“A truly great oasis with exceptional staff and customer service.”
Review of Sagamore

Sagamore
Ranked #82 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
hamilton
“A truly great oasis with exceptional staff and customer service.”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed at the Sagamore for three nights following a trip to Europe and a transatlantic cruise. My wife and I were very impressed with the staff and customer service at this eclectic hotel located directly on the ocean. After researching this hotel on Tripadvisor I was fairly confident we were going to a good hotel with some character but by the time we left we were amazed by the consistently excellent customer service and genuinely helpful staff. My wife teaches who teaches customer service for a very well regarded company is planning to incorporate our very positive experience in her presentations.

We rate it as one of best experiences we have every had at any hotel we have stayed at. We will be back, and will highly recommend it to our family and friends.

The suite we had was spacious and well organized, exactly as described on the hotel website. Even though it was advertised as a non ocean view room we still had a bit of a view which was a pleasant surprise. Our top floor room located on the fifth floor was a bit tired as the last renovation several years ago but it was clean and very comfortable. The nightly turn down service was a nice touch. The bed and bedding was of excellent quality so we had a great sleep. I expected to hear some street noise given our location near the street but it was not noticeable at all. Upon check in the room seemed a bit dark at night and called down to the front desk for some new light bulbs and within 5 minutes the service attendant had arrived and fixed the problem. The front desk followed through promptly to ensure our issues had been addressed.

We liked the pool area which was nicely laid out next to the boardwalk. The pool area staff were extremely helpful in setting up chairs and addressing any needs. The background music was just that, background music, so the pool was a nice oasis to relax in with very comfortable loungers. One day we used the hotel's beach area (100 yd walk to the ocean) located directly in front of the hotel on the "Sagamore Plan" which included a chair, towels and a good basic breakfast of eggs, cereals, fruits, and breads etc. We found the $14 fee p/person to be a good value but we much preferred the pool area for just lounging.

We like to walk and we found the location of the hotel perfect. The hotel was very close to Lincoln Ave with its pedestrian mall area and within easy walking distance of Luminx park and the art deco strip of hotels. We walked a lot and felt very safe in the main tourist areas. The concierge was very helpful with suggestions and provided maps etc to help plan our day.

The art displays were a nice touch which complemented the white decor of the public areas and we enjoyed taking some time enjoying displays which appealed to us.

I realize I could write a book to record the great service but I am going to close with the following. We had already decided we felt that this hotel had the best overall service we had experienced in over 35 years of traveling across all five continents before we checked out. But they confirmed it when I realized while on route home to Canada I had forgotten my winter coat. I contacted the hotel who quickly located it and made arrangements to ship it back. The front desk and other staff followed up quickly and made calls confirming the steps they were taking throughout. Unbelievable followup service.

Overall.

This is a fine boutique hotel nestled in between some large hotel complexes which made it feel like an oasis in between large impersonal monoliths. The hotel had good amenities, with a comfortable but eclectic feel with the art displays concept. The hotel while very nice was made exceptional by the staff who in every case was pleasant, and genuinely helpful in making our stay enjoyable. e.g. if they were even close to a door, they would get there first to open for you.
Kudo's to Morgan, Juan Carlos, Gregore and all the front desk/office staff.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, 18 November 2010
Dear Coppermike,

We thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. It is great to hear such detailed feedback about our staff and our property overall.

It is evident that you guys are seasoned travelers so it makes it all the more special when we hear your review of our property.

We thank you so much for choosing the Sagamore and look forward to your next stay here with us.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Thanks to Lucracia, my boyfriend and I had an amazing stay at The Sagamore. We left Boston early and arrived before our room was ready, but she made sure that housekeeping made it next on their list. We had an amazing bungalow right by the pool and I liked the room a lot more than The Delano. The property was gorgeous, the pool was perfect and service was impeccable. We are looking forward to our return for Thanksgiving week.

Dear Allisonstone,

Thanks for your terrific 5 star review. We are happy to hear that our staff was able to make such a great impression with you.

Our staff takes great pride in their service level and I am glad that you were able to see that during your stay.

Thank you again for choosing Sagamore and we will be awaiting your arrival Thanksgiving week.

long island new york
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I went with a group of girlfriends for girls weekend away! This property was perfect. Small Boutique Hotel, which creates a very personal feeling.
Accommodations, Location, and Staff and Vibe were all Amazing.
Jacquelin at the font desk was so helpful.Pablo at the pool was great. Great Mojitos at the pool! The beds were so comfortable.Can't wait for our next visit. We are going to make it an annual trip! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Good Afternoon Lk1264

Thank you for for our wonderful 5 star review. We are glad that you and your girlfriends had such a great time in south beach on your girls weekend.

Being a boutique property has its advantages and we are glad that you were able to enjoy the personal service that we strive for on our property.

We are glad that you plan on making Sagamore your destination for your annual trip. We look forward to seeing you next year.

ny
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I purchased the bungalow room. I was extremely nervous since I have stayed in other hotels in South Beach and found them to be dirty and overpriced.

We had to walk through a long dirty out dated hallway to get to our bungalow. For the price I paid I felt I was walking through the staff's corridor. We arrived in the room which stunk like air freshener. I have no allergies and instantly my nose began to plug up. The bedroom upstairs was clean along with the bathroom. The living room carpet was dirty and the room seemed over used.

Walking out our glass door, the small sitting area was dirty. We went to the pool and bought 1 Pepsi for 7.00!. I looked down at the small pool where four people were floating and saw several large phlegm globs floating around in it.

