“Good Back Up Plan”

Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach
Ranked #121 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Good Back Up Plan”
Reviewed 22 December 2010

We got this hotel via Priceline Negotiator and it turned out great! The location was great! In South Beach we were blocks away from everything! It was by Lincoln Rd., the beach, alot of nightclubs and the bus took us places for like 50 cents!!! I will prob stay here next March too if the price is right

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank CrisMcCarter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Let me first say that going to this hotel I had read reviews and wasn't overly concerned with its flaws. I was ok with the fact that there was a nightclub next door and actually expected the noise to be worse than it was. I'm sure it could have been depending on our room location. I was also ok with the fact that tis Courtyard is not up to par with what I've come to expect from others. I would say its closer to a Days Inn standard. The thing that really got to me was when my wife ask me to look at our hair brush. Mind you we both have dark brown fine hair. In our brush were several thick, dark, curly hairs. GROSS! I thought how could this be? The only logical conclusion I've come up with is someone from the hotel (cleaning staff) must have used our brush. Before this I would have recommended the hotel to a younger partygoer time traveler. After that I can't recommend it at all. Bad Experience!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

VATravel36
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I have always loved Courtyard as an inexpensive but nice addition to the Marriott family...NOT THE CASE HERE. I am renovating my condo in South Beach, so I am trying different hotels in the area for when family and friends visit.
I would have started this review following my first night (Tues) by saying that the bed was ok, but the pillows were thin and uncomfortable. The breakfast closed at 10am, although the front desk advertised 11am. And I must say that this is not the first time I have seen the iBahn (STSN) internet service which must be a very cheap alternative to real broadband. Its speeds exceed 56K dial-up, but barely!!! But all of this was not enough to make me award only 1 star....
THEN came Wed night - the first night of the week for the night club next door to be open. Apparently it is open Wed-Sat, so be warned!! I stayed in room 101 and it apparently shares the wall with the stage of the club. I awoke at 1230am to very loud music!! Now I am not one to complain, after all I live much of the time in South Beach, but this was ridiculous. I called the front desk and they "dispatched security" to address the issue...obviously they knew what the real problem was, because they never responded back to me. At 3:20am I finally had enough and got dressed and went to the lobby, where the music was even louder. The front desk could not move me, because they were sold out, but did realize that this was a constant problem for that room, but had no explanation as to why they would continue to rent it out. The music finally stopped at 5am and I was able to sleep for 3 hours before I had to wake and get ready for the day. At 8:30am, the cleaning staff just entered my room...no knock, nothing...just walked in!!! Needless to say, I was not happy.
I spoke with the manager, who apologized and admitted that the noise had been an issue in some rooms, but offered no explanation as to why they would either continue to rent the rooms or not try to create some type of noise barrier or at a minimum warn their guests. Clearly the almighty dollar reigns and I assume in most cases people do not demand a refund, as I did. I received a refund for the second night, which is fair, but I would rather have paid for a good night's sleep.
I strongly advise that if you stay here, you be very specific in demanding a room away from the wall adjacent to the night club; I am not talking about vibration from the bass...I am talking about actually hearing the voices and every note...IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Location is good if you've got something at the Miami Beach Convention Center or want to be near Lincoln Ave. However, it's not in the greatest of areas. I didn't have concerns for my safety but it's not nearly as nice as the surrounding areas. Breakfast buffet is $10.95, probably about what it's worth. Internet access is free but can be a little slow at times; not a big deal. Didn't have the usual information booklet in my room, so had to guess at TV channels, gym hours, etc. If you want a USA Today, get downstairs early. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank rater1
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I selected this hotel for its proximity to Lincoln Road and the beach. My husband really wanted to stay at a luxury resort but my 80 year old parents consider a hotel adequate if it has a bed and breakfast in the morning. How do you reconcile $250 a night with $65.00?

The rooms were listed at $199 but I was able to get a weekend deal for $151 for a Friday and Saturday night. The rooms were very basic but clean.

We had to change our room because the bass throbbing that came through the walls and floor was like a Mack truck parked right outside. In fact the room shared a wall with the nightclub next door which opened at 10 pm and went until 4 am.

My folks 2 doors down stayed put and were fine. Our room abutted the nightclub wall (Room 102). We also had parking charges of $28 plus an additional tax for valet parking the car. There is no other option. There is a breakfast space between the front desk and the elevator around the corner with a few tables but we didn't use it and breakfast is NOT included.

The location was great for walking to Lincoln Road in the evening and doing the 8 block pedestrian mall. Lots of gelato, Haagen Daz and all kinds of sidewalk restaurants are here. Lots of great shopping/ browsing also.

We walked to the beach and then walked the beachfront with the upscale stores and restaurants. We then moved one block off and walked the tourist shops. Altogether this was a great location - just wished the building was constructed to be a little quieter.

Lincoln Road is a short 3 blocks north and the beach is also about 3 blocks east so this was a great location just not so much for sleeping.

We switched rooms at 11:30pm but the hallway noise of people coming and going until late late was very noticable as were the people in the adjoining room who talked until quite late.

We did go up to the roof to enjoy the view and look at the rooftop pool. We enjoyed Lincoln Road for all the people watching

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisaonthegoco
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We stayed there in January and returned in July. On second trip, they were having water pressure problems - no showers, toilet wouldn't flush etc. They said they were trying to solve it and offered to let us use a shower in a room on a lower floor if we wanted. Problem persisted for two days and we moved out. Didn't offer any compensation, and have since ignored our communications to head office. On plus side, we didn't have noise issues or staff rudeness others have complained about. Under the circumstances, staff was doing what they could to appease frustrated guests.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank garrybrown
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Wow. That's about all I can say. We decided to spend one night AFTER our cruise to "unwind" a bit. Not so much. We were told rooms would be ready by 3pm, but when we got there we were told the time was 4pm. We arrived at 11am...obviously very early. They very nicely checked our bags and told us they would call us when room was ready. NO ONE ever called. Really? Not one room available early? We were first on the list. Oh well. Our room was clean. Bedding was great. Room was a nice size. I liked the sink outside of the shower/toilet area. But the NOISE was nuts!!! We were going to bed when everyone else was getting ready to go out. The front desk did try and call the room next door, but the phone just rang and rang. THEN, our room a door between ours and the one next door. Obviously it was locked, but I felt like those people were in OUR room all night. They weren't all that noisy, but the walls/door were just so thin. Our night of rest was not restful. THEN....when leaving the hotel at 5am for the airport, there were drunk people in the lobby...drunk people on the front stairs...cars and cabs everywhere. It was nuts. I would never stay there again. It was not the best way to end our vacation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family