“A bad experience”

Ranked #20 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Arundel
“A bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

"The Hotel" is a very nice place, things just did not go well during our two night stay. Having been shown to our room after checking in the first thing that hit me was that it stunk of cannabis (as did the corridor)! The member of staff didn't say a thing but once he had left the room my wife said exactly the same thing. We tried not to think much of it, opened the window which seemed to help and then went to the pool. On returning we had the same problem; it was so strong. To cut a long story short, the corridor and our room again stunk of cannabis when we returned from dinner. I told the member of staff at the desk and, whilst not being rude, said a room change would not be possible. She instead sent security up to our floor. Moving forward, in the morning the room still stunk. This time my wife went and complained (to a different member of staff) who moved us immediately. My wife was not in the best of moods having not slept at all. The smell didn't help but also the room above us had incredibly creaky floorboards (this was apparent when we were moved up to the 3rd floor). You could literally hear every step the people above were taking and they seemed to be up all night! Luckily I can sleep through anything but it was very loud.

After being moved we had a much better 2nd night, although noise was still an issue. We were positioned opposite the elevator door: not good. Could hear it going up and down and when people were chatting it felt like they were in the room with us.

I imagine that we were just very unfortunate during our stay at "The Hotel". It is a beautiful building, the pool is great and, on the whole, the staff were very friendly and helpful. However, I don't expect to stay anywhere that smells like a drug den and the noise was an issue throughout. Would I return? I would be tempted to give them another try but the first experience didn't leave a great impression.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Luke1301

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

we stayed this past weekend from a cruise and we checked in early, the service staff was very friendly and gave us good tips on where to eat and where to go visit. in particular David and Daniel are the two people who were outstanding and very helpful. The front desk guy who worked saturday morning ( can't remember his name) was also outstanding with the ease of checking in early and back out. They held our luggage for a few hours while we wait for our late flight. My only complaint is that it could be a bit quieter at night but in the hotels defense it was a sat night in south beach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher H
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Everything was perfect. I had such a good weekend. The room was gorgeous, seconds away from the beach. Everyone is so sweet and helpful, I swear compliments must have been included in the room price. I felt like royalty all weekend. Adrian, at the bar was wonderful. John, the concierge really hooked it up with the whole Miami experience, and Danny was super sweet and helped me save a little money, too. It was my 21st birthday and they really made me feel special. Thank you all so much! My only complaint would be that the walls are very thin and you could hear just about everything going on in the rooms from the hallway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank endlesssssummer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The staff (and especially Dan) is very helpful. The rooms are big, bathroom is small but when you take turnes, big enough. From the pool on the roof you can see the Atlantic Ocean. The internet is rather slow. Maybe this was the case because the hotel was full but I think it is not expensive for the Hotel to expand the bandwidth. The Hotel offers as an extra service chairs and towels on the beach. It is a bit of a shame that the umbrella is not included and we had to pay $15 for it. The concierge desk (John) is very good. Besides booking a tour John also provided us with good restaurants in the evening. The Hotel is in the middle of the Art Deco District and only one block from Ocean Drive and the beach.
If we would stay in Miami Beach again, we will come back to The Hotel.

Room Tip: windows of the rooms are good to keep the noise outside. The hallways are more noisy. Make sure not...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Cozy, causal, & classy hotel. The staff is awesome. Friendly and helpful. Great location & comfortable atmosphere. I would definitely stay there again & recommend this hotel for friends and family. Only minor improvements would be the elevator appearance & a little more lighting in the hallway. They may be aiming for a romantic atmosphere. Pleasantly pleased overall. Enjoyed the stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you are an Art Deco fan this hotel is just the place to stay. They managed to preserve several of the original features, it's perfectly located in the mids of the Art Deco district, close to the beach and restaurants. The pool on the top floor is a nice touch: not to big, but nice for a swim in the afternoon and brilliant to watch the sunset over the ocean.
The room we had was on the 4th floor (highest where they have accommodation). Simple but nice. The bathroom was on the small side, but it did have nice Art Deco features. Two things bothered me: the vanity mirror in the bathroom was dirty (stained by water drops?) on the day we arrived and it was not cleaned throughout our 5-day stay; we like to take an afternoon nap and on two occasions it was impossible because of the rather loud chatter of the cleaning personnel.
What distinguished this place for me was the friendliness of the front desk staff and waiters - so incredibly helpful and kind. Loved the place and would warmly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The lobby area is no where near representative of what the room I was given looks like. As soon as the elevator doors opened I walked into a dimly lit hallway and to my room which reminded me of a dorm. The carpet is buckled and there are lots of visible stains on the fabric on the ottoman in the room. I didn't realize I needed shower shoes for the shower, which was a walk-in and had ants in it. The walls are also paper thin, so I could hear every conversation in the room next door and in the hallway. It is very close to the beach and the roof top pool is nice, but I had a better experience at Epic over the weekend at the same rate. Luckily I only have one more day here...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends