“Tarpoon Makes Smart Choices! ”

Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: scuba dive trips, lessons, snorkel tripsenjoy Miami Beach underwater reefs and shipwrecksOnly waterfront dive shop on Miami Beach
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tarpoon Makes Smart Choices! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I scheduled an afternoon dive of two novice reefs 3 days before departure. We received a call that the winds were too high to dive on the morning of the dive. I greatly appreciate an outfit who will put safety before making some extra money. While we didn't get to dive this time Tarpoon will be our first choice the next time we are in Miami.

1 Thank SamIAm12374
Jake S, Manager at Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center, responded to this review, 21 September 2016
Hello SamIam,

Thank You for the great review! I'm sorry that your trip was canceled due to weather. Even though we do not like to cancel sometimes mother nature tells us we need to. No one likes to dive in rough conditions. I hope you have come back to dive with us since then to see what we really have to offer.

Happy Diving!

Miami Beach, Florida, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Dive Shop in Miami, Hands Down!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Pros:
* Dive Shop is 20 ft. from Dive Boat.
* Monty's, a Tiki themed waterfront restaurant is next door for after the dive.
* Best Prices for gear & rentals, and I bought all my equipment here so far.
* Their rental equipment is not from the 80's like most places.
* They fill my tanks as I wait in 5 mins flat
* They have fixed my reg before for $19 when I was expecting it to be over $100
* They know their stuff, they are not expensive and they are quick and easy. What other business in Miami can you say that about? none

Cons:
I cant think of one single thing to say bad.

I didn't get certified here but at another shop on miami beach but I wish i had. When I found out about them I was amazed. The level of knowledge and expertise is mind blowing. They also really want to help you. They love diving themselves and its family run so they really don't care if you come to browse or just ask questions if your even thinking of taking up the sport. I send all my friends here now. great people, The tall pretty blonde, Val and Jake both are so nice they make me feel like family.
Besides them knowing everything and being nice their dive shop is the only one right on the water. You rent your equipment and walk 15 feet to the dive boat. No lugging stuff all over the place. I purchased 4 sets of equipment from them so far and they have always been the lowest price, so now I don't even price shop anymore. I wish I did my Padi through them but I will do my advanced through them soon and my Nitrox. Also, Monty's is the next door over so I can always get a bite to eat after a dive. I'd give more than 5 stars if I could! Great respectable shop, a rare find in Miami.

Visited August 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“NEVER AGAIN! DO YOUR RESEARCH! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WEAK!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Do your research before you dive here!!! The customer service here was horrible. They fooled me once with fake reviews, dig a little bit deeper before you dive here. Dove with a friend who got sick on the boat along with seven other divers, waters were too choppy and should not have gone out but its a business, I understand. The captain and crew were just laughing at them instead of helping or giving some advice. Paid $110 for the dive and after the dive had to carry my 2 tanks back to the dive shop. After returning the tanks I got charged an extra $25 because I didn't rinse the equipment properly. Jake (the dive owners son) began yelling at me that I didn't properly rinse the regulator and that I OWE him an extra $25. In my opinion it should be the dive shops responsibility to rinse the rental equipment to ensure that the equipment is safe. I saw many people doing the same procedure I did but Jake never called them out or didn't see them. Had an argument with the owner which wasn't handled well either. This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen. On a positive note, saw some sea turtles, schools of fish and got some great photos. The dive sites were approx 30ft deep. Buyer Beware, Do your research. Too many quality dive shops in the Miami area to go with this one again.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Staff, Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 5 night stay in Miami. We contacted Tarpoon to see about completing our open water/confined water dives and they were very accommodating. They are very organized and were ready for us when we arrived last week.
The staff members are all very friendly (especially Emilio, Jeff and Val) and there is no sales pressure (I have heard about other dive shops that really push their products). The whole environment is very relaxed and our instructor (Emilio) was patient and kind.
A+ from us!!

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, OH
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great Dive Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

We joined a dive trip organized by Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center on a Sunday morning. The boat is independently operated, the Big Com-Ocean, but all is seamless as you check into the Tarpoon Lagoon shop and then walk to the boat docked nearby. Parking is free and covered right next door (no problem for the 8:30 a.m. trip, not sure if it would be as easy for the afternoon trip). We rented a BC, regulator and tanks. $110 each for the 2 tank dive. Captain Keith helmed the boat and provided detailed information about the sites, while Mercedes and Rachel organized the divers. There was a strong emphasis on safety and keeping track of the divers. There were 20 divers on the boat, a mix of experienced divers, students on their final certification dives and instructors. The boat is quite spacious and we did not feel cramped even with all the divers and equipment; It also has 2 ladders off the back, so getting off and back on was fairly quick and smooth. We visited Belcher's Barge and Chardonney Reef. About 1/2 hour ride out to the first site. There was a wide variety of fish at both locations, and visibility was good, not great. If they had trips available on Mondays, we would have done a 2nd day of diving with them. If you are in Miami or Miami Beach, I would highly recommend diving with Tarpoon Lagoon.

Visited April 2013