Sagamore
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 23 June 2010

This is a great hotel and relatively affordable compare to its neighbors. The hotel is "art" themed with lots of paintings, sculpture, and photos throughout. The decor is Euro chic with "club" music playing throughout, colorful lighting, trendy furnishings, and LCD video displays. It is very trendy and modern. The staff is ultra friendly and helpful. The valet staff is quite attentive and speaks English. The front desk staff is very friendly. The housekeeping staff was friendly, very professional, and also spoke English. We had an oceanfront suite overlooking the garden and pool area and beach in the distance. The room was large and clean with modern and elegant furnishing. We enjoyed the easy beach access and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
chefconcierge, Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Dear jgrakla,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

It is nice to hear we are relatively affordable compared to our neighbors and that you had a great experience at Sagamore.

We are thrilled you found our staff friendly, helpful, and attentive.

I will make sure to pass on your kind comments about the staff to the Housekeeping Director, Front Office Manager, and Valet Manager.

Our rooms are large and elegantly furnished as you pointed out and being right on the beach can’t be beat.

Thank you again for your excellent comments.

We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Chief Concierge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)

Reviewed 21 June 2010

Where to Begin..... the hotel was Wonderful !!! We arrived at the hotel at 10:00 PM. Our room was clean, the air condition worked, and was beautifully decorated. Because we arrived at the hotel at 10:00 PM our room did not have the best view but was informed by the front desk at check in that rooms with a better view would be availiable the next day. We decided not to move rooms the next day but really appreciated that we had the option if we wanted to.

The pool was very nice, clean and the guys set up the beach chairs for you !!! This was our first time to South Beach and will defiantly be staying at this hotel next time. Also the beach is right behind the hotel, so you walk out of your room directly to the beach.....NICE:-)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear djsmomdallas GA,

We are ecstatic about your five-star review. Thank you!

We are thrilled to hear you thought our property was wonderful and our front office staff accommodating.

As you mentioned, our goal is to provide the ultimate experience for all of our guests providing options so our guest can have the best time possible.

Thank you for your comments about our lovely pool and staff.

We are so happy you have decided to return to Sagamore on your next visit to South Beach.

We look forward to your arrival.

Chief Concierge

Reviewed 31 May 2010

Oh where to start? First, never ever ever plan your family vacation on South Beach over Memorial Day. This is the annual Black Beach Week - which means 350,000 urban young people coming to take over the beach with partying, swearing, drinking & drugs, loud music, screaming, etc. Great atmosphere if you are hip urban youth - terrible atmosphere to try to shield your young children from. Which leads me to the first complaint I have of the Sagamore - despite multiple calls to the hotel in preparation for our trip, including one in which we specifically asked about the pull-out sofa to accommodate our CHILDREN in the room - why didn't anyone tell us? I am not kidding, it was like staying in a hotel on bourbon street during mardis gras. During a dinner at the Delano (one of only 2 places we could eat, since we did not feel comfortable walking down the street) their staff expressed shock that the Sagamore staff had not informed us of what would be going on. Before you assume me a closed-minded racist, let me tell you that when we left the hotel for dinner on the 1st night, 2 intoxicated gentlemen yelled at my young son that he was "a little m-f'er" and told my 10 year old daughter that she was "lookin' good!" All hotel staff advised us not to go out on the street.

The noise, oh my God. Screaming, loud partying all night long - from the street. From the hallway. The smell of marijuana coming under the adjoining room door was so strong the last night that it reminded me of a college frat house - and prompted me to pull the mattress off the sofa and pull it into our bedroom so the kids could sleep in there. Condom wrappers and empty beer/liquor bottles in the hallway each morning. I cannot overstate this enough - do not go to South Beach on memorial day unless you want to live in an MTV video.

To the hotel specifically - minimalist modern art decor was nice but would not appeal to all. We did like it. We had the sense that things had been removed for the weekend - it was a little TOO minimalist. There was no restaurant, which is a shock in a hotel at this price point. The American Style breakfast (at $13) was pathetic - fruit and eggs and juice in a paper cup. The free breakfast at Holiday Inn has more to offer. The pool is nice but small - the staff at the bar and poolside were great and responsive. The beach service is abysmal - we had to go get them every time we wanted something and I once had to ask for a menu 4 times before I got it. I did notice they were very attentive to the group of young girls there so perhaps it was again the weekend, they were not prepared to cater to families.

The room was very nice, I found the bed to be comfortable and the suite with kitchen a great perk. Housekeeping was attentive even when we asked for extra items. However, the sofa bed was POSITIVELY AWFUL. It was simply not sleepable. I travel quite extensively with my kids and they are often on a sofa bed in the room, but we have never encountered a bed so uncomfortable. Springs sticking out, huge sag you could see, a very prominent bar across the middle of the bed. Do not count on using this as a bed. Just awful.

Room service was very expensive but also very fast, and the pizzas were very good. This was a good thing since we couldn't really get out after dark.

