“They call this a Luxury Resort???”

Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #134 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 March 2007

We were so looking forward to this stay. Wow, what a dissapointment. Parking is a joke and almost non existant, staff are not friendly, no fitness facility, a cold pool with very little sun light. Ridiculous pictures of the owner (timeshare developer)posing with various celebrities and dignitaries seem to be the focus of this thing called a resort. Curious how they claim this to be a "5 Star Luxury Resort'. Save your sanity and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank KincardineOntario
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2015

Thank you so much for your review. We have made many improvements since you last stayed with us and hope that this experience does not deter you from staying at any of our other Westgate Resorts.

There are newer reviews for Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort

A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 10 March 2006

Although the hotel boasts "five star" status, it barely qualifies as a two-star. The suite we stayed in smelled as though someone had tried to mask the smell of vomit with bug killer spray even though we kept the windows open as much as possible. The carpet in the "suite" was so dirty we had to wear our shoes to avoid blackening the soles of our feet. There were patches of unpainted plaster on the walls of our suite and torn window screens, and the upholstered furniture was in generally shabby condition. We did have three televisions and a DVD player - but the abundance of TVs did not make up for the otherwise unacceptable condition of the suite.

The sun barely reaches the pool during end of February early March, but while we were there the smallish poolside patio was festively decorated by a yellow "CAUTION" tape ribbon warning of the unfinished border between the patio and the drop down to the narrow alley abutting the somewhat seedy adjacent building. The children's playground was a similar danger zone (minus the CAUTION tape), marked by rust and holes in the elevated play gym floor grating and steps. The hotel has no tuck shop or dining room/restaurant, and there are very few restaurants in the immediate area. Guests are forced to travel to the better end of Collins Avenue to find more dining selection.

The staff are not particularly courteous. When we walked into the lobby one day, one of the staff behind the front desk belched. During our weeklong stay, the hotel offered a complimentary lunch of barbecued hotdogs and hamburgers, but the staff ate while the guests were told to wait.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who requires a minimum of cleanliness in their accomodations and at least some convenient access to a reasonable selection of restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 2 January 2006

The 5 star rating is a scam! I rated this condo as okay. It is not a 5 star, not even close, but we didn't have the problems other people seemed to have. I thought the location was perfect. Away from the crowds found down by the heart of South Beach. Being on the Boardwalk was great. A short walk to Denny's and I would recommend Corrabo's Italian resaurant @ 40th street. The beach location can't be beat. It was not crowded and had a lifeguard. We parked in the lot next to the condo everyday. The $6 charge is a city charge, not unheard of for beach property.

We are also Sunterra owners and this condo (aside from location)was not at all up to par. The 1 bedroom is two converted hotel rooms put together. The appliances were old and the furnishings were not special at all. The king size bed was very comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor which gave us a pretty good side view of the ocean. Luckily no one was in the condo next to us until the last night. We had peace and quiet till then. The walls are paper thin. You can literally hear a conversation next door. We were happy it was our last night because the new neighbors came in at 2:30am bringing the party with them. I called the front desk and the other guests quieted down. The pool was in the shade and no one really used it. We did get maid service each day(new towels) and a bed sheet change mid-week.

I think Mr. Siegle the developer is full of himself. The pictures of him at every turn is almost comical. A classier place would have pictures of the surrounding Miami area.

I thought the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I needed quarters for downtown parking and they sent someone right then to the bank for me. Any request was fulfilled cheerfully and immediately.

If this had been rated 2 stars it would have been a great value.

Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank gopatriots

A TripAdvisor Member
Spain
Reviewed 1 September 2005

We have stayed at this hotel in August 2005 and we experienced several problems since the very moment we arrived there. We made a late check-in and when we arrived at the hotel they told us that they only had smoking rooms available. We complained because we were travelling with children and they told us that they were going to reallocate us the next day. The room smelled a lot and they floor was pretty dirty. Next morning the manager told us that all rooms at this hotel were smoking simply because they could not guarantee that people refrain to smoke during their stay! Incredible! The manager didn’t recognize that the room was stinking and dirty. This is the first time I have seen the manager of a hotel suggesting that the customers were lying. The hotel stuff is not friendly at all (except for a few exceptions). The elevator is always dirty; it seems that it is not included in the cleaning schedule. Decoration is terrible, full of pictures of the president of Westgate resorts. Parking is terrible. Location is not that nice, not good restaurants in the surroundings. The pool is quite small but the beach is conveniently located in the back of the hotel.
I simply do not recommend it. There are better options in the area.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 12 June 2005

I loved it. It's in a great place on collins,close to everything. Right on the beach, play ground for kids,you can wash your cloths on the property. The room was nice ,full kitchen with everything you need,2 tv's, nice big bed and a soft bed. The staff was great and helpful, friendly people.Would recommend it to ohers.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank gburrell

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your time with us. Please come back to stay with us again!

