“Sloppy Service”
Review of The Sagamore Hotel

The Sagamore Hotel
Ranked #94 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 18 June 2007

A friend and I stayed at the Sagamore Hotel in early June. I had read the other reviews on TripAdvisor and was looking forward to be dazzled by their service – unfortunately this was far from true. When we first arrived we were told that our room wasn’t ready (we arrived after 4pm) and that somebody would call us. After checking out the pool & beach we went for a walk. When the front desk finally called us over 40mins later we were taken up to a very tired looking room over looking Collins Ave – the windows weren’t double glazed and there were numerous marks on the walls. Everything went down hill from there – we constantly had to ring housekeeping to get the sofa bed made up. The room continually wasn’t cleaned until after 4pm – even then it was far from spotless. We never received our nightly turn down service, the room didn’t contain a room safe, dvd or cd player. I was visiting from London and will definitely not stay at the Sagamore again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sophia043
Write a ReviewReviews (1,925)

Reviewed 18 May 2007

My all around experience at the Sagamore was good. They did not have our room ready when we arrived. They did give us free drinks at the bar to compensate. Our room was nicley decorated. In general, the staff was helpful.I left my sunglasses in the room and called 3 times to check and see if anyone found them. No one from the hotel ever called to let me know. This was very dissapointing. This is a smaller hotel, I was suprised at the size of the pool. On the positive side, the pool area is a great place to hang out at on the weekend nights. As far as location goes, it was great. We walked to dinner a couple of nights. If I ever go back to South Beach I may try the Ritz which is right next door. But if you are looking for an "art deco" and very "Miami" hotel, I would suggest the Sagamore.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2007

I just got back from a long weekend in SoBe and we stayed at the Sagamore Hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by my stay. The room was very comfortable and large. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a separate living room/dining area. The room was furnished modern without being stark and uninviting (think Shore Club rooms). We had a corner unit with oversized windows and sunlight. We didn’t have much of a view or a balcony but this was ok because it still got plenty of light. The place was right on par with the previous reviews- great location, chic lobby, nice crowd and very friendly staff. I know most people read these reviews to get the negatives so here they are:

Food: While Social has a great Friday night party (we go there every time we come to SoBe) the food is sub par. We dined here a few months back and the food was just not good. We waited ONE HOUR after having a reservation for 11 pm. Finally after much bickering with the hostess (and do they throw attitude!) we were seated at midnight- grumpy and hungry. The dishes were small, bland and below average. And seriously overpriced. So this time around we avoided Social for dinner but did order lunch pool side. We paid $65 for food that was served cold. The server admitted that the food system during the day didn’t work- the kitchen was too far and the food would sit for a while before it would come out. Lesson learned but quite honestly it’s very annoying to have to leave the hotel to bring food back everyday. I don’t mind paying $65 for lunch if it’s worth it. We are New Yorkers- we have the best restaurants here and I dine out all the time. A chic atmosphere may “wow” you the first time around but eventually it’s the food that will keep you coming back. Go to Nobu or the newly opened Bond Street instead. Have drinks at Social before you head out.

Pool: This was really the one major aspect of the hotel that I actually disliked. The pool itself is very small and only goes up to 5 feet. This doesn’t bother me so much as I am a sunbather not a swimmer. HOWEVER, there are only 20 lounge chairs around the pool. I know because I counted. The rest (all 30 of them) are in the back of the pool on a small rectangle of sand. Needless to say, if you are not out poolside at the crack of dawn (um, it’s SoBe, this is when we crawled in the night before) you can’t sit by the pool. AT ALL. Even more discerning is that one morning when did actually did make it out at 8 am, the pool area was filthy. There were cups, cigars, newspapers etc littering the area immediately under our chairs. This was really unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber. We left and went to the beach.

Children: While there were a few kids staying in the hotel, there really wasn’t an issue with them being loud other than normal kid play in the pool. A previous poster wrote that families come here because it’s cheaper. I have actually seen more kids in the pool at the Loews and the Ritz Carlton than I did here. Kids are people- they will be where their families take them. SoBe or not, you can’t (and really shouldn’t) complain about that.

Overall: I really enjoyed our stay here and I would definitely come back. I think I would get a room with a balcony and a view of the ocean next time around. The hotel wasn’t perfect but the staff was friendly and attentive and that goes far with me.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RoxxyGirl
Reviewed 10 May 2007

This hotel is absolutely fabulous!
We were made to feel very welcome by the staff at the Sagamore.
Their bed is the best bed I have ever slept in on holiday!
There is also a seated area by the pool where flat-screen TVs are situated and, you can also access Miami beach and it's Boardwalk behind the pool.
The hotel is within walkng distance to Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive.
All the pictures on their website are accurate however, I have not seen the new changes (e.g. the salon) as yet. I am sure they will be just as fabulous as the rest of the hotel.

We loved visiting the Sagamore and Miami and we are returning there again this year! Caliente!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank silvar77
Reviewed 19 April 2007

We stayed here for a week, March 07. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk wasn't as friendly as I had heard the staff would be; also our room was not ready, though it was past check-in time. A couple of bells went off and I hoped our choice of hotel wouldn't turn out to be a mistake. We went to the pool bar and enjoyed some great mango mojitos and appetizers. Shane, the bartender, was awesome. Friendly, helpful, and a great bartender. The drinks were so good we almost didn't notice that a couple of hours went by and our room still wasn't ready. Well, the manager got wind of our problem, came out and took half the night's price off of our room, paid our (quite expensive, by now) bar bill, and promised us a better room the following night.

It was kind of a pain to have to move, but they really went out of their way to provide good service. The next day, our room, which was a full-ocean view suite, was ready early so that we could easily move from one room to the other. The rooms are really spacious, as others have mentioned. A faucet broke in our bathroom one day, and maintenance was there to fix it within minutes of my call. The elevators, especially the rear one, were a pain but we took the stairs a lot (they should really give those stairwells a coat of clean paint !)

I really liked the rooms we were in because they had been updated and had views of the gardens/water. I could see, passing down the long hallways, some of the other, older rooms, and they didn't look appealing, but I'm sure they are fine, and good for the price.

One odd thing: the corridors have the dirtiest-looking, mangy old carpets. I was very surprised, because the rooms are so white and clean.

Our friends were staying at the Delano so I got to compare and really, the Delano's lovely, but I really hate when a hotel room gets up over 700 a night.

All in all, the Sagamore offers very good value. It's a great location, with a good staff.

Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank epilogue
Reviewed 18 April 2007

Our stay overlapped that of the previous reviewer who was annoyed by the "screaming kids" at the pool. We had one of the "screaming kids". Maybe she is very sensitive because it was maybe 6 kids max just splashing around having a good time. The hotel advertises itself as family friendly, even to the point of having a "Kids VIP" pass. It's not like any kids are hanging out at Social Miami at midnight. Most people there seemed to enjoy the mix of families, couples and singles.

It would take maybe 5 min of research to find a hotel without kids if that is what you want.

The pool is small but I have no earthly idea what anyone would do with a larger pool. Swim laps??? Most hiptards just lounge anyway. And the beach is right next to the pool.

The lobby and Social Miami are gorgeous. The hallway floors are really old and musty. Surprised they haven't put some money towards that. Rooms are nice but not what you expect after seeing the lobby and Social Miami.

Staff is generally friendly.

It's a very good spot that could be a great spot.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family