All in all at $400 a night I was exceptionally disappointed. Probably as disappointed as I have ever been in a trip. Perhaps things would have been dramatically different had we come at another time - I just cannot understand how a property can in good faith book a person in for an expensive holiday without warning them what is going on.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank savtrav22
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed at the Sagamore for 10 days and got married during our stay.
After being let down by another wedding planner, Christian and Tiffany came to the rescue and made our special day perfect from beginning to end.
The location of the hotel is perfect - right on the beach and within walking distance to Ocean and Lincoln, the room was fabulous (garden view suite), the food in the hotel restaraunt was amazing (more people should try it).
What more can we say except PERFECT.

Special thanks to Christian, Tiffany and of course Gustafo (who looked after us on the big day)

See you again soon for one of our wedding anniversaries!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
chefconcierge, Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2010

Dear jools1969,

It was such a great pleasure to meet you both and your charming families. Such a lovely couple deserves a perfect day!

We are so happy to have had the pleasure of assisting you. Thank you for your kind words about Tiffany and I.

I have already mentioned your praises about Gustavo to the restaurant manager.

The food at the restaurant really is excellent isn’t it?

Congratulations once again from our Sagamore family to yours.

We hope to see you again next year on your 1st Anniversary.

Best Wishes from all of us at Sagamore Hotel

Reviewed 12 May 2010

Great as the site of this hotel is the rooms were about the standard of a , low- 3-star hotel: if it was not for the site of the hotel on the glorious Miami Beach I would give it a 2-star. The rooms were not clean, they were tatty and like what you'd see in a hostel. This place needs a huge renovation. For prices charged of $500 + a night this is just unacceptable. Thumbs down all the way around. Apart from the view from the back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
chefconcierge, Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2010

Dear Arrivingguest,

Thank your for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the hotel.

We are disappointed to hear that you thought the rooms not clean and “tatty”.

Please know that we I will pass this on directly to the Director of Housekeeping so she can investigate this matter further.

We hope there is a way to win you back to Sagamore.

Please contact me or the general manager directly so we can arrange for you to visit us again and have a terrific stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 12 May 2010

I stayed at the Sagamore with four girlfriends in two rooms (a double bed suite and a king studio) for a Thursday through Sunday. Upon entering the hotel, we were warmly greeted by all the staff. The suite room was spacious and the kitchenette area was perfect for group. The king studio was also decently sized. Both rooms were well appointed. There seemed to be several groups of ladies, fewer groups of guys, many couples, and a few couples with young toddlers staying at the hotel. The age group ranged from late 20s-mid 40s. The decor and modern art--while all of it was not necessarily my taste--added to the vibe of the hotel. I can understand some of the complaints by other posters--with things like aging furniture, cleanliness, and limited poolside chairs. Some of the furnishings did show wear-and-tear (scuff marks, broken window shade, dented lamp shade, older kitchen appliances). As for the clean factor, the rug in our suite did need more vacuuming and one day we didn't receive any cleaning service or fresh towels. The pool and beach service was excellent (though expensive), and I did witness some guests looking for poolside lounge chairs to no avail. Also to note, wireless Internet access was spotty in both rooms, there wasn't a business office to print anything out, and two of our keycards stopped working (we had a few among us so we didn't need to get another issued but that could have been highly irritating otherwise). None of these things really impacted our stay too much and we very much enjoyed ourselves. If you are looking for more nightlife without leaving the hotel, I'd suggest either the Gansevoort or Delano. Because of the price and our preference for going out to different spots, the Sagamore was the right pick for us despite the snags during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
chefconcierge, Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Thank you for you invaluable feedback.

We are happy to hear you were warmly greeted by our staff.

We are sorry about your comments regarding the room furniture, the cleanliness of the rug, and the servicing of towels.

I will make sure to pass this on to our Director of Housekeeping and Engineering department so they can address the issues you have enumerated.

We are very happy to hear you found the pool and beach service excellent.

We do provide printing at both the front desk and concierge desk for your convenience.

We are glad to hear your preference was Sagamore for the price and for our terrific location.

Please feel free to contact me directly or the General Manager so we can ensure your next stay will be perfect.

Reviewed 29 April 2010

We found a great rate online for this hotel, for 4 girls in one room with a king bed in a separate bedroom and a pullout double in the living room. There was a kitchen as well.
I spent a LOT of time researching hotel rooms for a girls weekend away. I really think this was the best priced for what we got. The concierges Christian and Kealy are very friendly and helpful. It has a perfect little tranquil pool area with drink and food service poolside (the tortilla chips and guacamole and the burgers are really good). The pool and beach chairs are really cozy. There is no blaring techno music or silly las vegas style pool scene. It's just a really nice environment with really friendly staff. The restaurant is quiet at night, but it's kind of nice to not be in a hotel full of people and noises. The hotel itself is really pretty, with great art all over. The breakfast is a hot breakfast and pretty good. I will definitely go

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
chefconcierge, Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

Dear Beesmit,

Thank you for your fantastic review!

It’s nice to hear how much you liked our pretty hotel and the art throughout the property.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the pool. Our chairs at both the pool and beach are cozy as you pointed out.

Our pool scene is rather subdued as you mentioned. We want to ensure that our guests are able to have a relaxing experience.

We are thrilled to hear you found our staff friendly.

Thank you for your kind words about our department.

We strive to be friendly and helpful with all our guests.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can ensure you have another terrific stay.