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2005

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit from 1 May to 7 May 2005. We are members of Sunterra and not Westgate, but this property is included in Sunterra's usually high-standard portfolio.

Upon arrival, the first thing that hits you is the poor state of the immediate surroundings. Grim is the word I would use. The property next door resembles a knocking shop, and it is located in a generally shabby area. A general store is located 2 blocks south, and the beach is right behind the property.

Maybe I was naive, being my first time in the States, but I was certainly taken in by the name "Westgate at South Beach". I thought it would be at South Beach. I was wrong. It's at least 20 blocks north of South Beach on the corner of 36th Street, which means it's on Miami Beach. Perhaps I should have looked into the location more.

When you first enter the hotel, the first thing I noticed was the peculiar smell. It's not a pleasant odour and as they don't serve food here, I wonder where it comes from. Our room was less smelly but you couldn't escape it. The communal areas inside are depressingly decorated in morose mauve, with details picked out elastoplast-buff. Besides it making everywhere look dingy, it's been done badly and needs re-doing.

Our room was better than the hallways, but was shabby with stains on the sofa, lampshade and walls and chips to the furniture. The windows were dirty but if you opened them we had a partial view of the beach through the pay and display car-park, which was nice. The room was a reasonable size, was well-equipped with everything you would expect, and the bathroom was clean and fairly decent.

The pool which looks very smart if not small on the photos, was dirty and smelly. The patio area had a small number of sunbeds and was untidy, with rubbish whirling round. But when you a have a fabulous beach a few steps away you can overlook this.

We decided to leave Westgate at "South Beach" after a few days, as it was just too inconvenient for us to take cabs every time we wanted to go somwhere and the whole aura was getting us down. Incidentally, we went to Key West for a whole change of scenery, paid for a basic B&B and had a great time! I would recommend it.

One more thing that I found added insult to injury was the strange collection of portraits of the owner and developer of Westgate, Mr David Siegel. He is depicted in black-tie living-it-up at various functions with a number of celebrities from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bill Clinton and Bruce Willis to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. I am sure it is of great consolation to the Westgate Owners as they ramble the corridors, in great need of a face-lift, that their well-earned wonga is giving the proprietor such pleasure.

We didn't complain to the staff at the hotel, not feeling that our complaints could in any way be rectified by them, giving their enormity. We will take it as a lesson well learned and will fully research all aspects of our future holidays. Obviously some people love it and each to their own. This is my personal opinion and I was really disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2005
22  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 20 April 2005

I visited Westgate South Beach from April 3-6, 2005. The hotel is not luxurious or five star as the advertisement of the hotel would lead you to believe. I arrived at the hotel earlier than the 4pm check-in and they told me to come back within 30 minutes and they would have a room available for me. I arrived back around noon and was allowed to check into my room earlier. This resort does not have any amenities or many activities for children. I was traveling with my ten year old son. During my stay there were no planned activities, however, they do have an activity list which did not include very many things. They have things such as game night etc. The pool at the hotel was our entertainment the whole entire stay. It was a nice pool and it was heated so my son really enjoyed it. The beach is located right behind the hotel so it was very nice to be able to leave the hotel and walk to the beach. We spent a lot of time on the beach. This resort is located on a part of Collins Avenue where a lot of things are not going on. The closest sit down restaurant is Denny's which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Oh, let me tell you that the parking is horrible at this hotel. You can purchase a parking pass for 6.50 a day from the hotel which allows you to park your car on the street for several blocks. There is a small parking lot next to Westgate South Beach but it was full majority of the time and you will spend lots of time just driving around trying to find a parking space.

• Stayed: April 2005