“A fabulous bachelorette party!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sagamore

Sagamore
Ranked #73 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Santa Cruz, California
“A fabulous bachelorette party!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

We hosted my friend's bachelorette party at the Sagamore on Jan. 31st this year. We had such a fabulous time - Surprisingly, the hotel wasn't so busy that weekend and we got upgraded to the penthouse!! The penthouse is wonderful for a party - 3 bedrooms, kitchen with dining room table (microwave and stovetop, no oven), contemporary decor, and the rooftop terrace was incredible. (I will post photos when I return home this week).

Fernando at the front desk was our "Hotel Fairy" and was so accommodating to us. The valet and porter were also very friendly and helpful. We very much appreciated the funky art on the walls and the stylish atmosphere.

I would have given this place 4.5 stars, but there's no halves... the only negative experience was upon checkout, my friend had to argue to take some incidental charges off her credit card (no Fernando that day), but other than that, everything was just fab!

• Liked — Front desk staff upon check-in was the best.
  • Disliked — Hidden incidental charges
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

First, let me say that the February weekend we were there it was VERY cold (VERY meaning it was warmer in Boston for parts of that weekend than in Miami!) so this colors everything I guess. That said, we thought South Beach was so intriguing, eclectic and we especially loved the slew of boutique hotels there (must be a brutally competitive business). We will go back to South Beach, probably once every year or two to people watch, try on glitzy jeans, eat great foot and enjoy the lusty mood of the place.

We picked The Sagamore based on Trip Advisor and also our travel friends who had been there before. Location was prime and overall we enjoyed it; the art was cool, mostly digital media (photos and movies) but was very fun and pervaded the place. The lobby area was bountiful and check in was smooth.

We had reserved a water view room and they provided 3 nights for the price of 2. Not a bad deal but the water view was not direct, more along the side but the rooms were spacious and clean, albeit a little leather clad. Our friends had a room facing Collins Ave the first night and it was very noisy, but the management put them into one of the bungalows along the pool for the next two nights at a reduced rate. The bungalows were pretty neat with a spiral staircase connecting the two floors.

Service was nice but slow...maybe this is Miami time, not sure. We ordered up ice and champagne glasses to toast our friends' anniversary and they were great about this...another time, we waited for an hour for some towels after calling a few times. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were fairly non-private so if that matters to you, its was not easy to have a quiet moment alone on the John (instead, imagine being in a lightly frosted fish bowl).

We only ate one meal at the Sagamore, breakfast on last day, tea was $7 which seemed high for Tazo but kinda represented the overall menu / price / quality. The pool area never really got hopping, mostly because people were wearing down jackets and wrapped in towels.

Overall, worth a good look and probably a stay. We also took a look at the Delano (ate dinner there, yum, and hotel looked great, probably another price point higher), the Ritz (pretty modern for a Ritz but nautically cool) and the Angler over on Washington which looked great but not as good a location.

When there, be sure to take a long (all day) walk along Lincoln Avenue, try out Epicure for some treats, drive or walk along Ocean Blvd late at night and check out the vibe, and most of all, go when its warm.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

Honestly, don't waste your time. I had an awful experience at the Sagamore and my friends have gone and complained about it as well and then were upset that I never wrote a review on tripadvisor to warn anyone...the hotel was nice and spacious and in the right location but when you are dropping a certain amount of money on a place you expect a level of service or at least someone to acknowledge and follow up on simple problems.

it's a long story but here is an excerpt from a letter I had sent to the general manager of the hotel.
.....

Unfortunately, our stay with your hotel was not pleasurable. The rooms are a great size and I enjoyed the design of the hotel; however, the customer service that we experienced was not that of a four star hotel. I wanted to share with you my comments of what made our stay so unpleasant which resulted in a very mediocre-below average experience for us. Hopefully this can help you with your staff so that another person will not be as disappointed as we were because you do indeed have a wonderful thing going with the size of your rooms and the ocean front property.

Check In

Upon arrival we were told our rooms were not ready – I was tired but understood as it was only 2 pm and so we decided to shop. We asked to put our bags away and the Front Desk Manager, graciously accommodated us. We went shopping and had a walk around but came back to the hotel at 3:30 pm hoping to get out of our traveling clothes and into something more suitable (i.e. shorts or a bathing suit) for the weather. We were told that our room was not ready and that we would be checked in at 4 pm. We were not happy about the chaos that was happening at the front desk and the lack of organization. The manager offered us 2 free drinks at the pool bar which was more of a token to just get us out of his hair as he had a few people waiting for their rooms. I explained to him a 4 pm check in was very late and that we were tired and were not in appropriate attire – he did not offer to get our bags so that we could change into our bathing suits, he just said “Sorry, I apologize.” and slipped into the back room. I was quite hot and did not want to sit outside – all I wanted was to freshen up after our journey.

