View............
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our property and look forward to your next visit.
Bronx, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I went to Miami for my 28th birthday with my fiancé; so glad I picked to stay at The Palms hotel and spa. Everyone was so polite and helpful anything I ask for was done. The room was beautiful, perfect for the two of us. We were in one of the ocean view rooms on the 9th floor; just waking up to the sun rising over the ocean was amazing. I love the intimacy of the beach and pool it was never over crowed and on the beach food and drink service was ideal. We did a couple’s message and facials at the spa a little pricy but worth it, never felt more relax and alive in a long while. I loved my time in Miami but my stay at this hotel made it even better. From now on anytime I am visiting south beach I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view room, so worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Natasha W,
Thank you for not only choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa but also for taking the time to review our hotel and share with us your Palms experience. I am elated to hear that you found our hotel to be amazing and our rooms beautiful. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our polite and helpful staff and certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach.