“I've stayed in worse places”

Royal South Beach Hotel
Ranked #153 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 24 October 2010

The lobby smelled like mold or mildew and the hall carpets could use a good shampoo but the room itself was pretty clean. It definitely did not look as pictured, but similar. It was all white which is actually a good thing. You can't hide the dirt if everything is white. The marble floors were not very nice to walk on in bare feet.

All in all, if you're just looking for a cheap place to sleep in South Beach, then the Royal is not too bad. It's in a great location (3 blocks from the beach and right in the heart of SoBe) but hotel parking is non-existent unless you want to pay $30 for valet. We had good luck finding street parking on 6th. I definitely would not call this place a nice hotel, but it isn't a place that I would necessarily avoid in the future, provided the price is right (less the $70/night).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 October 2010

The website really misrespected the property. The lobby looks nothing like the website. the entrace was quite depressing and the room was worse. We came to South Beach for vacation and relaxation and I was stressed as soon as I entered the property. The desk manager was not helpful at all. The breakfast buffet looked like it had been there are hours. The curtains in the room were plastic and had holes in them..the bed was hard as a rock..the bathroom and kitchenette were very dated and dingy... all and all it just wasnt pleasant and we left to find another hotel....luckily we found a nice hotel within the hour and had the $ to move....I hate to think what kind of vacation we would have had if we had to stay.....DONT STAY HERE just save the money until you can afford better lodging

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank info4uruse
Reviewed 20 May 2010

We had a great stay at RSH. I stayed there with 3 of my girl friends between May 4-9 for 5 nigths and it was better than I expected. Thanks to TA for helping me plan my trip.

NOTE: If you 're planning on clubbing then I'd sugest staying on Ocean Drive instead.

Pros:
-friendly front desk agent Junior gave us free upgrade to suite !),
-2 blocks to beach, room we stayed at 302/304 was not noisy (maybe because it did not face washington?),
-suite was very spacious,
-bathroom was really nice,
-cofffee machine, microwave and fridge in room a big plus,
-walking distance to TJMax if you need a bathing suit (although there are $10 bargains right on washington street),
-resort fee includes beach chairs,
-walking dist. to BestBuy which is in the same bldg as TJMax if you need an SD card etc,
-we took our drinks to the solarium every night before we went out- it was pretty cool,
-Again service was great and they let us print out our boarding and stated they would not charge for sending a fax,
-we didn't go there to party so glad it was NOT next to on top of a club/restaurant/bar
- beds were comfortable. sofa bed was comfy or so my friends said.

Cons
-Marble floor looks great but you can't walk bare feet. yuck!
-$5 resort is less than other hotels in SoBe but this not a resort so why a resot fee?!
- stove in kitchennette does not actualy work
-you can't open windows but bldg is old so understandable
- No restaurant/bar which may be a pro if you're looking for quiet rooms where you can sleep
-No fancy lobby or swimming pool, walking around washington i found there are lots of other cute boutique type hotels I would want to check out for next time like Hotel Lily

Places to eat:
*Pizza Rustica has FAB pizza!!!Highly recommend it. under $5 a slice.
*News cafe has great breakfast and desert. Lively place right across form the beach
* Wet Willies- requires you pay in cash but drinks are really cheap. View of beach is fab. Other places do have the 2 for1 deals.
* Pelican had $7 happy price price and I got a pina colado just by asking which was not on happy hr menu

MISC
Surf STYLE is great for cheap souvenirs. There one almost on every other block.

---TIP ...Watch out- always ask for price first. My friend had to pay $20 for the gaint bloody mary at a fancier place. And there's a lot of hagglers. Everyone rest. on oceandrive wants to give you a 20% disc.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank meye
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Royal South Beach for one night in May prior to our cruise. We had tried at first to stay at the Miami Guest House Bed and Breakfast but were advised they had no openings. I was advised that the Royal South Beach had an opening. I read the reviews and wasn't sure about staying there. However we decided to take a chance and stay there. Had I known then what I know now I would have stayed longer. Tomas and Luis own both the Miami Guest House and a unit in the Royal South Beach Hotel. This is not a hotel in the normal sense each unit is owned by vacant owners who have sort of a collective that run the Royal. Make sure you book the room through www.miamiguesthouse.com. The Royal is located close to the beach restaurants, shopping and the port of Miami. The room is a studio unit which had everything we needed for a stay mainly a comfortable bed and a shower. The room has a little refrigerator, stove and coffee pot along with some goodies and bottled water in the frig. My main concern is where I stay be clean which this unit was. While booking the room my e-mails were returned promptly with the required information. We were picked up at the airport in the Nissan Sentra which they'll send you a picture of in a timely manner which was great without having to try and figure out how to get around. When we arrived at the Royal we weren't just dumped at the door but taken to our room and showed around. After the short tour remember it's a studio we were told if we needed anything to just call. It was great to find someone in business who was concerned about their customers. When we went to leave Tomas and Luis asked about our stay how we liked it and what could be done to improve it. WOW name a business now that asks your opinion and then follows through. Safety was not much of a concern we were out past midnight along with half of Miami walking around the beach and surrounding area. Staying at the Royal we had no need for a rental car as everything was so close. In closing I can say that Tomas and Luis did a great job with everything, when I return to Miami I will stay with them again they really did a great job of making you as comfortable as possible. I wish Tomas and Luis much success in their business I have no problem recommending you stay there. The price was perfect. To book it I would go to www.miamiguesthouse.com Great job Tomas and Luis.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Royal Hotel South Beach Miami is in the old Art Deco area. It is two blocks from the ocean and beach and 8 blocks from the Lincoln Street open air side walk mall. (There is a great place to eat there. It is The Cafe beside Books & Books.) The service and meal were great. We got to our motel at 10 a.m.. The lady at the desk took our registration and chained up our bags. She took our out of town phone number and offered to call us when a room was cleaned and ready. So off we went walking for a few hours. She called 3 hours later to say a room was ready. Then when we got there she had upgraded us at no extra charge to a suite. The room was clean and large. It is old and right at a corner. But street noise is part of the whole area. The clerks service to us was beyond good and the room was very good. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2010

the hotel is a ripped off paid almost USD 200 per night which for a non sound proof room...non carpeted floor, small bathroom, lousy bed and inconsistent 'high speed' internet.....don't trust the website, it's totally misleading..not for business traveller, not for family member....i can get better rates and better hotel 30 blocks down Collin Ave...

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Hojeff
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I booked into this hotel last week after our cruise. I originally booked and paid for three nights but after one night three I decided to take my loss and move to another hotel. This place is very outdated and the website of the hotel is a complete cheat!
The noise level is incredible , the bed is like a camping bed, very thin mattresses , old air conditioning unit on the wall , very noisy , place is in need of urgent decorating , paint off the wall everywhere. Room and bathroom wasn't really clean , shower curtain you made sure you wouldn't touch, yuk! Only a fixed 100 year old shower head coming out of the horrible wall. Not possible to open windows.
People working there couldn't care less, when I checked in I had to wake the guy at "reception" up ! And like other people mention here they would never look up when you walk past , I was travelling with my 11 year old daughter and din't feel safe at all there.
It was the worst hotel I have stayed in EVER , I mean it is not cheap either , it is average price and if it least it would have been that, average, I could have lived with that -after all you mostly get what you pay for right? Well in this case I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYBODY , and even if they paid me I would NEVER GO BACK to this AWFULL HOTEL!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family