I asked the girl who sat at the computer before the dining room (perhaps the maître d'?) if she could ask a waiter to service our table inside and she looked at me incredulously and said “No, you go outside and order” – almost as if I had asked her to make our food and drinks herself. I was mortified by her behavior and I guess my face said it all as she got up and got someone to come in and help us. I couldn’t believe that our vacation was starting off this way.

Malfunctions

As I had mentioned before, the rooms are quite spacious and were nice and air-conditioned for us once we were able to get into our room. I immediately went to freshen up and prepared to head down to the beach. I went to unpack and place my valuables in the safe – however the safe did not work. I went to call down to let someone know that the safe was not working. The pre-programmed buttons did not work (I was told later that they never work – which is quite bizarre to me as well). I called down to front desk and they sent up an engineer. The engineer said there was something wrong with the safe and that he would tell the manager to send someone to fix the battery. Needless to say, nobody ever followed up even though I had mentioned it to the concierge who had told me she would follow up with these problems. The conceirge was very apologetic and knew of our problems with our safe and our phone (it would not pick up any calls). She had tried to get a hold of me for my hair appointment and left a message for another person as the name on the switchboard was for someone else. Our phone would not pick up her calls – I could hear the phone ringing but when I answered the phone it continued to ring and not pick up on my end. She had to come to my room to tell me that the hairdresser would be late and that she would move our dinner plans to a later time. I found her demeanor to be warm and efficient and thanked her for coming up to our room and calling the restaurant to organize a later dinner reservation. Unfortunately, she never followed up on the phone problems or the safe. I was hiding my jewelry all through the room and missed a wakeup a call; this was unacceptable.

No follow-up

Needless to say we had resigned ourselves to forget about everything and just “deal” with it as we were leaving in another night and these deficiencies were becoming increasingly frustrating. The next morning we left for brunch and upon our return both our keys had become deactivated. I appreciate these keys become demagnetized all the time but if you could imagine – I started to feel as though I was on a comedy show. This was becoming a joke and for a very small thing as de-magnetized cards, it was the straw that broke this camel’s back.

I requested to speak with a manager as I wanted to make a quiet complaint to someone. The manager listened to me rehash the facts and problems that we had encountered and I voiced my frustrated emotion with everything that had gone wrong. He asked if he could come to our room to check on the problems we were having. He checked the safe – it did not work, he checked our phone – it could not receive any incoming calls, and he apologized for everything and told us how embarrassed he was that our complaints were not dealt with. I said that I just wanted someone to follow through and fix these small problems which were snowballing into an unpleasant stay. He said he would personally handle everything and that we would see an acknowledgment on the bill upon checking out and offered to take care of dinner – however, we had dinner plans elsewhere.

I went out for dinner with a lighter feeling as finally someone was going to take responsibility for the unfortunate series of events. In the morning, I received a bill with no type of compensation, so I went to the front desk and embarrassingly had to ask if the manager had left notes in respect to our conversation. The front desk was efficient and could see how upset I was. She told me that another manager, the front desk manager, was away from the desk but would return in a few minutes. During this time, she politely questioned me about the problems we had encountered as I did not want to keep rehashing and reliving my complaints; which she understood and respected. I finally told her that I was terribly upset that I had wasted my time by a)telling employees of the Sagamore –all of which I could assume had the authority to tend to day-to-day guest relations in their ordinary course of business; and b) staying at the Sagamore altogether since we could have been accommodated at The Setai. She then flagged down the manager with our bill asking what should she do and to my dismay he barely broke his stride. He never even acknowledged us, he simply waved his hand and kept walking with the words “Just take the first three items off the bill” trailing behind him. The girl at the front desk looked embarrassed, I was becoming increasingly emotional and just wanted to leave we were checking out that day. She took care of our bar bills for us and gave us a later checkout and I had told her that I was grateful that she could help us as we were checking out that afternoon.

As we were getting ready to check out (I was actually getting dressed) housekeeping kept coming into our room saying that we did not have a late checkout. I said to just call downstairs as I had really had it by this point.

