“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #21 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dallas
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I recently visited The Hotel, as we celebrated our 30th anniversary.

We were very pleased with our experience; the room was clean and exactly as represented, with good amenities for the size and location. The staff were exceptional, with excellent recommendations of restaurants and other activities from the gentlemen manning the concierge desk. The location is excellent for exploring on foot, the hotel is exactly one block from the beach, and the beach amenities (included in your room rate) are also excellent. We will certainly visit the property again; while not cheap, and a Miami Beach which is priced for Europeans, we felt this hotel was a fine value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank V35A
Goldman P, CRM Specialist at The Hotel of South Beach, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear V35A,

Let us begin by saying congratulations on 30 years of marriage and a celebratory vacation well deserved! We are very happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate all of your needs and provide you with excellent service making your getaway that much more special and memorable.
It’s so nice to hear you were able to journey through our magical city and enjoy what it has to offer. We are also very glad that you were able to take advantage of the hotel amenities and have a great time at the beach! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future. Wishing you many more years of happiness!

Sophia Gomez, CRM Specialist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
portland,oregon, USA
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I just got done staying here for a week,and was very disappointed upon arrival in seeing the room. The photos from the website made the hotel,and the rooms look much nicer then they are. I had a cigarette burn on my bedspread, a stain on a wood piece by the mirror, and all the furniture looked very tired,and stained. I think the hotel was amazing when it was first done, but hasn't been kept up. Also, I was shocked that the windows were frosted and I couldn't look out my window it made me feel like I was in prison. I have never stayed at a hotel that is a 4 star place and not been able to look out the window. Also, the bed isn't a queen size bed as promised. The ice machine was right across from my room (315),and I asked to be moved because of the noise. The guy at the front desk said it's in a room,and I said "So I can still hear it". He said he would do his best to move me I saw him again,and he said nothing. So, I realize he totally blew me off,and didn't even try.

The location is excellent though,and in a quiet area. The rooms are paper thin,and I could hear all my neighbors,and people talking in the hallways. John the concierge was excellent I would give him an A for helping book excursions,and finding places for me to hear live music. I would give John a raise for sure. Also, Loris by the pool,and Karen very friendly. So, I found the staff mixed. Some very friendly and helpful,and others not so much. I did ask for a room that I could look out and the same guy that shined me on said that would be $50 more a night. If I was in customer service I would have done a free upgrade. I have never been so shocked checking into a hotel to have no way of looking out. As a result I wouldn't recommend this hotel except for the great concierge John.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NikolasPDX
Dear NikolasPDX,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your Trip Advisor review posting. Please accept my sincere apology for the disappointment you encountered upon your arrival to our hotel. Please understand that in regards to the furnishings, the hotel has chosen to preserve the original design in order to maintain the original essence of the hotel. But please have my assurance that we will be immediately looking into the bedspread issue and stains on the furnishings. As for the frosted windows, that is done in an effort to block out the alleyways for the rooms that do not offer a view. We also do it to offer privacy of the neighboring buildings. Because of the original construction in South Beach, hotels and other buildings stand very close to one another and rooms located on the rear or alley side of the building offer little to no view or privacy. We do hope you will consider visiting us again so that we could place you within a room that is not in the rear or an alley and offers a better view and non-frosted windows.

As for the beds, all of our rooms only offer a queen or king size bed with the exception of double bed rooms. The double bed rooms come with two full sized beds. Were you in a double bed room? Our apologies that you felt overlooked by one of our staff members and we will look into this issue. On the other hand, I will make sure to pass on to John the very kind comments about his service.
Again, our sincerest apologies and we do hope you will return and give us another opportunity to offer you an experience that will instead leave you with wonderful memories.

Kindest Regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The Hotel of South Beach is located on Collins and only one block away from Ocean Drive. It is manned by a friendly, helpful staff and the service was excellent. As to be expected with an older property, the room and bath was small. Apparently there is no soundproofing in the walls between rooms, since we could hear our noisy neighbors as if they were standing in our room! If you plan on going to South Beach to party like our noisy neighbors, this is the place. They had a wonderful night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Goldman P, CRM Specialist at The Hotel of South Beach, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear FarbeitfromMe,

Thank you for the review from your stay at The Hotel of South Beach. We are happy to know that the staff and service was excellent during your stay. But we are also just as sorry to hear that you experienced noise issues from the neighboring room making your stay somewhat uncomfortable.

I wish that we would have known about the noise complaint during your stay so that we could have possibly moved you or done something to make your stay more comfortable. Was someone able to speak to you about the noise during your visit? We do hope you will give us another opportunity to host you. I would like to personally assist you in making those arrangements in order to offer you the experience you deserve.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and again, my sincerest apologies.

Sophia Gomez , CRM Specilist
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a girls weekend. Central location and we did a lot of walking to restaurants and shopping. Close to the beach too. The carpeting in the room looked a little threadbare and stained but otherwise the suite was roomy and comfortable. Unfortunately, our room was above the hotel restaurant which blasted music from late afternoon until 11pm even when there was nobody in the restaurant eating. We could also hear the street noise on Collins Ave and the voices of other guests at the hotel. Enjoyed the pool area which had couches to sit on to get out of the sun and a bar. However, the glass of wine I had at the pool was very overpriced (it's not a restaurant after all) and was not a great vintage. Kind of surprised by that since there was a considerable amount of drinking going on all day long at the pool.
The concierge and other staff was very helpful and friendly. If you want to be in the middle of the action and plan to do a lot of partying, this is a good place to stay. If you want peace and quiet, choose a hotel in a different part of South Beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Goldman P, CRM Specialist at The Hotel of South Beach, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear elizabethjane1008,

Thank you for your review and feedback of your recent stay at The Hotel of South Beach. We are glad you enjoyed your stay but apologize about the inconveniences you encountered such as noise level and stains on the carpeting. I will make sure to point this out to our Director of Housekeeping so that he will ensure all guestroom carpeting is free of stains. Unfortunately, the restaurant and rooftop bar is of different ownership but I will touch base with the restaurant management in regards to music noise level and content.
I am happy to hear that our staff was attentive to your needs and offered you great service. We hope you will return to visit us again soon as I would like to personally assist you in your future travel arrangements to Miami to ensure that you are placed in a room that offers more peace as well as have an impeccable experience.
Again, thank you for staying with us and our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

New Jersey
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel from Friday to Sunday in April. It is an interesting setup. The main lobby where they also serve breakfast is on Collins Avenue. Our room was a short  walk on the street to Ocean Drive. The view comes at a price. It was VERY noisy as there is a bar down stairs that is open 24/7. The room itself I must say is really nice and a very good size. It is brand new and modern. They also have a small but nice gym on forth floor overlooking the very small pool. I would NOT recommend staying here with kids if they like water activities.

The staff at check in and bell boy service is fine and helpful. The servers both in restaurant and rooftop pool deck is really not working very well at all! Friday after a day at the beach we wanted a quick drink and snack at the pool around 5 PM before heading out for dinner. We ordered a platter of fresh fruit. We got our drinks but after a 45 min wait for the fruit we gave up on that. The bartender apologized but only because we asked for the fruit. He didn't offer any compensation in any way. And he still automatically charged 18%tip!!!
The day after we had a severe thunderstorm with lots of rain for hours. When the sun came out around 3 PM we went for the rooftop pool. Everything was naturally soaked. When I went to get a towel they were out of towels and when pressed couldn't tell me if they would get anymore that day! All of a sudden the bartender from the day before showed up with some towels but there was obviously no communication between the two.
When I went to the bar I almost slipped on the painted/varnished deck because the pool deck was soaked from the rain. I wasn't too worried about it as I am young and nothing probably would have happened to me but I felt I wanted to tell the bartender in charge that they might want to put up one of their caution signs until everything had dried up. The bartender just snapped at me: " well, it is a pool area"! I just know that my insurance company would have had a field trip suing the hotel if something had happened to me. It was not pool water on the deck it was loads of rain water.  I had signed no waiver that I was in that area at own risk.

The first day we went for breakfast we were quickly seated.......then NOTHING! We waited for 10 min and NO waiter in sight. This was not a good sign so we gave up as we didn't want to spend too much time on this simple  task. We walked up the road to Aroma a really nice cafe with lots of coffee and food options. Highly recommend doing that also because the cost is a fraction of the hotel breakfast.

Saturday night we went for the rooftop bar "Spire".  The bartender there couldn't be more helpful. He found the best and driest seats. Were incredibly attentive. I wish I could remember his name. He was working on April 13. The hotel should let him show the bartenders at the pool that weekend how to provide really excellent service. It doesn't take much to be nice and helpful.

No, we will not return and not recommend.We were in Miami to get out of cold NJ so we wanted just to enjoy and relax.
The whole pool experience and lack of service at breakfast were just too annoying. The room was not cleaned before very late in the afternoon. But on the plus side, they do provide free wifi.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen1997,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your feedback. My sincerest apology that you did not leave with a happy experience. I would like you to know that we have contacted the Food & Beverage department in reference to the problems you encountered with service, wait times, and overall negative experience at the restaurant and the pool. We do hope you will give us another opportunity again in the future to serve you and make up for the negative experience. Please inform me if there is any way that we may reach out to you to discuss your experience in further detail or to further assist you regarding this matter.
You may reach me directly at sophiag@goldmanproperties.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I came to South Beach to celebrate my birthday with my best friend; we stayed in a Couture room, which indeed had a king sized bed. It was clean, modern, and i LOVED the mirrors everywhere (two girls CAN fight over a mirror). The location was great too, since it's not right ON Ocean Drive (so the noise from the strip wasn't an issue) but you're close enough to feel as though you're there.
The staff was absolutely wonderful, friendly and helpful. The bellhops, who also worked concierge, were super attentive, helping me pick the best spots to celebrate my big day (whether it was the best spot on the beach to get a tan, the best place to get food, to party, etc.).
Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because my room faced the alley and the garbage truck woke me up at 7 am (after partying all night, NOT ideal) on a Saturday morning. Also, I was charged for using the mini-bar, which I didn't. However, they were very gracious about this and quickly took the charge off my card.
I was able to see what people have said about the paper thin walls, but I only heard other guests during the day; they never woke me up in the middle of the night, so it wasn't an issue for me at all.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear xinbermz,

Thank you for your very kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and had such great service from our staff.
The mirrors are a great touch to the design of the rooms and definitely useful for the ladies!
We would like to wish you another happy birthday and hope that we get to host you again soon!

Warm wishes,
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Staff very friendly and helpful. Pay for location, right in the middle of South Beach, can walk to everything. However, bath is size of airplane restroom. Only stayed 2 nights and could not have lasted longer due to room/bath size.

• Stayed April 2013