I went back to sit in a sitting area near my room to take a breather. The seats were dirty and I feared there were many unseen stains for sex romps on them. Everything was dirty.

Back in the room I started seeing greasy finger prints on the glass. Dirty tile and the air freshener smell was killing me.

I then made my husband pack our stuff and we checked out.

Dear Reliablemovers315,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. I apologize that you did not have a good experience with us and it is unfortunate that you left the property early.

All of the issues you mentioned in your review have been addressed by the respective departments and we are working diligently to correct these problems which you encountered. I would love the chance to speak with you directly regarding your stay.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience if you would like to do so. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

James.Dagostino@Sagamorehotel.com
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We have had such a bad experience, I'm not sure where to start. We were traveling as a family of 4 and booked 4 nights ate Sagamore several months in advance.

We reserved a 2-story ocean bungalow based on the floor plan online, but were shocked to learn when we arrived that the floor plan online is misleading. In fact, the bungalow neither had a sectional wrap around sofa nor a dining table for 6. We were moved (after 2 nights) to a garden bungalow which was the unit actually depicted online as the ocean bungalow. The additional space was exactly what we needed, and what we would have booked if the diagram online had been accurate.

The fold out beds in both units were unfit for sleep. It felt criminal to even expect our children to sleep on the sagging heap.

In our first room, the upstairs sliding glass door was broken (stuck open) and we had to report it 3 times before it was fixed. In the intervening 30 hours, we were subjected to the thumping bass beat from all-night parties at the Delano.

The clock was set incorrectly and no one could help us reset it.

In the second room, the hardware was broken and hanging off the bathroom door. The hotel has seen better days and it shows.

The hallway smelled like bug spray, but that did nothing to keep the bugs at bay. Even in late October, we all awoke with mosquito bites.

The breakfast buffet was disgusting and never changed. We didnt know croissants could be soggy!

The male servers were lovely. The females acted like we didn't exist.

The Sagamore Plan is a joke. For $64 per day we were entitled to: free local calls, free Internet, 4 beach chairs, and the sad, soggy breakfast. Well, there is no password for the wireless so we could have used that even without the plan. Signs onthe phones say local calls are free so that was clearly misleading to say we needed the plan. And, twice when we went to the beach, the attendant had closed up shop and gone home so there were no chairs to be had (the neighboring Ritz, National, and Delano beach stands were still open.)

The hotel feels like it's on the verge of closing...the lobby bar is closed and gives the hotel a vacant feel.

We did not mind the stark minimalist decor, but all that white shows the wear and tear. The entire facility is in need of a coat of paint.

On our last day we went to the pool only to find a photo shoot had invaded. Our kids could swim so long as they stayed in the shaded deep end and didn't enter the model's shot. We couldnt even find a cabana boy to set up a chair (the regular one was off).

The valet parking attendants had their work cut out for them. Even when we called 30 minutes ahead, our car was never ready. But, that's ok, the hotel manager's was since he has them keep his parked right out front in one of the only spaces.

The best thing we can say is that the cabana boy, Gregory, is a delight. He understands service and is a sunny spot in an otherwise overcast hotel.

• Stayed November 2010
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Dear Travelerthehorse,

First let me say thank you for taking the time to post a review on our property as we do indeed value any feedback as it can only help us in the future in providing the proper service.

I would like to apologize to you for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. We spend a great deal of time checking our rooms and making sure that all of our rooms and amenities are up to par.

There was obviously some miscommunication on our end which may have led to some of your problems. We will be looking into all issues mentioned and we will definitely make sure that all are fixed promptly.

We do hope that you will return to The Sagamore so that you may get the proper Sagamore experience.

Once again thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and I look forward to meeting you upon your next visit to Miami.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss these issues that you experienced here with us.

London
Reviewed 1 November 2010

this is my 5th trip to Miami and my 5th hotel on south beach all in the 4-5* catagory, the travel agent made a mistake with the room request and to the credit of the hotel as we were there over the busy haloween weekend they did all they could to accomadate intially we spent the 1st night in a bungalow room and then were moved to a seaview (perferred this to the bungalow- very large, well thought out with a fanatstic view & balcony) for the remainder of the stay. My irritation at the situation was made very clear and was handled very well by the front of house staff who seemed to do all they could to appease us. Infact The entire staff from beach staff to the bellman that we came into contact with were super friendly and polite and some of the other hotels we have stayed in , in Miami could learn a thing or two from the sagamore staff I was very impressed I would definitely stay here again it has a nice feel about it, it is very clean well appointred rooms & great location .

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Dear Klaassen,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review on our property. I am glad that we were able assist you at check-in and ultimately get you into the room that you wanted.

Being an all suite property, all of our rooms are spacious, however many people do have a preference over the oceanfront or 2 story Bungalow.

Both rooms are very large and the perfect size if you are traveling with your family. I am pleased to hear that our staff was so accommodating to you as we always do try to go the extra mile for our guests.

We hope to see you on your next trip down to South Beach.

Guest Relations
TX
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Hotel was great. Stayed four nights as long weekend. First night stayed in "City View" room. Mistake for us as we are light sleepers. Next morning Jacquelyn was extremely helpful with finding a quite room. Fonzie at the beach was also very helpful and courteous. Will likely be back.

Dear TxBr549,

We thank you for your 4 star review of our property. We greatly value all feedback as it helps us move forward in providing a wonderful guest experience to all.

I am glad that you guys were able to fully enjoy your South Beach experience and our staff was able to assist you in finding a quiet room.

We look forward to your return to The Sagamore.