This letter is one of the only letters I have written to a hotel about the unacceptable level of organization and service. For greater clarity, I want to let you know the other staff – i.e. the pool attendants, beach attendants, the spa staff, were excellent. Ironically, it was the behavior of management that was truly disappointing.

.......

The general manager did get back to me right away but never followed through on his promises either. I guess that's just the way this hotel rolls.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank jsquared1234
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Sagamore for three nights at the end of January, and were very satisfied with the hotel and its service. The lobby and garden are impeccable and very impressive, the modern art motif is sleek and cool, the pool was heated and never overcrowded, and the oceanfront beach cannot be beat. The location too is fantastic - a block from Lincoln.

It was also nice staying a small, intimate hotel without the commotion of the bigger party places, and seeing a lot of young families at the hotel, with kids in the pool just as comfortable as the singles and young couples. The Sagamore truly appeals to all ages.

Our room too was very nice, although a bit worn. We stayed in an Ocean Bungalow and while the bed was super comfortable, the suite's finishing's were a bit tired. Small things like some stains on the carpets, and some chips on the furniture that don't really affect the stay, but keep the Sagamore from being a true 5 star property.

But overall, all the staff was courteous and attentive, and we never felt forgotten, or as if the staff were expecting tips (which made us tip them a dollar or two more than if they had copped an attitude). And for the value, the Sagamore cannot be beat. We stayed during the hotel's 3 nights for the price of 2 promotion, and for the overall cost of our stay, we would have paid twice that to stay at the more tony hotels in the Sagamore's vicinity.

Drinks and food too were not overly expensive for the location. The Sagamore did charge us a $10 per person per day fee that included a small continental breakfast and pool/beach service, but it was worth it to have fresh coffee and juice available in the morning and a lounge chair at the beach in the afternoon.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a beachfront hotel close to the action but without the high price tag.

• Liked — It's location, pool, and beach
  • Disliked — Some of the worn hotel room furnishings
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

We went to Sagamore in Jan 09 to celebrate my fiances 30th with a group of friends... and it was a very BAD experiance. The service was horrible and the room was dirty. The hotel staff were not doing their job, they were just minding their business.....When we checked-in, the front desk was not friendly at all, one person working the counter. Then we went up to our room and noticed that there was no plasma TV's as advertized online. We then found a dirty towel in the bathroom. We called the manager, and after 30 min of talking they put us into a smaller room, which also had broken lights, safe wouldn't lock, and not cleaned properly....
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Last year we went to Lowes and had the best service, the best room, the best time ever! The staff at the Lowes is AMAZING and will never experiment with any other hotels such as the Sagamore.

The hotel was dirty, dead and disgusting!!!! Do not go!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The hotel, service, rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barrington, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

First of all, THANK YOU to all those people who wrote all those negative reviews on the Fontainebleau--you saved us from making a big mistake!! We booked The Sagamore at the last minute and got a great deal on their website. The hotel is located right in the middle of the action--right next to The Ritz Carlton and a few doors down from the Delano. It is smaller than hotels on the same strip, and has less amenities, but is quiet, clean and our room was FABULOUS. We were in an ocean front 2 story suite, which had 2 balconies with amazing views. The suite was nicely decorated, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely-and spacious. We walked on the jogging path every day--which is right in back of the hotel, and downtown South Beach was an easy 10 minute walk. The pool is on the smaller side, but very nice, and the outdoor seating was very comfortable. The minuses would be that the food is just ok (terrible coffee) and turndown service was not reliable--we actually called for turndown two nights in a row as we were going out and they never showed. But if you are looking for a quiet, lovely boutique hotel, this is the place to stay. FYI, we did hear that the Sagamore is being bought by an Italian group and they will take over in February, so I don't know what changes they will be bringing.

• Liked — Location and the room
  • Disliked — Turndown service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
NY, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

Don't book Room/suite 518. Shower leaked on the floor; water faucet wouldn't go hot; double bed too small for the two of us: "We never should have booked two people there." Continental breakfast (you pay extra for it) is from the world's smallest continent. What do you expect for $440 ?!

But..the South Beach location is dynamite...the rear garden/ pool is gorgeous...lunch was delicious. The art/pseudo-art on the walls is diverting. All the personnel extremely friendly and helpful. Robert out front quickly retrieved luggage we'd left at the airport (!!)

We'd definitely go back..but with a little more foresight.

nyvoice